• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Look Out! 25% Commission Is Next For NEW UberX Drivers!

SupaJ

"up to 30 minutes" in Uber speak:

lets say you accept the ping, it takes 12 minutes in traffic to get there, you wait 5 minutes, discuss/enter destination in Nav, 1 minute, drive in traffic 6 miles, 12 minutes = 30 minutes.

I have been starting a timer when I accept a ping, and stopping it after pax exits, it ain't pretty. I have seen 28 minutes to earn a $9.00 (gross) fare.

The more I know, the less I like it.
Don't accept those pings....? Just cancel if it takes more than 5-7 minutes. And I don't mean the app estimate of 5 mins, use your own judgment.

LAuberX

Don't accept those pings....? Just cancel if it takes more than 5-7 minutes. And I don't mean the app estimate of 5 mins, use your own judgment.
OK, lets say you only take 7 minutes to get there, it still can take 25 minutes to gross less than $10.00

this is why including down time and expenses UberX drivers have been seeing minimum wage earnings averages.

doing this very part time, chasing surge hours only can gross higher earnings, but I drive more than 40 hours per week, the surge is a tiny fraction of those hours.

Jeeves

Here comes the new matter of discontent, increased commissions. They are going to squeeze until the bottom, look out below.

StephenJBlue

Is anyone actually surprised that fuber is taking a higher percentage? Anyone who thinks it will not keep going up is blind, stupid, or insane. 30% is not the upper limit. Just wait. They ass @@@@ the drivers so hard. And in new cities with 'ok' rates, those nifty rates will drop once they bring in UberXL and black.

LAuberX

I guess
Don't drive in traffic....? Although, there is always traffic in LA lol
the point I keep trying to make since the last 20% fare chop is that our profits have dropped dramatically.

I don't give a @@@@ about the 90 hour taxi drivers, or the very part time drivers who only work Saturday night, A ball game or concert.

I am talking about what should be full time, 40-45 hours per week with no overtime. The "old" American way that caused people to flock here from all over the globe. The standard of living the top 1% are sucking out of the working class. Travis included.

For Uber to really succeed it needs to be available 24/7, safe clean and reliable.

I really liked the old Uber. So did our clients. I never had a fare complaint in a non surge period ever. EVER. 10 months ago the fares were quite a bit higher and zero complaints about it. Uber and Lyft have a zero cost of providing the service, we pay for everything, we risk everything.....

WE deserve to be paid fairly for the service we provide.

Droosk

Phoenix is a sprawl of a city, and I very rarely get a ping that is more than 5-7 actual minutes away from me. 60% of the time, the people are already waiting for me. For the ones who aren't, if they aren't at my car within 60 seconds, I'm calling them to confirm they are coming, and then start the "meter". If they don't answer, and they aren't at my car within 5 minutes of my arrival, I cancel it with a Client No Show, take my $10 credit ($8 after uber takes their cut...which is weird), and move on.

Uber policy is 5 minutes, and I stick to it like glue.

Just went and looked at my past trips. Found the following:

5.5 miles, 12.5 minutes, $12.17 fare ($8.94 net, 2 of these an hour = $18/hour with very little fuel used)
6.24 miles, 14.5 minutes, $25.78 fare (surge ftw)
6.2 miles, 14.5 minutes, $13.34 fare

I'll take 2 of those an hour all day every day. More accurately, I see closer to 3 of those an hour quite often, especially Thur - Sun. And in between those are the $30 airport runs, and the $60 cross town runs. Its all about the averages. Stop looking at the single fare and look at the full picture.

Me last week:

45 trips
$26/hour average in fares
33.1 hours online
$644 payout, net after expenses about $520, and that doesn't include the maybe $50 in tips I received.

I know that for everyone its different, but it sticks out like a sore thumb. Those of us who are obviously happy and excited with the opportunity here (And no, we're not 1st week drivers) are the ones making money, and proving it out. Those who do nothing but whine and complain are not making money. Try changing your outlook, it might help :smiles:

Oh and btw, this claim: Uber and Lyft have a zero cost of providing the service, we pay for everything, we risk everything.....

Completely untrue. Uber is paying for each of us to be covered by a million dollar insurance policy while with a pax. They have significant network and application infrastructure to maintain. And that doesn't even start to cover the massive amounts of marketing they are doing (Example: Flagstaff AZ just launched. They are doing almost a month of free rides to promote it. How do you think they are paying for that???)

LAuberX

Droosk I have months of weekly payouts double what your last week was, since the rate cuts and tons of new drivers I make 1/2. the full picture is that we drive more, wait more and earn less per hour in L.A.

Facts and data are market specific, $5.00 cancel .80 /1.10 /.20 are now L.A. Rates, a.k.a. Your future.

Enjoy the sun while it shines, the rain will come in the form of more drivers and lower rates.

Last edited:

yeti

Uber has a lot of nerve (balls?) calling drivers "partners". Drivers don't have a say in anything. Partners do.
If we were partners Uber would only take 5% and give the other 15% back to the riders... Uber will make more money because there will be more riders.

Oc_DriverX

"up to 30 minutes" in Uber speak:

lets say you accept the ping, it takes 12 minutes in traffic to get there, you wait 5 minutes, discuss/enter destination in Nav, 1 minute, drive in traffic 6 miles, 12 minutes = 30 minutes.

I have been starting a timer when I accept a ping, and stopping it after pax exits, it ain't pretty. I have seen 28 minutes to earn a $9.00 (gross) fare.

The more I know, the less I like it.
I find it interesting that in line with this, that the new dashboard now does not give the request time on the trip detail. That makes it next to impossible to see the ride time + the request time, which in total is the actual time spent on a trip. Just another example of the great "tech" company hiding the data from its "partners."

RS King

Yep, as soon as they have enough drivers at 25% and don't have to worry about the 10% of drivers who will stop driving over the commission hike, they will raise it to that rate for everybody. They will continue to squeeze you until too many drivers refuse to drive, then they will raise rates just enough to have enough drivers on the road and that will be the driver market equilibrium. It's simple economics. When you drive for $1.10 - 25%, you are setting the price at $1.10 - 25%.

chi1cabby

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
So I'm hearing rumblings that Uber_SF has now raised it's commission to 25% from 20% to All Drivers, even those that'd started driving before Sept 2nd, 2014.

Screenshot_2015-07-28-06-04-46.png

11754827_10153505262943841_692332351616311976_o.jpg

AintWorthIt

Lol like I said months ago, a matter of time before it hits everywhere. Can't wait for those winter warmup cuts and the 25% uber vig. What a effing scam this is becoming.

renworb

I am fortunate enough to have found new and MUCH better employment starting in two weeks and Uber will be just a fading memory (God willing).
I encourage all of you on this site and beyond to try to do the same, and hope you all succeed! It's only going to get worse untill Uber finds the absolute bottom
they can pay and still have enough drivers to meet the growing demand. All we, as individuals, can do is stop working for them (obviously after we have
found suitable replacement work. I understand its better than nothing, although barely) and STOP referring drivers and spread the word how bad the pay REALLY
is. I understand that this won't be easy with all of Uber's deceptive marketing practices! Everyone hates feeling so powerless in the face of rapidly declining wages but if they can't get and keep enough drivers, it will have to go up eventually.
This is exactly why labor unions came into being. The way Uber is structured, traditional unionizing is all but impossible, but today, with social media we can spread the
word and turn some of the justifiable anger and frustration that's all over this site into a positive. " FREINDS DON'T LET FRIENDS DRIVE (get abused and lied to)
FOR UBER!"

renbutler

... untill Uber finds the absolute bottom they can pay and still have enough drivers to meet the growing demand. All we, as individuals, can do is stop working for them ...
Both of those things are exactly how it should work in a free economy. It's their job to be as profitable as possible, and it's our responsibility to choose a profession that fits our personal goals. If those two things don't match up, we should just move on to something else.

chi1cabby

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Both of those things are exactly how it should work in a free economy. It's their job to be as profitable as possible, and it's our responsibility to choose a profession that fits our personal goals. If those two things don't match up, we should just move on to something else.
Exactly!
Unless, say during last Summer, the Driver had quit a decent paying job with decent benefits, lured by Uber's borderline fraudulent CL Ads promising $1,500/Week in Earnings. Only to find out that "Up To $1,500/Week in Earnings" actually meant "$1,500/Week in Gross Fares" that would result in $1,050/Week in payout, before ANY EXPENSES.

And then, only to belatedly find out, that Uber would cut it's Rates a couple of times and over saturate the market with New Drivers, resulting in the $1,050 payout shrinking to $650.

And never mind the chump who saw a way out of the daily grind in driving for Uber, and financed a new car through Uber/Santander.

And now Uber Free Market is retroactively jacking up the commission to 25%!