1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

License plate should not be given to pax until driver arrives

Discussion in 'Complaints' started by nickd8775, Mar 13, 2018.

1. nickd8775

nickd8775

Driving:
    UberX
    There's really no reason for the passengers to know the license plate number of the car that's coming until it actually arrives. Most people don't even look at the plate anyway. Upon arrival, it should only give out the 3 digits of the plate because that should be enough to positively identify the car.
    Someone could build a list of license plate numbers of cars doing Uber and use it against them for insurance purposes. Also, someone could run the plates on a number of websites and find out where a driver lives.

BLBorgia, Uber Crack, jgiun1 and 2 others like this.
  2. who cares if they have the plate number?
    Everyone out on the roads can see it. Why not your pax?

RockinEZ, Bkeddie, DuhSavage and 5 others like this.
  3. Pawtism

Pawtism Moderator

While I don't agree with the political bias in this article (it's the ACLU, they tend to lean to one side), this might help you to understand whats really going on out there (and how minor a thing, in the grand scheme of things, a pax seeing your license plate is). Personally I support these cameras, they catch a lot of stolen vehicles, can be used as evidence for crime scenes, etc.

https://www.aclu.org/issues/privacy-technology/location-tracking/you-are-being-tracked

jgiun1 likes this.
  4. nickd8775

nickd8775

Driving:
    UberX
    So what if everyone on the road could see it, you're not interacting with them directly. However a pissed off passenger could track you down well after the ride. And an insurance company fishing for drivers could look up the plates and cancel the trip

5. melusine3

melusine3

Driving:
    Lyft
    Absolutely. If Uber truly cared about our safety, but we know that isn't even on the radar.

Well... the jackass who punched a dent in my car's rear right panel because I wouldn't let him and his two sniveling monsters with their Slushee cups in my car...

BLBorgia and jgiun1 like this.
  6. Bpr2

Bpr2

Driving:
    UberX
    Before the ride I agree with, but having it stay in the pax app AND e-mail after the fact? No

dirtylee, unPat and jgiun1 like this.
  7. melusine3

melusine3

Driving:
    Lyft
    They can still screen-shot it. They only need 3 digits, not the entire plate.

Uber Crack, unPat and jgiun1 like this.
  8. Erika G.

Erika G.

Driving:
    UberX
    Outside of law enforcement it wouldn’t be free.

And let’s face it, Uber and Lyft pax aren’t going to waste money on that when they can’t even manage to tip.

jgiun1 likes this.
  9. melusine3

melusine3

Driving:
    Lyft
    The jackass who punched my car lives within a mile of me and I don't need ANY easily identifiable numbering to enable him to further bother my life. Some people are plain vindictive and violent because that's the only way they know to deal with life.

BLBorgia, Uber Crack and jgiun1 like this.
  10. Erika G.

Erika G.

Driving:
    UberX
    And what’s stopping someone from taking a pic of the plate before or after they take the ride or don’t take the ride in this case?

11. jlong105

jlong105

Driving:
    UberX
    Nothing is stopping him, but he is unlikely to. However when he receives the receipt for the damage deposit and it has the license plate number, he may be pissed enough to pay a visit.

BLBorgia and Uber Crack like this.
  12. Pawtism

Pawtism Moderator

Must be one of those Shirlington Shufflers. :p

13. As a uber driver myself, we went thru a stage in our collective union to capture other uber drivers plates to report to The authority, for operating illegally, Uber was hiring drivers that were not allowed to operate, costing us lost earnings, and told those illegal drivers if you get caught we will pay your fines, Uber ended up paying $100,000 in fines, 350cars got taken off the road, some drivers were not medically fit to drive, some had convictions, there was a up surge of car accidents, drivers falling asleep crashing,

, we would request an Uber, screenshot details then cancel, if we spotted an Uber, photo taken, regulation is a good thing, our govt did a crackdown,
    Uber were forced to comply or be shut down, now all the illlegal dodgy drivers drive for ubereats, since they can’t pass their background checks,

One thing we do have is nooone can get a drivers address using our number plate if you submit an application to the transport agency, to protect yourself,

A bit off topic sorry, yes riders do not need your plate number, at first but it’s good if it’s the regulation company doing checks to make sure your legit

unPat and jgiun1 like this.
  14. ROFLMAO, the chances of you fighting this is slim to none, & slim is headed to Nashville for a heart transplant, & word is slim ain't gonna make it, welcome to ubering,jmo

15. Pawtism

Pawtism Moderator

I totally want to get one, just because, how cool would that be to show people. I mean I probably wouldn't actually use it for anything other than to show it off. :D

16. Pawtism

Pawtism Moderator

Love it! :D

UberBeamer likes this.
  17. Cdub2k

Cdub2k

A guy you cut off in traffic can get your plate number too and track you down and shoot you in the face when nobody is around to see the crime. What say you?

Pawtism and UberBeamer like this.
  18. RockinEZ

RockinEZ

Driving:
    UberX
    On the West Coast this info is not available to civilians.
    There is no way for a PAX to trace a CA driver by his license plate unless he knows a cop that is willing to risk his job to get that info.

melusine3 and SuzeCB like this.
  19. I believe there are benefits to pax having my plate before i arrive.

1. If the ride is for someone else, they can fwd that info, thus helping the person be toes on the kerb instead of waiting for info after i arrive.

2. Occasionally pax is in wrong place, and has come to my car before i drove away to try to find them. GPS can suck, pax may be right there but Uber says I have 3-5 min to drive to them.

melusine3 likes this.
  20. melusine3

melusine3

Driving:
    Lyft
    All they need are the last 4 digits.