Uber Drivers Forum banner

Logan Fee Increase

2K views 40 replies 18 participants last post by  Ssgcraig 
#1 ·
Look what I got today:

See less See more
#15 ·
I am not so sure they will even realize there is an increase in fee. Most don't even realize they are paying a fee now. Will this effect the amount of riders? I doubt it. People will still need rides from the airport. They still take uber and Lyft when there is a surge. Surge certainly doesn't stop them. Will this drive them cabs and livery services which will still be charging more? I doubt it. My guess this is all a set up for the introduction of line and pool at the airport.

#5 ·
Lyft/Uber certainly wasn't complaining that you needed an expensive medallion to operate a cab in Boston. They certainly were not complaining when a cab has to pay a pick up fee and Uber/Lyft did not. They certainly weren't complaining about cab drivers needing fingerprints.

^ You're missing the larger point; this will effect drivers on both platforms. Every rider I've talked to hates the central parking proposal. They're not gonna be happy about paying more for something they don't like.
Exactly what I have been saying from the pax point of view.

If anyone does any sort of travel on a regular basis they know how much of pain this can be.

#41 ·
Lyft/Uber certainly wasn't complaining that you needed an expensive medallion to operate a cab in Boston. They certainly were not complaining when a cab has to pay a pick up fee and Uber/Lyft did not. They certainly weren't complaining about cab drivers needing fingerprints.

Exactly what I have been saying from the pax point of view.

If anyone does any sort of travel on a regular basis they know how much of pain this can be.
Taxis are not complaining that Uber and Lyft are subsidizing them either. How much per ride is extorted from Uber to the taxis?

They can't make you take any ride. The only way they can get around this is if we have to sign another addendum stating that if we opt in for airport rides, if we drop off we have to wait to pick up. But once again, even if you opted in to the airport, who are they to tell you when you want to stop working. They can't. You could drop off and then just turn off app and leave. Granted they could turn your app off for a set period of time if you leave without a fare and have opted in, but I don't see any of those scenarios happening.
Exactly, claim you are managing your time since MA law restricts drivers from being online for more than 12 hours. Shut the app off.

#6 ·
Enough with the yammering. Taxis and Limos have had well established pick up zones at the airport for decades.

By the nature of taxi cabs queueing up at a curb and having passengers jump in is ideal and the method by which they operate.

How would any of you feel about rideshares lining up and taking whatever person jumped in first?

Why whine about the fees? Are you paying them? Not fair not to charge taxi/limos the same....well BOO-F’in-HOO. I didn’t hear any complaints about rideshare rates being lower than cab rates which is a large part of the attraction of rideshares.

#7 ·
How would any of you feel about rideshares lining up and taking whatever person jumped in first?
That's happening at other airports and is probably coming to Logan at one point.

Massport is being short sighted with this. Whether you, or they, like it or not rideshare is growing and fast becoming the preferred choice by the traveling public. The days of taxis taking the best real estate in the city and and the airport are numbered.

Instead of half ass solutions that anyone with a brain knows isn't going to work well they should swallow their pride, turn down the kick backs from the taxi interest groups and find a solution that works for everyone involved.

Penalizing pax by requiring them to pay more and be treated like second class citizens in the process is government at it's best. Shamefull.

#16 ·
Most of my Logan riders are business people - business people wont want to ride pool, their time is more important than saving money. So dont expect pool to grow.

Walking to/from central parking is a piece of the change. Riders will have to wait in central parking for an elevator to take them from floor 1 to 4. The elevators are already too slow...I used to walk the stairs rather than wait. At the other end in the terminals the riders will wait again for elevators to take them up 3/4 floors. These elevators are again very slow - I also would walk these stairs rather than wait. So add it up - elevator wait in central parking, walk to terminal, elevator wait at terminal...add it all up and you are adding 20 minutes to every Uber ride.

And do you think MassPort has any idea how they are going to magically match droppoff drivers with arriving riders, so drivers dont leave Logan empty? How will Logan eliminate the 150-200 drivers typically waiting in the TNC lot?

Mass Port has no idea what they are doing. This proposal is a Taxi owners hit job on Logan ridesharing.

#20 ·
They can't make you take any ride. The only way they can get around this is if we have to sign another addendum stating that if we opt in for airport rides, if we drop off we have to wait to pick up. But once again, even if you opted in to the airport, who are they to tell you when you want to stop working. They can't. You could drop off and then just turn off app and leave. Granted they could turn your app off for a set period of time if you leave without a fare and have opted in, but I don't see any of those scenarios happening.

#28 ·
So the new proposal is if I drop off at the airport I can't just leave I have to pick up someone else?
I haven't seen that stated or proposed, seems impractical or impossible.

What is proposed is that a dropoff driver WILL BE ABLE to magically get matched with a waiting ride request and quickly leave the airport with a passenger in the back seat. If Mass Port could make this scenario common, then the large number of drivers currently leaving Logan empty because there is a TNC lot queue of 150/200, or 1-2 hours of wait time, would be instantly eliminated, reducing road congestion. How Mass Port can accomplish this magic, and how the 150/200 cars that otherwise wait at Logan will disappear, is likely a detail Mass Port hasn't bother to consider.

#31 ·
lol. We are talking about $1.75 increase. What's the big deal?
That's why, people are so buried in debt nowadays, cuz everybody says: Is only a dollar here and there, by the end of the month, you're own thousands of dollars in little things
My kid asked me the other day:Dad when you gonna replace the family car?
My answer: car is paid for, have only 70k on it, maybe in 6 or 7 more years, meanwhile, we save a little every month, so we can buy the next car in cash, as we did with this one

#32 ·
That's why, people are so buried in debt nowadays, cuz everybody says: Is only a dollar here and there, by the end of the month, you're own thousands of dollars in little things
My kid asked me the other day:biggrin:ad when you gonna replace the family car?
My answer: car is paid for, have only 70k on it, maybe in 6 or 7 more years, meanwhile, we save a little every month, so we can buy the next car in cash, as we did with this one
Maybe, but I would say that most of the debt that people carry are from larger purchases. Car fixes, college tuition, trips, public transportation, medical expenses etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.