• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Long ride notification in ride request?

hike2save

Supposedly, Uber requests notifications indicate if the request is a "long ride" ?? I've never seen this--has anyone? I had PAS today I was picking up at The Sands that informed me she was going to Sacramento. I told her I didn't see that on the Request. I had to cancel her out as I did not have chains in car since they were required on I-80. She got very mad. Seems Uber should have a bold-stand out alert on new ride requests indicating it is a "long ride".

Mark39

Supposedly, Uber requests notifications indicate if the request is a "long ride" ?? I've never seen this--has anyone? I had PAS today I was picking up at The Sands that informed me she was going to Sacramento. I told her I didn't see that on the Request. I had to cancel her out as I did not have chains in car since they were required on I-80. She got very mad. Seems Uber should have a bold-stand out alert on new ride requests indicating it is a "long ride".
I believe it will show the estimated time for the ride on the bottom of the screen

zuluwarrior013

I believe it will show the estimated time for the ride on the bottom of the screen
I have noticed two different notifications on uber. Long Trip Warning (less than 45 minutes) and 45+ Long Trip Warning (no exact amount over 45 minutes though)

WomanDriver

My first long trip request came across as a normal request. Fortunately, the rider called me and told me he wanted to go to Vallejo. I couldn't do it, he was gracious and said that's why he called, to find out if it was OK. For my second long trip, I was pinged with a 45+ notification and accepted. I saw no estimated time at the bottom of the screen but I was driving so if it was in small print I could have missed it. When I got to the rider they told me they were going to San Francisco. I was in a position that day where it wasn't a problem for me but on many other days, it would not have been possible to be away from Reno for over 8 hours. My rider missed a flight in Reno and had to make a connection to Japan. If I couldn't do it it would have set them back as they were at Gold Ranch and it was a busy day for Uber, surging all over (I was pinged from Midtown). There is a big difference between 45+ and 4+ hours. Uber should fix this for their riders. They should not have to be refused at the last minute. Fix it for drivers, we should not have to try and read small print while we are driving in Midtown on a busy day. If I'm driving the Spaghetti Bowl, Midtown, Downtown, or in heavy traffic. I accept at a quick glance. Am I alone?

Uber_Yota_916

Requesting an Uber to drive through whiteout blizzard conditions. It was taking people 4+ hours to go over the mountains. the Pax should ha e taken an Amtrak, as it would have been easier, faster and less $$$.

So if you accept a ride 45min+ say it's 2 hours. Has anyone negotiated a price with the PAX to account for the ride back (like an extra $20 or something)? Is there an increase in the pax fee to cover the drivers ride back? I saw the first one yesterday but couldnt take it so i searched here to see if anyone had anything to offer.

kc ub'ing!

anything to offer.
Uber nor Lyft offer compensation for deadhead miles. Some drivers interpret wording in the rider TOS as you can negotiate a, “return to boundary” fee. I never bought into it.

If you request extra dough for the return trip and the rider refuses, your only recourse is to cancel the ride. So you miss out on a higher fare distance ride, albeit one way; but further, the rider may complain. “My driver cancelled because I wouldn’t pay more!” Uber will not react kindly.

Trafficat

So if you accept a ride 45min+ say it's 2 hours. Has anyone negotiated a price with the PAX to account for the ride back (like an extra $20 or something)? Is there an increase in the pax fee to cover the drivers ride back? I saw the first one yesterday but couldnt take it so i searched here to see if anyone had anything to offer.
I never negotiate because it seems likely the pax will report it as requesting cash and then it could lead to problems with Uber.

But what I do sometimes is tell the passenger I'm not willing to do that trip because I can't get rides on the way back... it has lead to unsolicited offers.