1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Lion City Rentals

Discussion in 'Singapore' started by Anesh, May 20, 2015.

1. Observingonly

Observingonly Well-Known Member

You talk as if you have a stake in Uber or LCR.

We taxi drivers don't care about how the taxi companies are doing. We only care about our pockets. I for one have driven taxis from Comfort, CityCab, Transcb, Premier, SMRT and SMART. I never like these companies, their staff, their system, and I hate CDG the most. Like most of the experienced taxi drivers, I will be happier if there are less taxis on the road.

PH drivers like you hope to see taxis die. But let me tell you this will not happen. Just quote me examples anywhere in the world this has happened because of Uber or set a time line you think this will happen in Singapore and we shall wait to see whether you are right.

I can bet with you to my last cent that even till the day LCR closes shop, CDG will still be around.

Ubercheaposcum likes this.
  2. Ubercheaposcum

Ubercheaposcum Well-Known Member

Driving:
    Taxi
    This is conducted every 3 years by CDG. To export the used taxis.They make more instead of scrapping them. It used to be once every 3 years but now could be once every year due to the high number of idling taxis,I don't know.

Government loves you guys to bits.Make sure every one of you vote for the Indian lady come September and tick the box with the lightning insignia for every subsequent election.

Observingonly likes this.
  3. Ultracraft

Ultracraft Well-Known Member

Are you referring to Mod RenYeo? If affirmative, I believe you have jumped the gun. Mod Renyeo was merely posting what he came across for awareness. And, what he has commented additionally was in his personal capacity and it is for sure a representation of his own perspective. Don't forget that he has also posted something about Uber rental unit in USA in the process of shutting down as reported by WSJ. Based on my point of view, he is a neutral party lah (or at least try to be one). :)

4. Rasbora

Rasbora Member

No one is neutral inside here, everyone has a preference.
    Bro Ren hope you are not offended.
    Me like to drives UG but i feel they are not good or fair companies,.. really BAD business ethics..

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
    Ubercheaposcum and Observingonly like this.
  5. Observingonly

Commenting in personal capacity is not representation of one's perspective but neutral? Perhaps you can defend him using better perspectives than this.

Uber Rental in the US was reported to be shutting down, not scrapping old cars for fleet renewal like CDG. I will clap for LCR if they can keep their cars forever.

6. renyeo

renyeo Moderator Moderator

Driving:
    UberX
    First the nurse, another one a pre-school supervisor.

:)

IMG_4032.JPG

IMG_4033.JPG The hit is real even for limo taxi drivers. Madam Chee can attest to this. But a regular clientele helps however Sentosa Cove tai-tais are beginning to warm up to Uber/Grab now.

:(

What we didn't know from the tender notice is the age of taxis that are put up for lelong. Obviously the government is leaving everything to free market forces even as taxi companies are readjusting to the new reality landscape.

:rolleyes:

I'm a nobody and no one needs to take what I write here seriously whether there is neutrality or not but the government's mouthpiece is the official stance and this is why objective reporting in the national press is revered by many Singaporeans. WSJ can surely learn a thing or two about press ethics from SPH.

:eek:

IMG_4034.JPG

(All images: Sunday Times, August 13)

7. Observingonly

Of course it is convenient and CHEAP because there are 42,000 cars to provide the services. Kpkb but chiong for the pings seconds after.

Limo cab is not for everybody. Rental is $170/day.

As for the age of the taxis for scrap, since you don't know, please assume that they are less than one year old.

Happy doing the cheap jobs!

8. Ubercheaposcum

Driving:
    Taxi
    Speaking of Sentosa jobs,I received a booking in the CBD on Friday night.No destination displayed on my MDT and proceeded to pick up.Was a lady and when she hopped on,told me destination is Sentosa cove.I was partly shocked as it was quite sometime since I dropped a passenger there. The fare came up to be around $24 plus. She gave me a $50 and patiently waited for her change of even the coins.I used to receive tips whenever I drove into Sentosa.Even the domestic workers would tip me!

Now thanks to PH,these truly rich has become the cheapos. The funny thing is after dropping her,had another booking from W hotel to Holland close.It was a local couple staying in a HDB flat and they tipped me $5.

Everyone is jumping on the bandwagon.But with the ever increasing number of PH cars on the roads. You guys don't realize that your pings are getting lesser or more?

Fares going higher or lower?More jams affecting your number of trips or smoother roads?

9. Observingonly

I prefer the Ang Mo. The working class Ang mo don't tip much but the rich ones enjoy tipping.

Rich people or people who act rich but don't tip will get my unspoken signals that they should tip the next time round.

Ubercheaposcum likes this.
  10. Ubercheaposcum

Driving:
    Taxi
    Yes,the best ang mos are the airport ones.They pay with credit card plus tips in cash.

11. renyeo

Driving:
    UberX
    Both of you exhibit such exceptional positivity in the face of realities and is commendable to the extent one may start wondering if an organization actually plant two of you here as taxi propoganda operatives to undermine private hire drivers' morales.

Guys, what do you think needs to be done to better moderate the participation of members who do not prove to be providing constructive criticisms that are conducive to advancement of your work in the private hire trade?

pinocchio likes this.
  12. Ultracraft

I think the limo cabbies have to face the reality that earning $200++ within 3 hours of driving is almost inpossible these days with the stiff competition from PHC. Cabbies have to change their perspective, accept the reality and perhaps do things more innovatively instead of kpkb and begging/lobbying the authority for more help. The marketforce in all industries are very dynamic, taxi industry is of no exception in this case. That is why the industry leaders continue to change their strategies and restructure their companies to keep pace with technologies and market trends.

As for Sentosa, I think most residents there would take PHC if given a choice but there are still not enough PHC supporting the residents there almost everyday. So the residents have no choice but to accept whatever available be it taxi, limo or PHC. That was what one German family told me last evening. They are residing in Cove Drive. That is why Sentosa surged like hell in the evening of last Fri and Sat. And, the trend is as such that it surges almost every Fri and Sat evening. Sometime Wed and thurs too. This is what I noticed. I am not sure if it surges in the morning peak hours.

13. UnG

UnG Well-Known Member

seldom hv surge during morning peaks... kana many times/pings after dropping riders at MBFC while heading to the east... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

14. Observingonly

Limo cabs are not for everyone because of the high rental and only a slightly higher meter rate.

Drivers who hop between taxis and PH will know the the truth. I met one this morning who left taxi to drive Uber 2 months ago and now returned to the same taxi company. He was taken as a 'newbie' and offered rental of $68 for 6 months (omo only) and first 2 weeks of free rental. Now he drives only 8 hours a day.

It's only fair that you get surges at Sentosa Cove to compensate you the cost and time of driving in. They are likely to go to Vivo or CBD in the morning or Orchard during some other time. Nothing good about it. I wouldn't envy you. Taxi drivers will prefer to queue at RWS where they get $3 location charge regardless of the time. But I usually dont do that too. I have a regular at W Residence who rides his big bike to the CBD for work. But on the days he doesn't ride, he will book me. I charge him $60 (this is how limo cab survive btw).

Just to add : Why booking fees and location charges are important to the taxi drivers is because the cost and time of driving for 15 minutes is $3.00. Take a taxi and look at the meter jump and take the timing you will understand what I mean. View it this way : taxi drivers' 15 minutes is worth $3 or $1 for 5 minute. Only PH will accept bookings without booking fees. It's practically 'free service' for a 15 minutes drive.

15. Ubercheaposcum

Driving:
    Taxi
    Renyeo,

I don't know what happened to you between you and taxi drivers on the roads recently but I can say that since day 1,I have never had any animosity towards PH drivers as you all cater towards a different clientele to mine.But I can't say for all TDs how they behave towards PH.

I believe PH can learn something from the posts here by taxi drivers whether it's informative or not.

I was here in the beginning because I wanted to see whether it's viable to do PH with owned cars based on the crazy prices of a car in Singapore and I've had my answer.

There is an impact definitely on us,not going to lie but it's minimal.The queues have gone longer as in 10-15 minutes longer whether it's at hotels or the airport and that's it.Same number of flag downs and a dip of about 2 call bookings a day.(Call bookings don't guarantee me to earn more but it's to compensate me for the time taken to drive to them) So no big deal from the call bookings.

I'm not here to put down the PH industry as it's a mutation out of the taxi trade.PH are doing the jobs that TDs won't do such as to destinations that are about 2 bus stops away or within walking distance.

If you think that I've not contributed anything useful to this forum,by all means ban me.Don't cloud your judgment based on a nasty incident you had on the roads with a taxi driver to all TDs here in this forum.

I've said before that I've been blocked off several times by PH and I've always shrugged it off believing it could be one of you here in this forum.This is by being impartial.

Everyone has a choice of whether to become a TD or PH. We are just giving our inputs on how shortchanged you all are in providing a transport service to these cheapos.It is called fairy tale fares albeit created by rider friendly companies by exploiting their drivers.

So do what you think is right for the forum since you are the moderator.Ban me if you think I'm only here to put down PH but don't forget,at the end of the day,all of you still need a retired TD to pass your license in order to earn a living on the roads.

16. Ultracraft

Posts from Extremist like Lang Zai/sign up/myniecesay (any more clone??) need to be appropriately moderated. This troll tends to create unnecessary ripple in an otherwise calm and serene water.

17. renyeo

Driving:
    UberX
    Your suggestion has been noted.

:)

Ultracraft likes this.
  18. Breadtaken

Breadtaken Member

I can't see any problem with this ad, you probably not working in procurement before. Small company usually needs 3 quotation from 3 different supplier, gov.sg and public listed will go thru tender which will publish on news paper, don't be too excited.

As far as I know, this batch is 7-yr scrap taxis need to export out from SG. :)
    I am ready to buy C52 tomorrow when the price dropped to $2.2.

19. Ultracraft

I heard many in the morning take the free private bus ride to the nearest MRT station.

20. Driver2479

Driver2479 New Member

It is often easy enough for ownself to criticise others while overlooking own faults. I do not exactly know what a mod should be doing in a forum like this but I suppose you should take a stand of neutrality rather than commenting on topics.

As a point of note, I think you guys here are "enjoying" when you saw news that PH population is ever increasing and dwarfing this of taxi population and taxi trade(be it taxi companies or taxi drivers) suffering as a result. I wonder how does these new excite you guys who are either a Uber driver or a mod in a Uber forum.

Gloating over the decrease of taxis on the road and rejoicing over the increase of PH? Haa. Think harder you will get my point. To drive for Uber or grab full time without substantial incentives is really doing charity work. This fact I suppose most people will agree with.

I will like to second with those taxi drivers in this forum who mentioned that even with Uber and grab, earnings are not affected much and even for some, income got better still. I am indeed earning more in my monthly average.

Being a PHD is really just a taxi driver 2.0 . No matter how you look at it. Cheers!!