Locked Out After Pax Complaints

Yankee

Sunday night: The lady was standing out there ready to go but told me she wanted to wait until her friend's ride arrived. Her point of destination was 1.1 miles away. I agreed to wait until the mandatory 5 min was up. When her time was up, she said she wasn't ready yet, so I said: "bye, gotta go". She got all huffy and jumped in front seat beefing about how "nobody ever gave me a hard time over this before", so I guess it's a regular thing. Then she wants me to stop off at a gas station so she can get cigarettes. I say "no", which prompts more beefing and then a threat to "report" me to customer service. I gave her the lowdown on how unprofitable such rides are, and told her she ought to be tipping guys as a matter of course. She promises me a tip if I take her to the gas station, which I did, and of course, all I get is a promise to tip me in the app. Instead, she reports me, and I get a notice that I'm "locked out" until I come in for my requisite scolding.

I walk into the office and a really nice fella informs me there's a pattern of "rude driver" complaints on me over the past few weeks (I've only been driving for a few days for this company, after taking the summer off), and asks if I need a break. I tell the nice young fella, "look, this is my car, it's my business, and my rule is if people get in my car and decide to be demanding & disrespectful to me for a lousy $3, they can forget it. I'm not bending over backward for customer service at the rates you're paying." He agrees it's a low rate but informs me that even pax going 1 mile deserve as much respect as pax going 20 miles. I let him know, yes that's true, but if a pax gets in my car and starts demanding I wait for them while they diddle around, and do favors for them for zero profit, then, um, no, that's a lousy business model. As independent contractors, each of us has to have a business model that supports our bottom line. He repeated his company line, and I didn't argue. He was a nice guy, just doing his job.

Before leaving I told him, the fees you guys are paying is deplorable, we all know that. But to ask us to put up with crap from rude pax for these prices is out of line. It's not gonna happen. I'll take the "rude" ratings. Every now and then they'll lock me out and force me to come into get scolded.

TNCMinWage

Sorry bro, that sucks. Glad you gave some lip at the office! Next time, cancel on that pax after the 5 mins, if she hops in your seat tell her you didn't start the ride and that she's trespassing. Tell her you will call police and record it on your phone video just in case you need some proof.

Those damn entitled, cheap, disrespectful pax just suck...!

Yankee

Sorry bro, that sucks. Glad you gave some lip at the office! Next time, cancel on that pax after the 5 mins, if she hops in your seat tell her you didn't start the ride and that she's trespassing. Tell her you will call police and record it on your phone video just in case you need some proof.

Those damn entitled, cheap, disrespectful pax just suck...!

Yeah though what gets me is how the company locks me out and makes me come in like I'm being called to the principles office. Then they give me some bullshit lecture about customer service. They want it both ways: to hire a bunch of independent contractors, but they want to treat us like underlings out there representing them, paying peanuts and tolerating bullshit. He actually advised me to button my lip rather than set boundaries inside my own vehicle. That's just twisted.

itsablackmarket

It seems like people have nothing better to do than judge their driver. Is this a sport now? I think pax think it's their job to get you for something. Teachers pet type thing, in this case the teacher is Uber.

KMANDERSON

Sunday night: The lady was standing out there ready to go but told me she wanted to wait until her friend's ride arrived. Her point of destination was 1.1 miles away. I agreed to wait until the mandatory 5 min was up. When her time was up, she said she wasn't ready yet, so I said: "bye, gotta go". She got all huffy and jumped in front seat beefing about how "nobody ever gave me a hard time over this before", so I guess it's a regular thing. Then she wants me to stop off at a gas station so she can get cigarettes. I say "no", which prompts more beefing and then a threat to "report" me to customer service. I gave her the lowdown on how unprofitable such rides are, and told her she ought to be tipping guys as a matter of course. She promises me a tip if I take her to the gas station, which I did, and of course, all I get is a promise to tip me in the app. Instead, she reports me, and I get a notice that I'm "locked out" until I come in for my requisite scolding.

I walk into the office and a really nice fella informs me there's a pattern of "rude driver" complaints on me over the past few weeks (I've only been driving for a few days for this company, after taking the summer off), and asks if I need a break. I tell the nice young fella, "look, this is my car, it's my business, and my rule is if people get in my car and decide to be demanding & disrespectful to me for a lousy $3, they can forget it. I'm not bending over backward for customer service at the rates you're paying." He agrees it's a low rate but informs me that even pax going 1 mile deserve as much respect as pax going 20 miles. I let him know, yes that's true, but if a pax gets in my car and starts demanding I wait for them while they diddle around, and do favors for them for zero profit, then, um, no, that's a lousy business model. As independent contractors, each of us has to have a business model that supports our bottom line. He repeated his company line, and I didn't argue. He was a nice guy, just doing his job.

Before leaving I told him, the fees you guys are paying is deplorable, we all know that. But to ask us to put up with crap from rude pax for these prices is out of line. It's not gonna happen. I'll take the "rude" ratings. Every now and then they'll lock me out and force me to come into get scolded.
They force you to go talk in the office?Uber and lyft need to realize their low rates cause these problems,if the rides were profitable most drivers would not mind having to take a few of these rides every once in a while.Never seen uber make someone come to the hub for a talk before.

Last edited:

tohunt4me

Yeah though what gets me is how the company locks me out and makes me come in like I'm being called to the principles office. Then they give me some bullshit lecture about customer service. They want it both ways: to hire a bunch of independent contractors, but they want to treat us like underlings out there representing them, paying peanuts and tolerating bullshit. He actually advised me to button my lip rather than set boundaries inside my own vehicle. That's just twisted.
Thats when you TURN ON LYFT !

LOWER RATES MEAN ZERO LOYALTY !

Yankee

They force you to go talk in the office?Uber and lyft need to realize their low rates cause these problems,if the rides were profitable most drivers would not mind having to take a few of these rides every once in a while.Never seen uber make someone come to the hub for a talk before.

It was Fasten. I won't work for Uber again, and so far Lyft has been pretty cool with me. Fasten, on the other hand, has locked me out TWICE and forced me to come in to explain petty pax complaints. The first time the guy was very cool about it, didn't give me a hard time. The second time the guy, who looked like he was fresh out of college, thought it was fine to lecture me about customer service. And I reminded him I'm an independent contractor and have decided that my business model doesn't compel me to take shit from cheap people for $4.

AustinAD99

Yeah,
Fasten is horrible to work with. Gave it up after being called on the carpet the first time.
@@@@er give way to much power to their worker bees that 'manage' drivers - had one tell me that 'my time doesn't matter as I'm a contract employee' - told him 'not anymore' and stopped driving Fasten.

TNCMinWage

Yeah,
Fasten is horrible to work with. Gave it up after being called on the carpet the first time.
&%[email protected]!*er give way to much power to their worker bees that 'manage' drivers - had one tell me that 'my time doesn't matter as I'm a contract employee' - told him 'not anymore' and stopped driving Fasten.

I honestly haven't found them bad to work with at all, but that could just be my experience. But even if they are a bunch of chumps, I still find the pay much better getting rides from their customers vs. the newcomers. Worth sucking it up - in my opinion....

Yankee

I honestly haven't found them bad to work with at all, but that could just be my experience. But even if they are a bunch of chumps, I still find the pay much better getting rides from their customers vs. the newcomers. Worth sucking it up - in my opinion....

I stay with them for that reason alone, but their uber-wannabe act leaves me with zero loyalty for them. I am ready to jump ship and drive for their competitor any moment, given the bullshit way they try to "manage" me. If I get locked out one more time, or get another bullshit text from them (yeah, I've gotten 2 texts from them telling me about pax complaints that were more than a bit fishy. I think they're young people who get a bug up their ass and are not above trolling a driver they don't like.)

TNCMinWage

I stay with them for that reason alone, but their uber-wannabe act leaves me with zero loyalty for them. I am ready to jump ship and drive for their competitor any moment, given the bullshit way they try to "manage" me. If I get locked out one more time, or get another bullshit text from them (yeah, I've gotten 2 texts from them telling me about pax complaints that were more than a bit fishy. I think they're young people who get a bug up their ass and are not above trolling a driver they don't like.)

There all young, arrogant pri**s, trust me. I once drove a former employee from Lyft. She was telling me about their daily lavish lunches back at HQ, while I'm driving her cheap ass at .79 a mile. Wanted to toss her out of my car. But I gave her an earful on their ways, told her how much I hated their return to Austin, and tried to make her feel as small as possible about what ridesharing truly is and what she's actually accomplished!