1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Load bags or no?

Discussion in 'Advice' started by rdhdstpchld, Sep 8, 2015.

1. rdhdstpchld

rdhdstpchld

wondering- do you or don't you? Given the 'relaxed pay schedule' I often debate...sometimes I do ( if they look frail or haggard). No difference in tips so I almost feel like why bother?

Casuale Haberdasher likes this.
  2. merkurfan

merkurfan

Driving:
    UberX
    I'll push the trunk button for you. hurry up!

ashevillecabbie and Cathi like this.
  3. TwoFiddyMile

TwoFiddyMile

Driving:
    Taxi
    I generally get tips. I load. I unload.
    If I were an uber I might be prompted to ask "I'll consider loading your luggage, if you'll consider a tip".

XUberMike likes this.
  4. merkurfan

merkurfan

Driving:
    UberX
    I did 30 rides.. NO ONE tipped. I was nice, helped when needed.. eff um.. load your own crap and hurry up.

SharedRideTruther likes this.
  5. Uberest

Uberest

Driving:
    UberX
    I always hop out of the car and get the bags and load them into the trunk. Unload them too. I want my 5 stars and a possible tip, though truthfully I rarely have received a tip.

6. Yes, on the rationalization that I would rather close my trunk than have them slam it.

Sacto Burbs and TwoFiddyMile like this.
  7. ATX 22

ATX 22

I load and unload anything going in the trunk. Don't want pax dragging stuff across my bumper. If they tip, great and 5☆ for them, if they don't tip, it's 3☆ as I drive off, especially if I see them tip the bellhop or anyone else along the way.

8. volksie

volksie

Yep, it's about the bumpers for me. You & I have the same rating system & helping with luggage doesn't get tips.

9. ATX 22

ATX 22

It's about 50/50 on airport rides for me. Way less on other rides. Non tippers are a 4 at best. There are a lot of 4☆ riders out there. They're really nice, trip is good, but they don't tip at all. Someone gives just a $1 tip, they're 5☆ from me. .

10. DocT

DocT Moderator

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    I load the luggage into the trunk myself to prevent pax scuffing up my bumper. No tip. Sometimes I wonder if there's a dead body in these luggage because I thought max load per baggage was 50lbs. And yes, I've weighed a lot of bags for family and lift up to 50lbs of equipment at my day job.

11. Cathi

Cathi

I'm not endangering my back by hauling somebody's body bag. They want to take luggage, it's on them.

12. Gretzky

Gretzky

My general rule of thumb is to treat the Pax the way I would like to be treated. When it comes to my car, stand back.. I got this! Not to mentioning in a perfect world, a tip will follow #WishfulThinking

Last edited: Sep 8, 2015
    JMBF831 and ATX 22 like this.
  13. JMBF831

JMBF831

Driving:
    UberX
    The same happened to me when I started. 1 tip in 20 trips. I've found this number to be more like 3-4% of clients will tip you. So in the next 70 trips you should receive 3 or 4 tips, on average.

Cathi likes this.
  14. Renaldow

Renaldow

Driving:
    UberX
    For Uber, generally I don't unless there's a physical needs type issue. I'm happy to help then. When I drive Lyft I usually do, mainly because Lyft encourages tipping in the app. Never got a tip from an Uber pax for loading, always get a tip from a Lyft pax for loading.

Cathi and Casuale Haberdasher like this.
  15. Gretzky

Gretzky

Why not increase the chances of getting a tip, versus guaranteeing you won't get one when driving for Uber RenaldowRenaldow ?

volksie likes this.
  16. Renaldow

Renaldow

Driving:
    UberX
    The tip's already included with Uber, didn't you know? Never got a cash tip with Uber riders for loading bags. All the mints, water, and loaded bags in the world won't increase the chances of a tip when you're dealing with a system that says not required and so the pax doesn't carry cash or doesn't think they need to.

17. DocT

DocT Moderator

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Your Uber tip chance increases by about 0.001% for un/loading luggage. Good luck! I get better odds at the Vegas slots.

endeliz, Cathi and Huberis like this.
  18. KeJorn

KeJorn

Driving:
    UberX
    I always get out to assist with luggage/bags, etc.
    Sometimes the minute I pop the lever, they are already opening the trunk and placing bags in. I still assist if needed.
    Sometimes they tip, many times they do not, however I never do anything JUST for a tip.
    I do it because I would appreciate someone doing the same for me and it gives me yet another chance to stretch my legs and arms.
    I do not always get out and open doors. It simply depends on the circumstances, especially depending on how and where we stop, even how they are dressed.
    In general, if I am already out and helping with bags, etc, then I will open doors if they have not yet. While I may not worry about dressing up or providing things like water or gum, I do believe in good service, though I do not trip over myself to provide it.

You make your own judgement call on what you are willing to do.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2015
    Casuale Haberdasher likes this.
  19. Thehulk

Thehulk

I'm with the other fellas, I'm worried more about them inconsiderate, cheapo to scratch my bumper. To get my bumper repainted it costs me 350-450 dollars. And gives me the opportunity to stretch my legs and arms. Regardless what you do, give, mints, water, hand sanitizer some have the nerves to rate you 3 and 4 stars after you gave them superb customer service. #foodforthought

UberMeansSuper likes this.
  20. Gretzky

Gretzky

RenaldowRenaldow DocTDocT With all due respect, you are shooting yourselves in the foot on this one! Although the odds of getting a tip are low, they increase if you are willing to go the extra mile. Here is proof from the last week. Tips.JPG