Long trips 45 min and longer

4mykids

Hello uber nation..... Long trips I like those better than the short 4-5 min ones. Better fuel efficiency and less brake use and make more 1 long trip then 10 15 short ones. Only question is whats best way inform the pax about a tip and upfront money for return trip. Other day took a couple to Manhattan gave me good 50$ tip up front so didn't mind. Was about 1 hour 25 min trip get there from pennsylvania. Last night took someone same area upto west new York, New Jersey same distance roughly same pay but got no tip nothing from them. Said would tip me when got there but then decided not to for some reason. So what's best way nip this in the bud. And tell pax once i pick them up there is an inconvenience fee for me going so far out area with no return ride. What would be good amount tell them upfront before we leave. Also should collect money upfront also so i dont get screwed again. 1st time shame on me but now i make sure won't happen again.

Thanks uber nation

Trafficat

I don't think there is a good way to do it. That's one reason I don't prefer to do long trips.

Obviously collecting the fee up front is the only way to make sure they actually give it.

But you always run the risk they report that you demanded cash and Uber may not be happy.

Yeah Uber website says they can be charged a fee for return trip. I personally wouldn't take the risk. Same deal with service animals and pets. You deny a pet the pax says it was a service animal. You ask for a return trip fee the pax says you demanded cash. Technically your actions are within the bounds... maybe... but Uber robots may not see it that way.

4mykids

I get ur point. Take a $75 -100 trip or it takes 15 to 25 local trips male same amount. And not always guaranteed that many trips too so that's y I don't mind long trips. Just not sure like said about return trip and,/or tip money. I know could charge pax fee but not sure how much that fee would be

PTUber

Obviously we hear it all the time "I'll give you a tip" and 9 times out of 10 no go. However on a long trip like that where it was promised I would definitely say at the end "wasn't there a promise of a tip for my empty trip back to ....".

NHDriver

Obviously we hear it all the time "I'll give you a tip" and 9 times out of 10 no go. However on a long trip like that where it was promised I would definitely say at the end "wasn't there a promise of a tip for my empty trip back to ....".
I think that there should be an automatic gratuity built in to a long trip. Just like when a large group of people make a dinner reservation. Anything over 50 miles should have a tip built in. Easy enough to do with the app.

MSUGrad9902

Drivers here will text the TOS where it says a return fee can be charged by the driver in a TXT to the pax before the wheels turn. But use this only on a trip that gets you out of market where you can't do pickups. Then figure out how much it will take to get you back to your home market. They are free to find another car if they don't like it.

4mykids

That would be a good thing. I agree with that any long trip should put an automatic gratuity. But highly doubt it would happen

NHDriver

That would be a good thing. I agree with that any long trip should put an automatic gratuity. But highly doubt it would happen
More drivers would accept those rides. I personally like taking the long trips for multiple reasons. But I get stiffed on half of them.

Drivers here will text the TOS where it says a return fee can be charged by the driver in a TXT to the pax before the wheels turn. But use this only on a trip that gets you out of market where you can't do pickups. Then figure out how much it will take to get you back to your home market. They are free to find another car if they don't like it.
If the rider agrees on the txt then stiffs you, will Uber comp you what was promised and charge their account?

MSUGrad9902

More drivers would accept those rides. I personally like taking the long trips for multiple reasons. But I get stiffed on half of them.

If the rider agrees on the txt then stiffs you, will Uber comp you what was promised and charge their account?
NO. Uber hates this but they can't stop it because it's in their TOS. Get the money up front before the wheels turn.

For Detroit drivers, this means trips to Toledo (can't pick up in Ohio) or outside of Detroit or Ann Arbor service area.

NHDriver

NO. Uber hates this but they can't stop it because it's in their TOS. Get the money up front before the wheels turn.

For Detroit drivers, this means trips to Toledo (can't pick up in Ohio) or outside of Detroit or Ann Arbor service area.
if every driver enforced the upfront return fee it would work. but i think too many drivers will just take the ride. if a pax is told there is an additional upfront return fee, cash in advance, that's a 1 star waiting to happen.

4mykids

We're im located at im 1 hour 15 north of philadelphia and hour 10 min from NYC. So im right in middle. In Philly I pick up rides NYC I cant

rideshareMN

Agree to a return fee UPFRONT and don't turn the wheels until the money is exchanged! Use either cash or Square, but do NOT trust someone who says they will tip you in the app, or when they arrive. UBER WILL NOT HAVE YOUR BACK ON THIS! Just last week, I picked up someone at the airport, took them 77 miles away -- far out of our service area; the guy said he was a driver in the North Carolina region -- said he would tip me for the deadhead miles back, we had a great hour long conversation, and I trusted this clown ... sure enough, the worthless lying POS never did tip, but I certainly had to deadhead 70 miles back! I texted Uber about this, and they said the fare would remain the same and that if the rider did not tip after promising to do so, it just didn't matter one bit and I was SOL (and of course, Uber did not offer to share some of their hefty pocketed 40% upfront fare money with me). I will never trust anyone from North Carolina ever again, and I will always get the return fee upfront from now on!

Brian G.

I say long runs that are longer then 40 miles here in Boston are rare. I get a 40+ Mile ride once every 3-4 months. Here in the Bean drivers get a Boston to NYC that is 9 hrs total round trip. I personally wouldn't take it unless there is a $75+ tip in advance.

NHDriver

I say long runs that are longer then 40 miles here in Boston are rare. I get a 40+ Mile ride once every 3-4 months. Here in the Bean drivers get a Boston to NYC that is 9 hrs total round trip. I personally wouldn't take it unless there is a $75+ tip in advance.
I get a lot of Nashua to Boston requests. So it would make sense for me. As you know, the ride back can take 2+ hours depending on weather and traffic.

MSUGrad9902

My house to the airport is roughly 50 miles. Since our service area is huge a 45 min long ride could keep you in the service area.

Brian G.

I get a lot of Nashua to Boston requests. So it would make sense for me. As you know, the ride back can take 2+ hours depending on weather and traffic.

So what's your profit $60-65? A great trip if your already heading into the bean.

NHDriver

So what's your profit $60-65? A great trip if your already heading into the bean.
no its more like $45-$48. I can't get uber or lyft to approve me to drive both Mass/NH. If ask to change my home base they tell me I have to give up NH. So I am stuck with just being NH driver.

Brian G.

no its more like $45-$48. I can't get uber or lyft to approve me to drive both Mass/NH. If ask to change my home base they tell me I have to give up NH. So I am stuck with just being NH driver.

But you can pick up in mass but only get the nh rates?

NHDriver

But you can pick up in mass but only get the nh rates?
No i can't get a ping in Mass at all. My app gets disabled as soon as I drop off the pax. My Lyft app doesn't deactivate in Mass I just don't get any pings. Which sucks because I get a lot of Mass people shopping in NH to beat the sales tax, take them back to Mass and always deadhead back. If it's only to Lowell its only a 12 min deadhead so I don't mind, but Boston runs kill me.

Brian G.

No i can't get a ping in Mass at all. My app gets disabled as soon as I drop off the pax. My Lyft app doesn't deactivate in Mass I just don't get any pings.

Weird because I thought drivers who live in nh can work both nh and mass. I sometimes pickup in Portsmouth nh and maine on my way to pick up my son in south Portland maine.