Long ride negotiation WITH UBER?

Halfmybrain

I thought about a year ago Uber said that if a driver got a long trip, they could contact Uber (afterwards) and negotiate for (what I'll call deadhead) compensation. There were no guarantees but the invitation to TRY was in writing, in a support email. I have that email somewhere but first I want to check my memory. Was this invitation only pertaining to a long trip WITH A SURGE, or any long trip.

Please, I'm only interested in THIS topic, though I know there are related topics like, negotiating with the rider.

Halfmybrain

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm afraid it is probably limited to surges, so that a long trip merit, at Uber's discretion (as always) more than, say, a $5 flat fee surge.

Uber's email 8/21/18. "Improving how surge works." Bold was in the original, and the relevant part here.

No more guesswork
We’re moving from multiples to dollar amounts to make your surge earnings clearer. You’ll now see on the map screen the guaranteed minimum surge amount that will be added to your next trip. For long trips, we’ll adjust the surge amount to higher than the minimum on the screen to make sure you’re earning for your extra effort.

UberBeemer

Their notices always have caveats that seem to trump (as in bridge) other promises. Like long pickups not paid on surge rides, etc.

BeingStewie

The fare only gets adjusted if the rider paid a surge and you had a surge $ attached to you. The additional surge change depends on what the rider is paying not what $ surge you have.

So a $5 won’t translate to 1.5x or whatever, it could adjust to just $7 or $20 or in some rare case $40. Again it’s a game of luck.

The caveat is you don’t know till you drop off rider whether you are screwed or not. The only way to make sure, is pick in the middle of the surge, not as soon as it hits surge. The other way is to ask the rider how much they are paying, Ive don’t that while on trip, so I can tell them what Uber is doing and maybe get a tip, but I don’t cancel or kickem out. It’s not their fault. Just because Uber doesn’t have any integrity, we shouldn’t lose ours.

quesie

I thought about a year ago Uber said that if a driver got a long trip, they could contact Uber (afterwards) and negotiate for (what I'll call deadhead) compensation. There were no guarantees but the invitation to TRY was in writing, in a support email. I have that email somewhere but first I want to check my memory. Was this invitation only pertaining to a long trip WITH A SURGE, or any long trip.

Please, I'm only interested in THIS topic, though I know there are related topics like, negotiating with the rider.
Pretty sure that was for surge rides only. Every surge trip I've had that was a long trip paid me more than the original flat surge rate.