Long Trips!!!

MrSG

So I had heard a few horror stories of people receiving long trips. The longest I had was to Fredericksburg up until about a month ago. I got the ping, got there to pick the PAX up and a lady comes out so I hit navigate and it reads Spring, TX. Of course my eyes get big and I looked at the lady and said you're going to Houston? She proceeded to tell me her friend was who was right behind her. I wanted to turn it down but I ended up doing it since I already accepted it and was there.

Now when I see that 45+min I call and ask exactly where they are going.

What are your thoughts on this? I really wish in cases like this, we know where the PAX is going if its 45+ min.

satxsatx

I was driving back from Austin one Sunday night (I don't drive Uber in SA, no money) with Uber on.

In San Marcos, got a trip to north Houston

SM - HOU - home to SA was $30 / hour, which sounds great (vs average Uber gross avg payout of $12 / hour max in SA), but with mileage of 350+ miles of IRS deduction of $0.52 / mile, my take home made it a losing deal, even with a $40 tip.

I did it once out of curiosity, but curiosity satisfied, so never again.

MrSG

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yeah. I will never do that again. To me, its just not a win for me.

Terri Lee

Demand a 50 cent surcharge for each mile of the deadhead return.

Cash, upfront.

Yes, I have.

Last edited:
I requested, and got, a $10 gratuity to take a young woman from Stone Oak to an address north of Boerne. The entire round trip took about and hour and I got $30.

Ziggy

I just finished a trip from Austin airport to SAT - lyft didn't flash the 45+ minutes prompt, but I decided to take it anyway since it was a Black XL trip

Texas4life577

I had a trip three weeks ago from Seguin to Houston. Total time 5 hours of driving and made a lousy $140. After three years of driving for Uber I decided to drive for Favor. I live in New Braunfels and I make more money per hour for Favor then Uber. Plus do not have to deal with strangers in my car.
Post automatically merged:

satxsatx

I picked up a rider at Frost Bank/410 Nacogdoches.

I didn't look close enough at the zoomed out map, it showed a red trip line for what I thought was to southside SA

But it was to Pleasanton. 45 miles. Uber paid $36, not even $1/mile. Cash tip was $8.

90 miles r/t, for appx $50 IRS mileage deduction, so my net taxable income was negative.

Noonespecial

My longest. Told him $50 in cash for return trip or Im cancelling. Uber gave a 45 min notice!!! He said i was 3rd driver and he didnt have time to wait for another so i said lets go to the ATM. 6 hours from there and back to georgetown where i got $44 airport ride. Will NEVER do this again as i only do destination mode rides to and from work.....but after the last rate cut a few months back this $220 ride would only net about 175. I refuse to take toll roads so that added about an hour but he didnt complain. No such thing as a unicorn on uberx anymore. And, of course, uber did the "fare review" so they got their $60 immediately but i had to wait 3 days to get mine. I should also note that im grandfathered in to the higher rates which were 84 cents a mile at the time so for any drivers that were less than 2 or 3 years the fare would have been even less.

Attachments

Last edited:

Scoutz

2 weeks ago took a guy to the Valley from SA.
7 hours driving total
$300.00+ with tip.
I dont know if I would do it again.

MrSG

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Luckily I haven't had another long request. Both Uber and Lyft need to have something that flashes saying its out of the city limits.

valuber

Does Uber do a background check on its' passengers and customers just as they do with us drivers? Taking passengers out of the vicinity of the driver's home city is not safe. I won't take pax out of the city for any amount of $$. If there is not a warning to let the driver know where these passengers want to go if out of city limits, this is a serious problem with Uber / Lyft.

DDW

I was driving back from Austin one Sunday night (I don't drive Uber in SA, no money) with Uber on.

In San Marcos, got a trip to north Houston

SM - HOU - home to SA was $30 / hour, which sounds great (vs average Uber gross avg payout of $12 / hour max in SA), but with mileage of 350+ miles of IRS deduction of $0.52 / mile, my take home made it a losing deal, even with a $40 tip.

I did it once out of curiosity, but curiosity satisfied, so never again.
What does Iris mileage deduction have to do with your net pay? You are looking at it all wrong. You should be up to do far better than the IRS deduction on expenses. Made your income completely tax free.

Luckily I haven't had another long request. Both Uber and Lyft need to have something that flashes saying its out of the city limits.
I have seen it say 60+ mins for long distance trips

Last edited: