1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Link with Uber/Lyft specific tax information for 2016

Discussion in 'Taxes' started by disp350, Jan 5, 2017.

1. disp350

disp350 Well-Known Member

2. mghtyred

mghtyred Well-Known Member

It's largely accurate. However, tolls are not deductible as FUBER reimburses you for those.

3. Mielle

Mielle New Member

so are you able to deduct #1, #2 and #3 all at the same time??

4. UberTaxPro

UberTaxPro Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    No!

5. disp350

disp350 Well-Known Member

Yes, 100% correct. Although if you have to deadhead back from a NYC dropoff like I do since we cant pick up there, if I cant get them to reimburse me, then you can deduct them (sometimes they will reimburse).

6. Sagamore

Sagamore Active Member

Anybody know when UBER will have our 1099 prepared? When do they usually send them. I've checked for electronic delivery but nothing official has been sent

7. UberTaxPro

UberTaxPro Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    By law they have to send them by Feb 1, but they usually send them out sooner.

8. Sagamore

Sagamore Active Member

Thank you Uber Tax Pro

9. Geno71

Geno71 Well-Known Member

Not bad, so I understand that the Standard Mileage and Actual Expenses are your two main options, we use one or the other, not both, but what about Common Operating Expenses? Is it part of Actual Expenses and can be used instead of Mileage or can those be used with Standard Mileage?

10. circle1

circle1 Well-Known Member

They forgot to include the fees Uber charges us. That's a business expense! (of course one has to do all the business paperwork and pay taxes to the state in order to claim all that.)

Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
  11. Frontier Guy

Frontier Guy Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    #10 can get you audited by the IRS, you can only deduct the percentage of your cell phone bill that is directly related to Uber/Lyft. If you used 800 total minutes in a month, but only 100 of them for Uber/Lyft, you can deduct 8% of that month's bill. In an audit, the IRS will make you go line by line high lighting the calls which are Uber/Lyft specific, if you don't know the numbers, you're SOL, they will disallow it. I just went through this with the IRS>

12. El Gato

El Gato Active Member

Driving:
    UberX
    I'm deducting a portion of my cell phone based on % use of mileage. Based on my total mileage and tracking I used my 30% of the total miles on my car for my independent business use. I used my cell phone exclusively during those miles whether it be text, phone or data usage.

13. Frontier Guy

Driving:
    UberX
    Nope, doesn't work that way. In an audit, you will need to provide an itemized copy of your cell phone bill for the year in question, the IRS will make you highlight the phone numbers that are specific to your business, they may call up to 50% of those numbers to verify. I'm a regional truck driver, when I went through my audit, I provided them with full cell records, highlighting all business calls. I know for a fact, the IRS verified 37 calls (they were all to the same customers, so that made it easy) they also matched the calls to my log books to confirm I was actually doing that run. I was claiming actual minutes for those calls, the IRS rejected this method, and recalculated the total number of calls as a percentage of all calls for the year, then taking that same percentage, as a percentage of the total amount I paid in cell charges.

14. crimson.snwbnny

crimson.snwbnny Active Member

i dont talk much on my phone. does that mean that in a month if lets say i used 80 min and 50 of those were with uber/lyft does that mean 40% of my monthly bill can be deducted?

15. circle1

I'm getting a phone exclusively for business use. That should end that concern.

16. Frontier Guy

Driving:
    UberX
    Based on your numbers, you would be able to deduct about 70% of your bill, as long as you can prove the calls were Uber/Lyft with an itemized bill showing all the numbers

Nope, still doesn't make it 100% deductible. I can guarantee you, the IRS would still reduce the amount allowed in an audit, I would not deduct more than 75% of an item like that, a tax professional might tell you otherwise, make sure they will defend you in an audit.

17. Geno71

Geno71 Well-Known Member

Does the amount saved by claiming phone usage worth the hustle anyway?

18. circle1

Huh?? If the only thing I use that phone for is business, how can the IRS say no to 100%?

19. UberATLDriver

UberATLDriver Member

Is the standard mileage deduction rate that we file this time around 54 cents or 53.5 cents per mile? My recording app is telling me 53.5 but on the irs website it is 54 cents in 2016 so probably 54 right?

20. Older Chauffeur

Older Chauffeur Well-Known Member

It's $0.54 for 2016. The new rate starting January 1, 2017 is $0.535.