1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Liberty Mutual, my sign up experience.

Discussion in 'Insurance' started by Wolfie52, Mar 12, 2018 at 5:12 PM.

1. Wolfie52

Wolfie52 New Member

As a NC resident there are few to no Insurance options specifically for RS. From this forum I understood LM was one Insurance company who wouldn't drop you or care if you did RS. I went online and got a quote for the car I plan to use for RS. I specifically said I was using for "business purposes". They called and said they can give me a better rate...so I mentioned to the agent that I am separating this vehicle from 2 others (insured by GEICO) and most of the use will be RS 2-3 days a week (I plan to give this car to my son when he is fully licensed in 8 mos). He stated as far as he knew that using it for RS wasn't allowed, but put me on hold and said "let me check on that".

3 minutes later he came back and said that using it that way wasn't a problem, finished up with a decent Quote of about 67$/mo full coverage.

The main point is. that I was totally upfront about how I said I would use the vehicle, both with filling out the app and in-person. I am of the age and financial status that I just don't need problems.

Until Geico gets a decent RS add on in NC I want to be sure my insurance isn't in jeopardy.
  2. dmcgeary1965

dmcgeary1965 New Member

Albany, NY
    My experience here in NY with Liberty Mutual is pretty much the same. My agent knows exactly how I'll be using my car and they are fine with it. His main suggestion was that I park until I get a ping and then after passenger is dropped off, shut off app and park again before turning it back on in order to minimize risk during Phase I.

Geico can go scratch.
  3. BigJohn

BigJohn Active Member

Los Angelese
    Just be sure to carefully and fully read the actual policy to make sure it does not say different that what the agent told you.

IF what your experience is true, that would be very good news. However, please read the policy.
    SEAL Team 5 likes this.
  4. SEAL Team 5

SEAL Team 5 Well-Known Member

You are exactly correct. Make sure that 22 page policy and Underwriting rules doesn't have a phrase that states "Not for commercial use". I'd be a little hesitant with that agent's answer since he did have to go ask.

I've been in this business for 18 years and I've never been aware of any personal policy allowing commercial use, especially the transportation of people.
  5. Taxi tony

Taxi tony Active Member

Rochester new york
    The New York state law clearly states that any vehicle transporting people must carry a for-hire insurance policy. The only exception are buses and ambulance. This is a New York state law. Also no personal insurance policy covers commercial use of your vehicle. People tend to want to believe everything that uber tells them. You have to remember that you are a subcontractor. You are not a employee. It is your responsibility to know what type of insurance coverage you need to operate your business. Drivers are having claims denied, and insurance policies cancelled. And if you don't know what happens when you try and get insurance with a cancellation on your record you are in for a big surprise. The only people that will insure you are the ones that accept high risk drivers. Which will be your new title when they find out. Everybody is going to have their own opinion to this information. Do a little research, make a few phone calls, and find out for yourself.