Long trip from Dtw to Lansing.is it worth ?

Nejix

Had a long trip to lansing Uber paid me only $63. If there's no tip that could've worse.

Attachments

• IMG_0045.PNG
    IMG_0045.PNG
    61.4 KB · Views: 64

MSUGrad9902

So it's roughly 90 miles from Metro to Lansing, and then 60 back from lansing to Novi (basically the edge of the service area) and you got $83. That is borderline. I would have asked for $35-$50 for the return trip to the service area.

Or you can think about it as 2.25 hours and you got $83, which is not terrible.

Matthew Thomas

It is way better than doing one to Ohio. Since we cannot pick up in Ohio you have to drive all the way back to DTW empty unless you don't mind driving 20 minutes to pick up someone from one of the 5,000 walfarts in downriver to drive them a half mile to their home.....

Lionslover

It is way better than doing one to Ohio. Since we cannot pick up in Ohio you have to drive all the way back to DTW empty unless you don't mind driving 20 minutes to pick up someone from one of the 5,000 walfarts in downriver to drive them a half mile to their home.....
I just need some beer,whiskey and a woman for the night after doing almost 4000 rides on Uber.dealing with some of these people is rough.

Uberdude1021

I've done that same trip for the exact money, 20 tip on top of 62 or 63 for the fare. I think it's an easy trip and if you have a fuel efficient vehicle, I think you are ok. I get right around 35 mpg. 5 gallons or so like 12 or 13 for gas.

ole714

This is true!Will not pick up in Wyandotte after trip to Ohio!

AllGold

If you consider it to be a round trip then you made about $.51/mile. If you believe the IRS that your cost is $.535/mile then it wasn't worth it. Of course, a lot of people will say it costs me less than the IRS allowance. That may very well be true because it's an average (but don't make the mistake of thinking your only cost per mile is gas). If so, then you made a little money but not a lot.

Uberdude1021

Except that by that thinking there is no point in driving uber, bc you'll never make money, it doesn't surge enough for people to "only drive surge" full time.

Chillyz12

I picked 3 rides at MSU area it was surging but no trip request. College kids don't wanna pay surge.

64 cents after 20% commission
This answer confuses me. Are you referring to your take per mile after Uber Commission? Your cost per mile is the total of all your expenses business-related divided by the number of miles you drive for work. For example it cost me $0.24 a mile to operate my car.

Nejix

This answer confuses me. Are you referring to your take per mile after Uber Commission? Your cost per mile is the total of all your expenses business-related divided by the number of miles you drive for work. For example it cost me $0.24 a mile to operate my car.
I don't drive full time I only do 10 ride a week.

UberAntMakingPeanuts

Had a long trip to lansing Uber paid me only $63. If there's no tip that could've worse.
I calculated that I lose 30 cents a mile in my car(hybrid fusion 2013) from added miles depreciation, oil changes, gas, breaks, front end work from Michigan roads, etc... I work on my car myself for the most part. That leaves me with 30 cents a mile. At $.1125 a minute and $.30 a mile, an hour trip at 70 mph highway is $27.75 in that hour after the wear and tare on my car. That is $21 in miles and $6.75 in time. That is better than doing city trips because let's say 80% in that hour was speed limit 40 mph with traffic lights and 20% was 25 mph with stop signs. That would be 48 minutes of the hour at 40 mph which are $9.60 in mile earnings after the wear and tare, and 12 minutes of the hour at 25 mph which are $1.50 in mile earnings after the wear and tare. Adding the $9.60 plus $1.50 in mile earnings and the $6.75 in the an hour in time earnings, the total will be $17.85 without subtracting traffic lights and stop signs slow downs. Let's subtract like 3 dollars for those slow downs now we are at $14.85 in the city. I won't argue about the time in having to come back empty because going to Lansing for an hour and 20 min and coming back empty for an hour and 20 minutes is the same as going to get someone in the city empty for 10 minutes to drive them 10 minutes. But in miles, driving empty I'm losing $21 an hour on the highway from car wear and tare and mile depreciation, verse losing $12.30 an hour city on wear and tare and mile depreciation. We are making less than minimum wage with no time and a half after 40 hours. With those deductions we are making $6.75 an hour highway and $2.55 an hour city. I would do a Lansing trip because it's less traffic and less stress picking up only one person in a long time. I also didn't count the waiting time in the airport to do a Lansing trip which knocks down the $6.75 to about the same as city earnings. These are legit numbers with nothing over estimated.

On a side note I didn't count taxes, higher possibility of accidents which causes higher insurance, absolutely no benefits etc... And you can get fired for no reason without getting unemployment. Uber is literally selling the depreciation of your car without making anything an hour for driving people. Really the only time it is worth Uber is surge times of at least 2.5 times and having an other job.

Last edited:

Pig Vomit

I had a trip from DTW to MSU campus a week ago Sunday. I made $61.00. Then I hung around East Lansing for an hour or so and got 4 rides, all surge, all minimums. Then had to deadhead back home to Madison Heights. So decide for yourself if it’s worth it.

Nejix

I had a trip from DTW to MSU campus a week ago Sunday. I made $61.00. Then I hung around East Lansing for an hour or so and got 4 rides, all surge, all minimums. Then had to deadhead back home to Madison Heights. So decide for yourself if it’s worth it.
I did the same thing when i came to novi I got a airport trip. I've never been to Lansing before so it was kinda exciting.

manymancruz

Some long trips are not just worth it. Like dtw to ohio toledo. Last sat night i cancelled a guy at 135am from ann arbor to brighton on a 2.8x surge. Wasent worth the $70 plus i was gonna make.

MittenSportsFan

Some long trips are not just worth it. Like dtw to ohio toledo. Last sat night i cancelled a guy at 135am from ann arbor to brighton on a 2.8x surge. Wasent worth the $70 plus i was gonna make.
I would have taken that trip with a smile.
I live in Novi. When I get a trip to Ann Arbor I work the area but usually have to come back empty.
Brighton is about 15 minutes from my home so that trip would be a large fare going in the right direction.

manymancruz

I would have taken that trip with a smile.
I live in Novi. When I get a trip to Ann Arbor I work the area but usually have to come back empty.
Brighton is about 15 minutes from my home so that trip would be a large fare going in the right direction.
Well it was the msu vs u of m game, and i taught it was gonna surge btw 1:30am and 2:30am in which I could have made more driving inside of ann arbor. However with the magnitude of ants out that night, no surge. I almost regretted not taking the trip, nut it worked out great for me in the end