Long trip rip off

buckyt

Hi Guys,
I drive in Delaware & PA. Last night I get a rider which indicated a "long trip" ( yah I'm going to Philly, NOT).
The designation was Hyattville MD for Newark DE. 127 miles and 1hour & 45 minutes. So I drop off the rider and there I am 127 miles from my permit area to accept riders! So you would think "nice fare" ($133 no tip) but now, not only do I have to drive back blind to all riders but I have to pay all the tolls out of pocket. For you guy that haven't driven 95 south to the DC area, there are $17 in tolls on the return trip. This sucks! Like in Philly the tolls are doubled in one direction to save time and cut the number of employees. But in Philly you can wait for a fare in Jersey for a PA drop off. Not in Maryland because we not allowed to pick up and UBEr knows that drives have to pay out of pocket to get back to their accepted zone. So if you ever get a rider going that far south, toss them out of your car because it is going to cost you money and time!!
By the way, UBER is cheaper than Amtrak for travelers.

Dickie Duncan

Always call pax before pickup. If you don’t want to go where they’re going ask them to cancel. If they won’t than you should.

#professoruber

After accepting long trip notification, take 10 deep breathes and don't let yourself be overcome with excitement. If you are driving, pull over. If you are parked, do not touch that shifter.

1. Contact rider and ask there they are going
2. If far away and unprofitable, figure out quickly what will make the trip profitable
3. Explain to rider why the trip is not profitable and if they are willing to pay X amount upfront (no in-app tips or promises), then you can do the ride.
4. If they are cheap arses (obviously this one was), let them know they need to cancel and request another ride.
5. Also, to avoid wasting everyone's time, advise them to contact the driver immediately and let them know where they are heading.

buckyt

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
After accepting long trip notification, take 10 deep breathes and don't let yourself be overcome with excitement. If you are driving, pull over. If you are parked, do not touch that shifter.

1. Contact rider and ask there they are going
2. If far away and unprofitable, figure out quickly what will make the trip profitable
3. Explain to rider why the trip is not profitable and if they are willing to pay X amount upfront (no in-app tips or promises), then you can do the ride.
4. If they are cheap arses (obviously this one was), let them know they need to cancel and request another ride.
5. Also, to avoid wasting everyone's time, advise them to contact the driver immediately and let them know where they are heading.
Thanks guys, that good advice. I didn't think of doing that!

s philly

hahaha new ant

you can tell the customer you on sleeping pills and is long trip cant drive .

Hans GrUber

$17 in tolls? Ouch. I don't have a hard time accepting a ld trip knowing I'm going to deadhead back, but that one stings.

Calling the customer up to ask destination can get you deactivated for cherry picking, like at the airport, but I don't see a problem doing it for ld requests. If you get a trip to NY, drop off at last exit before tunnel.

disp350

Hi Guys,
I drive in Delaware & PA. Last night I get a rider which indicated a "long trip" ( yah I'm going to Philly, NOT).
The designation was Hyattville MD for Newark DE. 127 miles and 1hour & 45 minutes. So I drop off the rider and there I am 127 miles from my permit area to accept riders! So you would think "nice fare" ($133 no tip) but now, not only do I have to drive back blind to all riders but I have to pay all the tolls out of pocket. For you guy that haven't driven 95 south to the DC area, there are $17 in tolls on the return trip. This sucks! Like in Philly the tolls are doubled in one direction to save time and cut the number of employees. But in Philly you can wait for a fare in Jersey for a PA drop off. Not in Maryland because we not allowed to pick up and UBEr knows that drives have to pay out of pocket to get back to their accepted zone. So if you ever get a rider going that far south, toss them out of your car because it is going to cost you money and time!!
By the way, UBER is cheaper than Amtrak for travelers.
I have put in for return tolls several times on the way back from trips to NYC and gotten reimbursed for them.

J. Thomas

What I want to know is what happened to the 60+ minute notifications? I got that one time and I asked the pax where they were going and it was to NYC so I had to decline. A few weeks after that I received a 45+ trip and it also was to NYC. So they took away the 60 min. one completely now?

Pachuta24

Never go south to MD without negotiating an extra $20 for return tolls. I’ve gotten it a few times and cancelled the others who would not agree.

DelaJoe

You can avoid the tolls in Baltimore by taking I-83 north out of the city...that will save you $4. You can't avoid the $8 bridge toll in NE Maryland. But you can slide down to rt 40 and avoid the Delaware state line toll.. So your $17 dollars in tolls could have been reduced to $8. Besides leaving from Newark DE you got a juicy 1.55/mile rate for your efforts. If the ride started in MD or PHL you would have gotten a much lower rate. Quit complaining and enjoy the money.

Alternatively you could have taken Rt 50 back across the Bay Bridge and come up 301 to Delaware and back to I-95 and that would have only cost you $4 Bay Bridge toll. You could have gotten into Delaware and turned your light back on. Maybe catch a ride in Middletown area. It would add about 25 minutes to your trip.

Last edited:

MattMo81

I wouldn’t call that a rip-off. Even with the toll taken out and 4 hours round trip you made close to $30/hr gross.

2two2

You might consider the mileage as well, Matt. What you're getting hourly, you're getting something like half that value in mileage

MattMo81

Still not bad IMO. That’s about what I make in 4 hours of driving around Philly/burbs on Friday/Saturday nights. At least it’s all highway miles and no potholes!