Living in your car

goneubering

About a years 1/2 ago I was on vacation in San Francisco, I met a guy that does Uber Eats, Grub Hub, and DD. He told me he lives in his car, because rent is too expensive, he’s bettter off saving money living in his car the money he save he’s going to buy a house cash. He said he joins a gym $10 a month to bathe. He makes $800 to $1,400 a week depending on how many days and hours he wants to put in. Beside living in his car he also has a tent to camp out in the woods.

On CNN yesterday I saw this article about Ubering and living in a car.

This is so sad. :frown:

Amos69

I have been considering a boat. 40 or so feet, something i could sail to warmer climates to in winter.

The trick is, a slip in a marina can be pricey.
But an anchorage in the bay can be free.

A decade, this ship has been circumnavigating the globe. They rode out the Pandemic start in the Bahamas at double breasted key.

Check it out! the two titty yacht club seems like more fun than most people here had.

Cept me of course

Trafficat

Sad that she was previously harrassed. It is really great that the parking lot is offering free security to the homeless Uberzens of LA.

I've spent a lot of nights sleeping in my car. It's so much better to have a car to sleep in than to live in a cardboard box or worse. I see a homeless people bundled in blankets in doorways of closed shops at night. That would be rough.

jeanocelot

I remember when I was getting an apartment in SoCal in the late '80s, I had to come up with 2-1/2 times a monthly rent. For $2350/mo like for the gal in the article, that would be about $6K! :eek: :eek: What kind of homeless person has that kind of cash lying around?

Last edited:

ANT 7

I watched a YT documentary on Japanese living in internet cafes last week actually.......as well as a couple on how the lower income live in HK. For example, using about a 50-60 square feet room and shared washroom facilities. Like cubicle farms, but in high rises.

Cvillegordo

Good beer buddy of mine for over a decade or so lives in a small RV. Been doing this since 2005 IIRC.

Works 2 jobs, parks wherever he wants for free, and has saved mid 6 figures. I've seen his bank app. He's going for a million, then he said he's checking out.......gonna travel on the cheap. Figures he's 5-7 years away.

Wifey and I own a condo 4 blocks from the beach in Copacabana, Rio de Janeiro. Cost us $60K USD in 2003....probably only worth $80-90K USD today......cheap RE is all over the world.

Sometimes, the only thing that stands between you and a really cool life experience is a language. There are better places to live in this world than North America.
Awesome! I lived in Brazil in the late 70s, went to high school in Sao Paulo. Visited Rio a few times, not since. I have a couple high school friends who live in Rio today. On my bucket list!

ANT 7

Cool man !!

Sampa is a biiiiiiig city......I remember my first flight to Brasil in February 2000. Connected to Rio thru Congonhas airport in Sao Paulo. We're landing at 10AM and all I can see out of my window is high rises all the way to the horizon, in every direction.

TCar

I have been considering a boat. 40 or so feet, something i could sail to warmer climates to in winter.

The trick is, a slip in a marina can be pricey.
Sounds like fun.
Check out the Breeze books by Ed Robinson. Start with Trawler Trash. Really good books, got them on Kindle for cheap.

UberBeemer

I live on a boat. Have done since local rents reached the price of $insane/month.
San Fran has been expensive since i can remember. In the '80's my sis was paying $1200 for a tiny studio there.

I came pretty close in 2014, got a huge bonus that year. There are a couple of year-round marinas in Chicago, with aerators that keep the water around your hull from freezing. But, boats aren't generally well insulated.

mbd

I picked up a human with out a roof ... he lived near the lake ( maybe in the park) He had 3 fishing rods and ate fish everyday. Looked 100% healthy. He probably eats 500$ worth of fish per month😉

Buck-a-mile

Damn where can we get those 25k houses... it's insane around here up in big Canadian cities... I had to go to Niagra Falls to be able to afford a home. Got one there for 1/3rd of what I would have paid in the GTA
Riverside...... Lancaster...... Brawley.
It's the really stinko places that are cheap.

Juggalo9er

ok so here it is from the horses mouth. i was born and raised in a very nice area in the hollywood hills. why do people want to live in california,specifically expensive areas like LA,SF,SD? because for one thing people follow the money and the potential pay off for hitting it big. unfortunetly for most it will never happen but they still try and isint that what life is all about? pursuing your dreams and reaching goals that most will never even try. yes it is crowded and yes its expensive.there is a world of difference between living in pigsknuckle arkansas and being at the forefront of business by living primarily on either coast. the goals are different the attitude is different the pace is different..etc. i wouldent characterize it as bad or good,it may just not be your style is all. another thing that i think some people arent thinking about is that uber pays 2.10 a mile in sf,if you are dilligent and work your ass off,you could stack at least 100,000k a year at those rates,you also have the ability to work the entire state which opens up a lot more opportunitys. for myself i would never choose to live in my car,but then again who knows what tomorrow brings,its not like im sitting here with a trust fund doing this for shits and giggles,if i did have a trust fund ,I would never be driving for uber. so in summation,dont judge a book by its cover,just set your own goals,look forward to achieving them and try and be a bit less myopic in your view of things,you just might open your mind to a whole other world of possibilities, :smiles:
I'll keep my coast
Screenshot_20201125-235517_Maps.jpg

Eco-Charles

I use to pay $2500 a year to have my boat in the water all year long, free showers but metering elec. It was wonderful except in the winter, even with two space heaters (1500 watts each) it was hard at times to keep it warm. Cold air and wind sucks the heat right thru 1/4 fiberglass.

UberBeemer

I use to pay $2500 a year to have my boat in the water all year long, free showers but metering elec. It was wonderful except in the winter, even with two space heaters (1500 watts each) it was hard at times to keep it warm. Cold air and wind sucks the heat right thru 1/4 fiberglass.
Most people doing this in chicago use a shrink wrap above the waterline with a zippered flap for access. And, yeah, you need a heat source in the bilge, which is tricky due to water and vapors.