1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Long trips?

Discussion in 'Advice' started by Bob512, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Bob512

Bob512 New Member

am I missing something? New driver? In the last few weeks as I was heading home I took one last trip. Both were Airport runs over 50 miles. I would love a warning on these trips. One resulted in a family reservation cancellation. I thought a long trip warning was supposed to be posted.

2. kevink

kevink Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    You should get a long trip notification, though it doesn't go by miles. Tt is triggered by the estimated time of the trip - anything 45 minutes or more in my market.

3. CJfrom619

CJfrom619 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    It’s ok to deny a trip

Julescase likes this.
  4. chitown73

chitown73 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure op the OP's market but I know that in my area (Chicago) Uber and Lyft both have a habit of underestimating the travel times of both pickup and trip times. I honestly believe that they do this intentionally. I could be sitting in a traffic jam with traffic moving 5mph and Uber will tell the pax that I'm going to arrive in 3 mins when it's really going to be at least 15 mins.

5. Julescase

Julescase Well-Known Member

You can ALWAYS cancel a trip if you aren't able to do 50+ miles in a direction that is totally out of the way. Uber should have given a heads up - they are supposed to give a "45 +minute trip" or "60+ minute trip" warning yet sometimes they don't....they can be SO obnoxious sometimes.

If you're unable to do a trip after sliding "start trip" over and finding out how far out of the way a trip will take you, just tell the rider you're not able to complete the ride and cancel it immediately before moving your car an inch. Tell them Uber is supposed to give drivers a heads up for rides that are long (distance and/or time-wise) and since you didn't get the heads up from Uber when the ride request came through, you weren't aware of the fact that this was a long trip. That's all on Uber, not you.

When this happens to me, I explain that Uber doesn't tell drivers the destination address of a trip until we start the ride. I'll cancel the trip at no cost to the rider so they can order another one. If a rider is annoyed, that's Uber's fault for not allowing drivers to have all of the information about a trip's destination before the rider is in the car. I don't and won't feel guilty about not wanting to drive 60+ miles in the opposite direction of where I need to be - we're independent contractors and are allowed to decide what trips we will and won't do.

Never feel like you have to do any trip you're not comfortable doing, and never feel guilty for needing to cancel a trip, especially when Uber didn't give you a warning about it being a long ride. That's all on Uber and no driver should take the blame for Uber's ****ty business practices or crappy app.

6. oldfart

oldfart Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberXL
    Most of the time Im eager to take a long ride, especially when it brings me home. For the trips that take me away from home and where I will have to come home empty, I wont do an X, but for XL, I will .

But at the end of a 12 hour day, 3 hours from Ft Myers to Miami, and back, (empty) is, too much for an old fart like me.

FYI, the app always has given me a heads up so I can call the rider for details

Julescase likes this.
  7. jlong105

jlong105 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Unless the reason you feel uncomfortable is the passenger's service animal. Permanent immediate deactivation for cancelling one of these. You cannot feel uncomfortable about the destination either. Uber and Lyft frowns on this and it is illegal some places.

8. Pawtism

Pawtism Moderator Moderator

Well any of the discriminatory factors (race, religion, disability, etc) would be a potential problem, but I think Jules meant a trip you're uncomfortable doing for a non discriminatory reason. (Distance, time it will take due to traffic, going the wrong direction, pax is being a complete ass or threatening you, etc). Those you shouldn't feel bad about canceling.

Good point in clarifying though. Sometimes people take statements like that too literally. "We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone" is a great example of that. There are people who actually believe that's true, when we well know it's not (any of the protected classes can't be refused service based on their protected classes). The people who originally said it, didn't intend it to mean for discriminatory reasons, they really just meant that if you were acting a fool, they didn't need to wait until you actually broke something, or assaulted someone to have a reason to refuse you, they were just going to boot you simply for acting a fool. It's gotten to the point though that some morons actually think that a business can literally refuse service for "any" reason.

So, I do get why you wanted to clarify, and it's good that you have, but I also don't think Jules meant any of the discriminatory reasons either. :)

Julescase likes this.
  9. mrpjfresh

mrpjfresh Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Ah, the curse of the "last trip". As Jules said, refuse the trip but put it on Uber. " Oh.. I'm sorry. I cannot do this long trip because I have to pickup my child from practice/go on a date/take my roast out of the crockpot...". Whatever. 99% of riders will understand and you will probably educate a few that we do not see the destination prior to starting the trip. Just make it crystal clear it is a time thing and you are not discriminating based on destination or their service dog or something. Having a dashcam will help here against liars.

One of the only real perks of this gig is the whole "work when you want". You are not an employee. Don't fall into the trap of acting like one. Also, if you haven't used up your destination filters, put yours on with a destination and time if you have a commitment later on and are winding down.

Julescase and Pawtism like this.
  10. Julescase

Julescase Well-Known Member

I was referring to long trips; I thought I made that clear in my comment but my apologies if I didn't.

Pawtism likes this.
  11. Dixon

Dixon Well-Known Member

I cancel trip after start at least one or two times a day. I always apologize and said it won’t be charged and someone else will come. So far i hasn’t got any complaints YET

Julescase likes this.
  12. FXService

FXService Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberBLACK
    Honestly the trip warning needs to be 30 minutes or longer

shadowjos, Coppmp30, LEO2112 and 3 others like this.
  13. oldfart

Driving:
    UberXL
    I’d like the warning for 30 minute trips too. I’d then reject anything that wasn’t a long trip

I’d also like to see a warning for the really long trips,, 2 hours or more. I like the Fort Myers to Miami trips most of the time, but not at the end of the day. 3 hours across tha state and 3 hours back is more than I want to do at the end of an 8 hour day

shadowjos and Paula K like this.
  14. CJfrom619

CJfrom619 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    You can’t always get what you want especially in this gig.

15. oldfart

Driving:
    UberXL
    understood...

You can’t always get what you want especially in this gig. or in this life either

16. Dropking

Dropking Well-Known Member

You can’t always get what you want especially in this gig, or in this life, or when that's what she said.

17. Pawtism

Pawtism Moderator Moderator

Someone should remind Uber...

“No, you can't always get what you want...
    You can't always get what you want...
    You can't always get what you want...
    But if you try sometime you find...
    You get what you need...”

Brian Rasmussen and Rakos like this.
  18. mikes424

mikes424 Well-Known Member

Two comments

1) I would like long trips indicated to be 30, 45, 60 minutes or longer.

2) I live about 35 miles nw of downtown Chicago. If in the downtown area, I will accept long trips heading north or west but depending on how long I have been driving, maybe not south. I would like to see the long trip notification to be something like 45 minutes, west or 60 minutes northwest.

19. Unleaded

Unleaded Active Member

Driving:
    UberX
    I have received 2 Ride pings without the alert that the ride was going to be 45 minutes or “long ride”. The last one caught me by surprise and the ride ended 2 states away. Another one of life’s surprise adventures. Go figure.

Rakos likes this.
  20. Juggalo9er

Juggalo9er Well-Known Member

Curious where they started and ended