Long pickups

mellorock

Keep getting really long pickups when in destination filter. So when I don't accept then the app logs me out and lose destination filter after 2 or 3. It is all part of the Uber practice of pick up all requests no matter how low rating or how far away. And these really long pickups are without surge. But hey really nothing new. And to the dungeon dwellers at Uber leave the knot holes alone you may get splinters✌✌✌✌✌✌

Legalizeit0

If you are in Destiination mode, aren’t you going that way anyway? It seems like an opportunity for you to pick up a few dollars on the way to where you’re going.

I know many people love to use this platform to criticize the rideshare companies, I make many observations myself. But, the truth is, we can all quit at any time, but most of us won’t because we love the extra money.

i’m just not clear on why a long pick up matters if it’s in the direction you’re heading. Please explain if you have time.

mellorock

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
If you are in Destiination mode, aren’t you going that way anyway? It seems like an opportunity for you to pick up a few dollars on the way to where you’re going.

I know many people love to use this platform to criticize the rideshare companies, I make many observations myself. But, the truth is, we can all quit at any time, but most of us won’t because we love the extra money.

i’m just not clear on why a long pick up matters if it’s in the direction you’re heading. Please explain if you have time.
It is not always further than where you are already at .If you go 8 miles it may get you back to where you are already at it may not even get you that far. But it will still be in general direction but further to go. With out a surge it makes it worse . And now that you will be logged out if you reject a couple it destroys the advantage of direction filter .And this is not extra money for me ,trying to stay out of retirement savings and settlement money (yes am an old broken down b🙂St🌐Rd). So will not go very far to pick someone up . Also the same for low rated riders .

oldfart

what he said

Recently, I found myself about an hour away from home. I set the destination filter to take me home. I got an immediate ping 20 minutes away (but on my way home) the ride paid me $20. What’s not to like about that?

on the subject of long pickups: today my day started with a 25 min pickup. I was paid for 11 miles and 17 minutes of the ride to the passenger. $10 of the $48 pay was a long pickup fee.

FLKeys

About once a month I drive from Miami to Orlando and then back. I will run the Turnpike with DF turned on for the 2 hours I get. I usually run it while I am in the middle of no where land. Every time I will get 2-3 long pick-up requests that are a good 20-30 minutes out of my way usually to the east for a trip that is only 5-10 minutes south. Never could figure out why Uber thinks that is along my route but what ever. One day I may score a ride that is actually along my way.

LIsuberman

Today I get this "ping" to drive 19 minutes for a 5 minute ride - who in their right mind would take this job ? I cancel and almost immediately get another " ping" for the same job. Is uber trying to lower my acceptance rate ? if I declined the first time why would it give it to me again ? All this from "a technology company" L/U realy could do better - but why should they ? MY middle finger goes out to my new best friend - AL GORITHEM - he is always looking out for me !

FLKeys

Today I get this "ping" to drive 19 minutes for a 5 minute ride - who in their right mind would take this job ? I cancel and almost immediately get another " ping" for the same job. Is uber trying to lower my acceptance rate ? if I declined the first time why would it give it to me again ? All this from "a technology company" L/U realy could do better - but why should they ?
I learned when they are that desperate to send you the ping in the first place decline or time out and then go off line several minutes, otherwise it will come right back to you.

Tampa Bay Hauler

I'm not generally one of the complainers. I think we all make and sleep in our own beds. I do have issues with the DF. I like long rides. I can crank $60 to $70 plus or minus in an hour. I set Destination Filter on the way back to home base. The first thing I don't like is no long distance pick up fee while in DF. This would be ok with me since I'm going in that direction.Except, DF doesn't keep you in your direction. It will take you on a long pick up that actually ends up 9 feet backwards and 10 feet forward. I recently had a ride that with pick up and ride minutes added together ended up paying $3.94 for 28 minutes of my time. Fine except for the fact that I had traveled very little toward my destination. A lot needs to be done that will never get done.

UberBeemer

what he said

Recently, I found myself about an hour away from home. I set the destination filter to take me home. I got an immediate ping 20 minutes away (but on my way home) the ride paid me $20. What’s not to like about that?

on the subject of long pickups: today my day started with a 25 min pickup. I was paid for 11 miles and 17 minutes of the ride to the passenger. $10 of the $48 pay was a long pickup fee.
Long pickups of 15 minutes or more are usually worth the trouble. It's like getting a sticky surge.

Escoman

Post automatically merged:

Because you want to get paid for all your miles. When you accept a long pickup and it goes 2 miles you missed opportunity for better rides.
Post automatically merged:

Because you want to get paid for all your miles. When you accept a long pickup and it goes 2 miles you missed opportunity for better rides.

Taxi2Uber

That's assuming Uber Destination Mode is accurate, which is not always the case.

For example, I've set DM when I was 5 miles from my destination, where I had to drive 2 miles the wrong way to the pickup and after completing the trip, find myself now 7 miles from my destination.

Yes, many people complain for the sake of complaining, but Uber really "loosened up" the parameters of DM, so the complaint is legit.

Does any of you set "arive by" when setting df?
Setting df without arive by...is just tuning ubers gps to your destination which means you are available to go wherever.

Mista T

Author
In a theoretical world where the DF works properly and you get rides headed to your D every time, it makes sense to take all pickups the DF mode gives you. But this is Uber we are talking about. This is a company that will send you 8 miles forward to give you a ride 7 miles backwards, then justifying it by claiming that in the end you are closer than when you started.

A lot needs to be done that will never get done
Yup. If it doesn't add to the bottom line, they ain't doing it.

That's assuming Uber Destination Mode is accurate, which is not always the case.
Bingo. If you have never experienced DF sending you sideways, or even backwards, just start a thread asking people about nightmare DF routes and you will get a quick education.

Legalizeit0

every ride request should show the length of ride and the direction. We know the companies are able to do this, because Uber offers it to all Uber pro drivers, Lyft used to offer it if you had a 90% acceptance rate, now, just like them paying surge rates, it’s all disappeared.

oldfart

In a theoretical world where the DF works properly and you get rides headed to your D every time, it makes sense to take all pickups the DF mode gives you. But this is Uber we are talking about. This is a company that will send you 8 miles forward to give you a ride 7 miles backwards, then justifying it by claiming that in the end you are closer than when you
Bingo. If you have never experienced DF sending you sideways, or even backwards, just start a thread asking people about nightmare DF routes and you will get a quick education.
I know the DF says you will get rides in the direction of your destination. But what I have found is that you get rides that bring you “closer” to your destination. So if you are heading north 20 miles from your destination it’s possible to get a pickup 5 miles to the south, then 6 milles north. Or apick up 1 mile north and a ride that over shoots your destination by 10 miles.

Gby

I know the DF says you will get rides in the direction of your destination. But what I have found is that you get rides that bring you “closer” to your destination. So if you are heading north 20 miles from your destination it’s possible to get a pickup 5 miles to the south, then 6 milles north. Or apick up 1 mile north and a ride that over shoots your destination by 10 miles.
In order to much rider exactly true your destination you had to setup your arrival times otherwise they don't care about when you arrive at your destination ..