• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Long Pickup cancels are the best!

Zaarc

Got a ping for a 17 minute pickup at a train station. I took it because it was late and I was headed that way anyway. 5 minutes in I get a text about where exactly she will be standing. 3 minutes later I get a text that says "cancel". Hmmm. i surely wasnt going to send a text that told her that is not how it works, so, being the diligent ant that I am, I called her. Voicemail. OK, so I sent a question mark as a text. No reply. I go all the way there and wait...knowing she isn't going to be there. I even set off the 'i have arrived' text. Hit cancel at 5:01 and I get $13.12.

The intended trip would probably have been about $8.00 plus a couple of dollars in long pickup. I wasn't sure how they calculate such a situation but when I got home I realized that if a long pickup is cancelled for no show you get full time and mile rates for the entire time it took you to get there.That is kinda awesome, i think. (There might be a $15.00 cap. This happened once before and it was exactly 15)

But during all those empty-yet-paid miles I was trying to figure out what was going on with the pax. Was she trying to cancel the ride by just typing 'cancel'? Was she trying to get ME to cancel so she wouldn't get charged? Was she hot?

I am pretty sure she will be surprised by getting charged 13.12 plus whatever uber adds on. If she cries hard enough and in the right way can she get my unanticipated windfall reversed?

OldBay

I am pretty sure she will be surprised by getting charged 13.12 plus whatever uber adds on. If she cries hard enough and in the right way can she get my unanticipated windfall reversed?
I think you will be okay unless you partied with her back in High School and you are applying for a job with the Supreme Court.
Post automatically merged:

But during all those empty-yet-paid miles I was trying to figure out what was going on with the pax. Was she trying to cancel the ride by just typing 'cancel'? Was she trying to get ME to cancel so she wouldn't get charged? Was she hot?
That is quite the stereotype!! Because she can't operate the rider app, you assume she's hot? :o-o: :roflmao:

25rides7daysaweek

Got a ping for a 17 minute pickup at a train station. I took it because it was late and I was headed that way anyway. 5 minutes in I get a text about where exactly she will be standing. 3 minutes later I get a text that says "cancel". Hmmm. i surely wasnt going to send a text that told her that is not how it works, so, being the diligent ant that I am, I called her. Voicemail. OK, so I sent a question mark as a text. No reply. I go all the way there and wait...knowing she isn't going to be there. I even set off the 'i have arrived' text. Hit cancel at 5:01 and I get $13.12.

The intended trip would probably have been about $8.00 plus a couple of dollars in long pickup. I wasn't sure how they calculate such a situation but when I got home I realized that if a long pickup is cancelled for no show you get full time and mile rates for the entire time it took you to get there.That is kinda awesome, i think. (There might be a $15.00 cap. This happened once before and it was exactly 15)

Was she hot?
You dirty old man!!!
Enjoy the $13 ???

Atom guy

I got a long distance cancel once. It was perfect. I had just completed a long trip out of my area, so I had set the destination filter for home and was driving in that direction. I get a long distance pick up that was in the same direction I am already traveling, so I drive to the destination. I get there, and then they cancel. I forget how much it was but it was like yours. So I got paid to drive in the direction I was already traveling. Perfect!

Zaarc

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I got a long distance cancel once. It was perfect. I had just completed a long trip out of my area, so I had set the destination filter for home and was driving in that direction. I get a long distance pick up that was in the same direction I am already traveling, so I drive to the destination. I get there, and then they cancel. I forget how much it was but it was like yours. So I got paid to drive in the direction I was already traveling. Perfect!
Double good for you because I am pretty sure that if you are using DF you dont get a long pickup fee after the designated time...11 minutes for me. So I can do a 20 minute pickup on DF and not get anything extra for it.

Friendly Jack

I think you will be okay unless you partied with her back in High School and you are applying for a job with the Supreme Court.
I think you mean that he will be okay unless she says you partied with her back in High School and you are applying for a job with the Supreme Court.

SFOspeedracer

It’s because if you receive a long pickup premium notification from Uber, if you cancel they will calculate the cancel fee + miles + minutes after 10 minutes of driving

ZenUber

I had a guy who kept texting me to cancel. First message just said cancel. I ignored and kept driving. Then he sent a message that said he made a mistake, could I please cancel. I kept driving. I arrived, waited out the timer, and collected the fee. If they order a ride, and I start working for them, I take the fee.

Zaarc

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I had a guy who kept texting me to cancel. First message just said cancel. I ignored and kept driving. Then he sent a message that said he made a mistake, could I please cancel. I kept driving. I arrived, waited out the timer, and collected the fee. If they order a ride, and I start working for them, I take the fee.
Part of me wants to cut some slack for a person who makes a mistake. But then, if they have to PAY for a mistake, they are far less likely to make it again.

ZenUber

Part of me wants to cut some slack for a person who makes a mistake. But then, if they have to PAY for a mistake, they are far less likely to make it again.
If it wasn’t costing ME, I would definitely cut them some slack. I don’t think everyone needs to be taught a lesson for every mistake. I just don’t think you should let someone else pay for your mistake. That’s pretty inconsiderate.

Seamus

In the words of a long time driver and fellow UP member, that has posted this many times “the most profitable ride is the one never given”.