• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Longhauling to make more money on Uber/LYFT

Gone_in_60_seconds

Hello Community,

Any one try long hauling (taking a longer route to a destination) to make extra money driving Uber/Lyft. As per article below, by doing this you could easily increase your fare received by 20-30%. Personally, I find it dishonest, equivalent to mechanics padding the bill with "shop supplies" or charging you 2 hours for a job that only took 1.5 hours.

If you have done it, how did the Pax react when you took the longer route? Did your rating get a hit? Has long hauling made you additional money and increased your earnings per hour?

See article:

https://www.thestar.com/wsj/technology/2018/08/13/uber-drivers-take-riders-the-long-way-at-ubers-expense.html

https://www.thestar.com/wsj/technology/2018/08/13/uber-drivers-take-riders-the-long-way-at-ubers-expense.html

Yam Digger

No, I don’t deliberately long-haul.

But I do prefer to use Waze. And I notice that Uber GPS wants me to take the shorter distance route that will take more time so they can pay me less. Waze on the other hand, shows me the quickest route though the distance might be longer. I think the pax would prefer to get where they’re going quicker than to help Uber save money in paying me.

But get this: The route that Uber shows the pax in the user app is similar to the one Waze would show you, but not the same the driver app would show.

Besides, getting the pax out of my car quicker frees me up sooner for my next fare.

Yam Digger

isnt it better to take the 407 as its faster and the passenger pays for it?
Too much bother for me to have to pay the bill plus the admin fee when it arrives. Besides, I don’t think most pax even notice or care. If they raise a concern about being charged for it, I tell them that I’ll email Uber to have it refunded to them.

ryan137

I always take the fastest route, even if the distance is greater. Only exception is 407. I will ask Pax if they want to do 407 ... most do not when they hear that the tolls will be added to their fare.
You should note that if the uber/lyft navigation (not Waze) shows a route taking the 407, the toll was charged upfront. I find that sometimes this means I don't need to have this conversation.

MUGATS

Hello Community,

Any one try long hauling (taking a longer route to a destination) to make extra money driving Uber/Lyft. As per article below, by doing this you could easily increase your fare received by 20-30%. Personally, I find it dishonest, equivalent to mechanics padding the bill with "shop supplies" or charging you 2 hours for a job that only took 1.5 hours.

If you have done it, how did the Pax react when you took the longer route? Did your rating get a hit? Has long hauling made you additional money and increased your earnings per hour?

See article:

I don't think long hauling is really ethical, that being said.... I don't follow Ubers route all the time because sometimes, despite it being a slightly shorter route, it really isn't the most efficient. My goal is always to complete rides as quickly and efficiently as possible. Is a 4km route with 8 potential stop lights more efficient than a 5km route with 1 potential stop light? Uber thinks so..... I don't.

NORMY

I want to complete as much trips as I can in the shortest amount of time . For instance veld I started at 10:30 and completed 4 trips by 12:45 .Two nights my veld trips earned roughly $550 .Close to $100hr. When I was a hustler after the club I would speed and try to complete 4-6 trips from 1:30 to 3:00 .

CDNcrippler1

Too much bother for me to have to pay the bill plus the admin fee when it arrives. Besides, I don’t think most pax even notice or care. If they raise a concern about being charged for it, I tell them that I’ll email Uber to have it refunded to them.
Fyi tolls are a tax write off

Actionjax

Long hauling it here in Toronto on Uber won't work. Up front fares are fixed regardless of route unless you are over by 40% both time and distance.

Lyft it's different. When it goes over the rider is charged more. But they also have a threshold. I just don't know what it is but it's lower than Ubers for sure. As a passenger I have experienced an overcharge because I asked for the highway instead of the direct down Bayview route.

Doing it on purpose is unethical regardless and you set your self up for a fare review. Uber and Lyft still does them and they will claw back the money if the route is deemed inefficient.

Actionjax

Fyi tolls are a tax write off
Provided they are not reimbursed back by Uber. Then it's not.

Good to know. :cool::cool:

Is upfront pricing universal for all the markets that Uber serves?
Up front pricing is universal to the consumer but implemented different in each country to the driver. Here in Canada you get paid based on up front fares. In the US they get paid real time and distance. Hence why we can see a difference between the fare paid by the customer and what is paid out to the driver in the USA.

Because of our tax laws here we need to be paid on what is paid by the customer.

CDNcrippler1

Provided they are not reimbursed back by Uber. Then it's not.

Up front pricing is universal to the consumer but implemented different in each country to the driver. Here in Canada you get paid based on up front fares. In the US they get paid real time and distance. Hence why we can see a difference between the fare paid by the customer and what is paid out to the driver in the USA.

Because of our tax laws here we need to be paid on what is paid by the customer.
You still claim it because you are paying it out so it crosses each other out. You will always pay more though because even with transponder (another write off) you still pay $1 to ride each time.

Actionjax

You still claim it because you are paying it out so it crosses each other out. You will always pay more though because even with transponder (another write off) you still pay $1 to ride each time.
Long as you are claiming your Tolls as income from Uber then it's ok. But I just find it counterproductive.