Long Trip pings

Signal Twenty

never had one, but if I got one, I would probably set the pings for a ride with a trip toward the destination that way I don't have to deadhead and waste fuel.

Warriorprincess

Got one today but had to turn it down. I had to be home in 2 hours and the trip was to Ft Lauderdale... made me sick to let it go too...

I had one from Treasure Island to Valrico. Was happy to accept because I could get rides on the way back. It was rush hour so had to take the Skyway. All in all, I got $69.

DAG

I was wondering who here has taken one? what do you do deadhead back? What about fuel?
Sometimes I have had to deadhead back to Tampa. I usually invest at least 15 minutes in the dropoff area to get some local rides to defer cost of deadheading back. Most times, I have picked up a local fare.

I accept most long trips. Others on this forum have differing philosophy. My hourly local/Tampa payout averages over $11/hour. SO, if I get a long trip to the Orlando Area, the payout approaches $60. If I spend 3 hours getting there and back, I am getting nearly $20/hour, which is better that $11 or $12 per hour. Also, gas efficiency is better on long highway drives; so, therein is an overhead reduction. I welcome long trips, but will NOT sit in airport queue for an hour hoping to get one... Just Me.

jervin32189

Sometimes I have had to deadhead back to Tampa. I usually invest at least 15 minutes in the dropoff area to get some local rides to defer cost of deadheading back. Most times, I have picked up a local fare.

I accept most long trips. Others on this forum have differing philosophy. My hourly local/Tampa payout averages over $11/hour. SO, if I get a long trip to the Orlando Area, the payout approaches $60. If I spend 3 hours getting there and back, I am getting nearly $20/hour, which is better that $11 or $12 per hour. Also, gas efficiency is better on long highway drives; so, therein is an overhead reduction. I welcome long trips, but will NOT sit in airport queue for an hour hoping to get one... Just Me.

I am in full agreement with you.

The one thing I would add is that if I am within a couple hours of the end of my night, I will usually decline long trips. Otherwise, it almost always makes sense for the reasons you stated.

GRUMPYCAT73

I had one the other day from west gulf blvd to Orland international airport. When I got there I got a couple rides then set my destination and got one in the direction of Tampa but not even close to Tampa lol if that makes sense... then dead till I got to exit 44 and got a ride into st pete. Usually it's going to be dead going back.

Warriorprincess

Thats what I was wondering. Id prefer long trips but Im not going to sit in airport queue. I HATE that... waste of gas.

DAG

. . . . Im not going to sit in airport queue. I HATE that... waste of gas.
If you sit, turn off engine OFF, windows down! That saves gas. Try to park near shade to avoid extreem heat. When you get ping, turn on air conditioning full blast; car will be comfortably cool when you get to your rider.

renorris

Two of the three I've had were to destinations I couldn't possibly have completed. First was pickup in Hudson with drop off in San Francisco and second was Pickup in Port Richey with destination of St. Germain Wisconsin.

Signal Twenty

Great idea in theory, but chances are good that you'd be dead heading back anyway.

yup, as patient as I am, I'd probably wait a few and head home...

Two of the three I've had were to destinations I couldn't possibly have completed. First was pickup in Hudson with drop off in San Francisco and second was Pickup in Port Richey with destination of St. Germain Wisconsin.

those are phenomenal fares! lol...

Snowtop

I have told this before but hear goes again. I had 2 long trips when I was driving, both from TPA. One to Fort Myers and the other to Ocalla.

On both occasions I explained to the rider the problem of going that far and dead heading back. I told them I was happy to take them but I could not work for half price as the trip home would be unpaid.

Both times the rider agreed to pay me...UP FRONT for the trip home. Fifty each. I also explained that if they cancelled they would probably find someone to do it at normal rates. Both times the rider paid the cash.

DAG

So that is net after fuel?
In my humble opinion, gas mileage is much better on the long trips. Whereas, a local short trip of 5 miles might require 2 miles for pickup and a couple more miles to reposition for next trip. That is 4 miles of deadheading at poor mpg for a 5 miles trip.
I can't discuss this scientifically; BUT, I tend to like the long trips. $25/hour, even with extra overhead is better than the $12/hour I'm averaging on local trips.