1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

long distance trip rider

Discussion in 'Advice' started by JayJay108, Sep 13, 2015.

1. It'd be my first time using Uber. I gotta get from Orlando near the airport to Jacksonville tomorrow leaving around 8am. How willing are drivers to make long trips like that?

2. Not sure what the distance is but I'd be thrilled.

3. its around 150 miles.

4. Gretzky

Gretzky

I'd be all in for a 150 mile trip!!! ;)

5. well hopefully someone'll be interested tomorrow morning!

6. Gretzky

Gretzky

I don't think you'll have any trouble getting a driver for this! Too bad you're not in SoCal ;) Seriously though, no driver in their right mind would turn this ride down!!!

7. Fauxknight

Fauxknight

Driving:
    UberX
    Well some have other jobs they have to get to and don't have the time, and some aren't driving cost efficient enough vehicles to make money on 1:1 paid to dead miles...but yeah, many drivers will do this trip no questions asked. Best bet is to text your driver asap and let them know the trip is long, make sure it is ok. You may also want to tip them, since they will be racking up a huge number of dead miles (unpaid miles) to get back to where they can pick people up again.

Coluber, ziliano and Cathi like this.
  8. Snowtop

Snowtop

Driving:
    UberX
    Only way I accept this trip is with an up front payment of at least $50.00 to compensate me for the deadhead return trip.

EX_ and Go4 like this.
  9. UberMensch2015

UberMensch2015

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    This is the perfect thread that shows the difference between uber drivers that know how to do this and don't. This is a TERRIBLE ride. TERRIBLE.

Orlando rates are $0.13c a minute and $0.75c a mile. The ride is 150 miles (I live in Houston so I'm using someone else's estimate). It sounds like its mostly highway so I'm going to assume an MPH of 60 (some morning traffic needs to be accounted for.

So: 150 miles * .75 a mile is $112.50
    150 minutes * .13 a minute is $19.50
    plus 1$ base fee
    Total gross is $133.00

Minus Uber commission of 20% ($26.60) leaves a net of $106.4. That means you profit $0.71 a mile for the ride. Subtract out the $0.575 mileage cost (gas/depreciation/maintenance) and you get $.135 per mile profit, or $20.25.

BUT WAIT! You have to deadhead it back because there is 0.0000% chance you will magically get a rider in Jacksonville that wants to get back to Orlando. So let's look at the numbers assuming 300 total miles now:

Net take home of $106.4. That equals $0.355 per mile (now 300 miles). Subtract out $0.575 and you get a LOSS of $0.22 per mile. That's a total of $66.00 in losses for the trip.

Bottomline, any driver who takes this trip is losing money and should immediately quit until they figure out how this all works.

EX_, Cathi and Veller like this.
  10. UberMensch2015

UberMensch2015

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    You'd still lose $16.00. That's how bad this trip is.

11. DieselkW

DieselkW

Driving:
    Lyft
    I checked the Uber "how are fares calculated" page, and did a fare estimate for Orlando airport to Jacksonville center. It will cost about $135 - exactly as UberMensch calculated.

Driver gets $108 for a 300 mile, 6 hour round trip.

That's $0.36 per mile. At 25mpg, fuel at $2.25 per gallon fuel alone is going to cost the poor guy 9 cents a mile. I don't know where the fifty seven cents per mile comes from, unless that's the current IRS deduction rate, which is no where near the actual cost to drive.

So, if he wants to take this trip, it's going to pay him twenty seven cents per mile. $81.00 for 6 hours, or $13/hour. Less the .0001% use of his tires and .5% of his 7500 mile oil change.

The good news is he can deduct on his taxes for this ride, 57 and a half cents per mile although it will only cost about ten cents a mile.

12. Huberis

Huberis

Driving:
    Taxi
    That is horrible.

13. UberMensch2015

UberMensch2015

Driving:
    UberSELECT

I hear this from drivers all the time. The feeling that the mileage deduction is not accruate and that there real costs of drving are less than $0.575 a mile. This is what Uber wants you to think, and it is wrong. The IRS deduction rate is, indeed, a good approximation of the actual cost to drive.

From the Detroit News:

"Fuel costs only represent a portion of what the IRS considers when it produces mileage rates, said Jennifer Jenkins, western Pennsylvania spokeswoman for the tax service. The IRS relies on a variety of fixed and variable factors.
    The government has calculated that it is becoming more expensive for drivers to own, lease, insure and maintain their vehicles. Those increases more than offset fuel savings, at least for now.
    IRS mileage rates are based on research from Runzheimer International, a travel management firm in Wisconsin. The government has worked with the company for the past 35 years, said Cris Robinson, research analysis supervisor with Runzheimer.
    “Even when your operational costs are going down — that’s the fuel, the maintenance, the tires, the oil, all of those things — the fixed costs are usually a little bit more as far as the annual cost of the vehicle,” Robinson said.
    Those fixed costs, which include vehicle depreciation, have been rising steadily since the late 2000s, she said."

My numbers are accurate. He doesn't make any money on the trip. He loses money.

Veller likes this.
  14. I prefer to use $0.60 per mile to give me a bit of wiggle room.

$0.60 * 300 mile round trip = $180 in trip expenses.

My time is worth a minimum of $25 per hour. Approximately 5 hour round trip = $125

$125 + $180 = $305

I wouldn’t even start my engine unless I was guaranteed a minimum $305 for the trip.

$381.25 before Uber cut.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2015
  15. Fauxknight

Fauxknight

Driving:
    UberX
    Holy cow, I see that they are, didn't realize Orlando was giving out almost free rides. I change my stance, I would not take this one at those rates, I probably wouldn't be driving at those rates period. Our rates here aren't exactly high, but they're close to 50% higher than Orlando.

16. OrlUberOffDriver

OrlUberOffDriver

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    He posted this in the Orlando forum at 6:23pm and got basically told to take a hike.
    This is the typical rider that will 1 star you and NO tip!

17. JimS

JimS

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Dude should ride Amtrak. Or take Greyhound. Small chat gets boring after 15 minutes. Tolerable up to around 30 minutes. 45 minutes gets into quiet time. $32 on Amtrak and it takes 3 hours and 11 minutes. Uber to/from each train station and you're set. Biggest problem is that the calling times are early afternoon and mid evening Northbound.

18. UberMensch2015

UberMensch2015

Driving:
    UberSELECT

This is a sensible approach and good maths.

19. DieselkW

DieselkW

Driving:
    Lyft
    Laughable.
    If it actually costs sixty cents a mile to drive why would anyone be so abysmally STUPID as to turn on a partner app? $0.75/mile minus 20% EQUALS sixty cents. Not including the cost to get to the pax. Are you a driver? Are you that dumb? Are you actually buying into the 60 cents per mile cost; you're actually defending a calculation that proves you're an idiot to drive for Uber? You think your time is worth less than 10 cents a minute because you don't get paid for the time it takes to get to the pax, wait for the pax, and then drive the pax around for 60 cents per mile at a cost of 57.5 cents plus 10 cents a minute?

You either need a different car, or admit it doesn't actually cost 57 cents a mile to drive.
    What's it going to be?

20. UberMensch2015

UberMensch2015

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    If you read my posts you'd see that I agree, anyone that drives for UberX rates is a moron. I only drive surges and UberSelect and keep my per mile income (net income, not gross) to 1.57 or more (I average 1.72 or so depending on volume). That includes paid and deadhead miles, FYI. I don't drive much, sometimes not for weeks, because the circumstances that present themselves to achieve profitability on my terms are rare. Eventually they will disappear altogether and then I'll stop driving entirely.

I also class out of self-employment SS tax so that increases my profitability. You have to know your numbers and I know mine cold so I NEVER take an unprofitable fare, that the game for me. If it means I drive one fare a week so be it. That's the only approach to Uber that works. Know you're required per mile net income and never accept a fare below it. That's why it can only be a marginal income for drivers, never a full time job, because it can't be done profitably at full time.

You can believe that your car does not cost $0.575 a mile to operate in 2015 (or roughly thereabouts) but that doesn't make it true. The rate is set that way because its an accurate reflection of true cost, not a reflection of your fantasies.

CommanderXL likes this.