Long Delivery Simply Not Worth It

Driving With A Purpose

I got the following ping at 8:45pm on Wednesday evening:

27.5 miles out of my way supposedly taking 39 minutes (yeah right!) for only $11.22 including tip. Round-trip would have been a little less than the 55 miles you think it would be, so let's say 50 miles round trip.

Hey folks, that's 22 cents a mile. There is no way I'd take that driving in the opposite direction of where I wanted to go. If this was on my way home, that's one thing, but it was totally in the opposite direction.

Yes, it did occur to me that potentially this could be one of those where they are only showing the maximum $8 they will show for a tip and perhaps the tip would have been much more. That just doesn't make sense. Why? Even UE wouldn't dare pay only $3.22 for driving 27.5 miles to complete a delivery. At least I don't think they would.

Nonetheless, this seems like an awful long distance to drive. At that time of night I'm surprised that they even offered it to me. There had to be other drivers (on their way home or whatever) where this would have been a better deal for them.

Also, in a metro area with over a million people, isn't 27.5 miles an awful long distance for ANY food delivery?

This is a good example of where it would make sense for UE (or any delivery company) to be honest and tell the customer that they will have a hard time finding a driver unless the deal is priced substantially higher.

Monkeyman4394

27.5 miles out of my way supposedly taking 39 minutes (yeah right!) for only $11.22 including tip. Round-trip would have been a little less than the 55 miles you think it would be, so let's say 50 miles round trip.

Hey folks, that's 22 cents a mile. There is no way I'd take that driving in the opposite direction of where I wanted to go. If this was on my way home, that's one thing, but it was totally in the opposite direction.

Yes, it did occur to me that potentially this could be one of those where they are only showing the maximum $8 they will show for a tip and perhaps the tip would have been much more. That just doesn't make sense. Why? Even UE wouldn't dare pay only $3.22 for driving 27.5 miles to complete a delivery. At least I don't think they would.

Nonetheless, this seems like an awful long distance to drive. At that time of night I'm surprised that they even offered it to me. There had to be other drivers (on their way home or whatever) where this would have been a better deal for them.

Also, in a metro area with over a million people, isn't 27.5 miles an awful long distance for ANY food delivery?

This is a good example of where it would make sense for UE (or any delivery company) to be honest and tell the customer that they will have a hard time finding a driver unless the deal is priced substantially higher.
Where do you drive? I only see offers that terrible from DoorDash.

Alltel77

I was always under the impression the restaurants chose their delivery radius but I was talking to a restaurant owner a couple weeks ago about these far asf deliveries ue (and dd) try to send me. He said the apps recently expanded their delivery radius but I'm pretty sure the restaurant has a say in how far. His restaurant is trying to send people from fort Lauderdale to Miami Gardens, the Everglades, north of boca , ridiculous. I had one on DD try to send me almost to the start of the keys.

Floofy

It should just say due to how far away it is the delivery is X amount more.

TheDevilisaParttimer

Uber been smoking crack rocks...
Screenshot_20201023-080417_Gallery.jpg

rideshareapphero

No way I wouldn't take that even if it was on my way home, that's charity work, but like you said some other sucker probably took it, once I met a noob dd driver who took a 10 mile delivery for peanuts, I just told him keep up the good work.

Last edited:

sporadic

Long deliveries were never worth it.

In Melbourne, when Uber Eats first started, the fare was A$10/pickup and A$1.40/km. Minimum fare A$11.50.

I was chasing the short trips to max out the A$10 pickups fees.

Some deliveries were short enough to be walked... even better!

Gone_in_60_seconds

The worst part about all this after driving 27 miles to make delivery, you may not even get a tip. So, yes, this is totally unacceptable. The problem with long deliveries is wherever you complete the delivery, you may need to drive back to the original restaurant or pick up Uber-X requests for the trip back.

Good for you bro, for resisting garbage click bait!!! 🤦‍♂️ 🤦‍♂️ 🤦‍♂️