Logan Airport 3.4 million passengers in June

BostonTaxiDriver

It sure is not helping in the taxi pool: two waits of 80 minutes last night, another tonight, and waiting that long now at 1:38 a.m. and still not at a terminal...may be two hours ultimately.

Again, as I mentioned in another thread, there's only so much work to go around at the airport, and now X and Lyft will be trying to share that. We'll all be livid at each other.

Gung-Ho

uber is best at skimming the cream. Look at the business they claim is under served. business travelers convention center, logan airport, millenial college crowd with parents linked credit card to pay their rides. When are they going to start making accommodations for the elderly who can't use smart phones or welfare people who can't afford the phone and handicapped. When government stooges wake up and realize that the uber model is DISCRIMINATORY and force them to offer the service equally to everybody the bloom will fall off the rose for a lot of drivers.

Golfermack

Again, as I mentioned in another thread, there's only so much work to go around at the airport, and now X and Lyft will be trying to share that. We'll all be livid at each other.
It will be all new/additional business for UberX and Lyft. No downside for them. They won't be livid/made at taxi drivers.

Golfermack

Not necessarily.

I've had pax admit or outright tell me they'd prefer to be in an Uber and not my cab from Logan.
That's my point. Many, if not most, of the airport taxi paxs will switch to Uber/Lyft if they're granted access to the airport.

I think you misunderstood me. I was saying Uber/Lyft drivers won't be "livid" at taxi drivers.

BostonTaxiDriver

That's my point. Many, if not most, of the airport taxi paxs will switch to Uber/Lyft if they're granted access to the airport.

I think you misunderstood me. I was saying Uber/Lyft drivers won't be "livid" at taxi drivers.
Yes, I misunderstood.

I thought you meant any and all rideshsre traffic out of Logan would be attributable to those who would never take a cab from Logan and instead ride the T -- and who now have a juicy option and will jump at it. Of course, in reality many will be disgruntled current taxi riders who'll gladly make the jump.

Or instead of a $$$ late-night taxi to Lowell, they would have formerly and reluctantly asked a friend to pick them up. Now, they'll just pay a palatable $40-45 (?) (and no tip needed!) price with Uber instead of the $92.80 flat rate plus toll plus tip in a cab.

Yes, we'll see if rideshare will be allowed to surge at Logan...or even if multiple loading will be sanctioned during weather emergencies and such. Multiple loading is so rare with cabs at Logan, at least in recent years.

As I said elsewhere, it's all about price with many pax, even those who you think would be insensitive. That business taxi pax to Waltham Westin hotel admitted she was riding a cab versus the more expensive UberBlack rates she had endured. She's now a likely candidate for UberX at Logan,, right? And will ditch the taxi.

My fare to Wayland this week (rare great fare) was $94 including tolls and a nice tip. I admit, that's gross and a cab ride shouldn't cost that much; and an UberX ride shouldn't only cost $40 or whatever.

Last edited:

Golfermack

Now, they'll just pay a palatable $40-45 (?) (and no tip needed!) price with Uber instead of the $92.80 flat rate plus toll plus tip in a cab.
Ouch. Please don't say that. We're trying to change that mentality.

Yes, we'll see if rideshare will be allowed to surge at Logan...or even if multiple loading will be sanctioned during weather emergencies and such. Multiple loading is so rare with cabs at Logan, at least in recent years.
Miami, Ft. Lauderdale and West Palm Beach airports never have any surge rates. I'm not sure if they do Uberpool at those airport. I know they do in Washington, DC as I took a pool ride from the airport (and I tipped the driver).

Gung-Ho

Can't wait to see how the Logan thing will play out. I see references to new insurance requirements for ubers. I wonder what those are. They will pick up at the Limo areas so says the plan does that mean they will be pulling tickets at the limo shack? Will they need to be badged like Livery drivers?

BostonTaxiDriver

Miami, Ft. Lauderdale and West Palm Beach airports never have any surge rates. I'm not sure if they do Uberpool at those airport. I know they do in Washington, DC as I took a pool ride from the airport (and I tipped the driver).
Oops, sorry about that "no tip needed reference." I said it tongue-in-cheek, but it wasn't conveyed that way. I'll have to be more careful.

Did the Pool driver in D C. experience any symptoms of shock when he received a Pool tip?

BostonTaxiDriver

Can't wait to see how the Logan thing will play out. I see references to new insurance requirements for ubers. I wonder what those are. They will pick up at the Limo areas so says the plan does that mean they will be pulling tickets at the limo shack? Will they need to be badged like Livery drivers?
In some cities (Houston?), a rideshare driver needa a decal/permit, maybe $100-$200 annually, in order to pick up at their airports...I believe.

And as I said, many airport jobs only go to North End/Seaport. I was paid tonight $23+ on a credit card, after an hour wait, to the North End. After credit card fees and tolls, I made little. That's at $2.80 per mile... how will ridesharers appreciate only $1. 24 per mile or so just to the North End...and no tip?

Last edited:

Golfermack

Oops, sorry about that "no tip needed reference." I said it tongue-in-cheek, but it wasn't conveyed that way. I'll have to be more careful.
Thank you.

Did the Pool driver in D C. experience any symptoms of shock when he received a Pool tip?
No. He was very talkative in a positive way. He already had 2 paxs in the car when he picked up my wife and I. I was surprised he had picked the other couple up at the DEPARTURES terminal. We are not allowed to do that in south Florida.

romik12

Hello!
Can uber-driver pick up pax at Airoport MBTA station?
I got a ping there this morning, but wasnt sure!
Thanks

Golfermack

And as I said, many airport jobs only go to North End/Seaport. I was paid tonight $23+ on a credit card, after an hour wait, to the North End. After credit card fees and tolls, I made little. That's at $2.80 per mile... how will ridesharers appreciate only $1. 24 per mile or so just to the North End?
If the Uber cue is too long, Uber drivers won't wait an hour for an airport fare when they can make ~$20/hr elsewhere.

Do you know CityofPresidents02171? I (JohnJJ2) left you, I mean him, a reply on the Boston Globe :smiles:

What is the insurance coverage for a taxi passenger?

BostonTaxiDriver

If the Uber cue is too long, Uber drivers won't wait an hour for an airport fare when they can make ~$20/hr elsewhere.

Do you know CityofPresidents02171? I (JohnJJ2) left you, I mean him, a reply on the Boston Globe :smiles:

What is the insurance coverage for a taxi passenger?
Yes, that's me.

An Uber driver there or some other related article on the site also mentioned to the readers that they should tip, as I also mentioned (to your appreciation).

But relatively so few people read these comments or the Boston Globe.com comments that it's almost fruitless.

I still remember when a young drunk corrected me a few months ago, explaining that one doesn't tip Uber drivers with cash... one tips in stars! Oh, okay.

Golfermack

Yes, that's me.

An Uber driver there or some other related article on the site also mentioned to the readers that they should tip, as I also mentioned (to your appreciation).

But relatively so few people read these comments or the Boston Globe.com comments that it's almost fruitless.

I still remember when a young drunk corrected me a few months ago, explaining that one doesn't tip Uber drivers with cash... one tips in stars! Oh, okay.
My apologies. I meant to acknowledge you're encouraging riders to tip the Uber drivers. Thank you.

But why do you say Uber drivers should have full time commercial insurance? Why do they need commercial insurance when they are using their cars for personal use, which is most of the time?

BillyTheKidd

You don't accept Pool requests but you took Uber Pool from an airport in D.C.?

Uber X is so inexpensive I could never be bothered to take Pool. As a pax, the time lost picking up other pax is not worth the savings to me.

I will never forget the last Pool trip I accepted. 3 different pax and the total trip was just under 1 hour and my payout was less than $20. The 3rd pax who got in my car was in the car for about 40 minutes. I cannot imagine worrying about saving a few bucks for all that extra time.

Last edited:

Golfermack

You don't accept Pool requests but you took Uber Pool from an airport in D.C.?

Uber X is so inexpensive I could never be bothered to take Pool. As a pax, the time lost picking up other pax is not worth the savings to me.

I will never forget the last Pool trip I accepted. 3 different pax and the total trip was just under 1 hour and my payout was less than $20. The 3rd pax who got in my car was in the car for about 40 minutes. I cannot imagine worrying about saving a few bucks for all that extra time.
I see your point. I guess I was in "consumer" mode. If it's any saving grace, I did tip the driver $5.