1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Litigation against Uber and Lyft (Class Action Lawsuit)

Discussion in 'Advice' started by MyOwnUber, Sep 6, 2018.

1. I heard today a radio advertisement detailing a class action suit. I phoned 800-214-9179 and the person who answered provided me the website kellerlenkner.com. Apparently, currently active Uber and Lyft drivers nationwide are entitled to some funds with a settlement reached by both. I no longer drive for either so I don't qualify. I would like to share this (hopefully useful info and get some feedback).

2. JimKE

JimKE

One of the great things about the Internet is that it eliminated the necessity for marginally-skilled lawyers to chase ambulances. Now they can just get an 800 number and a website, and somebody will bite.

Rakos and Bluto1899 like this.
  3. Does it hurt to try?

4. coupon for free water and mints

uberinatltrafficsux likes this.
  5. Daisey77

Daisey77

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    They did recently settle on one of The Upfront pricing class actions I believe. The problem with these lawsuits is, the number one qualification is you had to opt out of arbitration. So there's only 4500-4600 drivers Nationwide that did so and are able to participate.

Rakos likes this.
  6. You can sign up but the most you'll end up with $20, or something like that. The lawyers get the bulk, then they divide whats left of the "settlement" amongst the class, leaving you with little.

7. Who is John Galt?

Who is John Galt? Author

Driving:
    UberX

Denny Crane! Denny Crane! Denny Crane!

Marco Solo and SuzeCB like this.
  8. UberBastid

UberBastid

I joined in one of the very first class actions against Uber, been so long ago I forgot.
    I got a check about two weeks ago ... for $3.72
    not even enough for a six pack.

The lawyers get rich. Not the plaintiffs.

Bluto1899 likes this.
  9. Daisey77

Daisey77

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    I think this last settlement they said was equivalent to everyone getting $75 but wait for it... That's BEFORE the lawyers get their cut:rolleyes:

10. -----

I do not believe it matters that you are not currently driving. Class action is defending many. You have to be one of the many and listed on the court paperwork. It usually covers a time frame. You have to explore the attorneys website to get any information. I would call and talk to someone in the office and see if you qualify to be added to the list of drivers in the law suit.

11. Daisey77

Daisey77

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Some of them you're automatically added. You actually have to opt out if you don't want to participate. Some of them you do have to opt-in. I believe the ones you are automatically added to, you don't hear anything necessarily but the ones you have to opt into, both Uber and the attorneys or. courts have to contact you

12. DRIVER-99

DRIVER-99

Driving:
    UberX
    Please see the attached check I received from the settlement. it speaks for itself...
    You are absolutely correct. please see the attached check I received from this settlement...

Attached Files:

SEAL Team 5 likes this.
  13. HotUberMess

HotUberMess

A class action suit isn’t about getting rich, it’s about forcing a company to change their policy, sheesh.

Marco Solo and Mista T like this.
  14. -------

LOL !!! Don't spend it all in one place !!

15. SEAL Team 5

SEAL Team 5

Driving:
    Livery
    Don't forget to claim that as revenue on your '18 tax filings.

16. UberBeemer

UberBeemer Moderator

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    They probably paid more for postage and printing that check.

New2This and Daisey77 like this.
  17. You guys think it is not worth it to sign up for a class action ??

I was involved in a class action lawsuit --- got $2,664.00 Attorneys took 40%, plus filing fees. I got $1,487.00 Not a bad days work for just putting my name on a piece of paper.
    It is worth getting involved.

HotUberMess likes this.
  18. Yes, but the minimal fines don't force them to change behavior. They only make money for lawyers.

19. HotUberMess

HotUberMess

If the lawyers made a lot of money, the defendant paid a lot of money.

I’m not sure how the money is awarded but I bet more plaintiffs also equals a higher fine.

20. UberBastid

UberBastid

No - it equals higher fees for the lawyers.
    They get a commission -- just like a car salesman.
    The more they screw the customer (um, client) the more money they get.