• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

LETS UNIONIZE!! ORGANIZE and LEVEL the playing field!!

I_Like_Spam

Can the union fight for a cap on new drivers?
Sure, they could, theoretically.

But I wouldn't see that as a very likely scenario. Unions make their living off of dues and initiation fees paid by members. And the more new members on the rolls, they better it is for them.

GTADriver

Sure, they could, theoretically.

But I wouldn't see that as a very likely scenario. Unions make their living off of dues and initiation fees paid by members. And the more new members on the rolls, they better it is for them.
Actually my point was that that's a request some drivers don't want. So how can be join together when some don't give a hoot about making money

Oscar Levant

Okay, LIFT/UBER Drivers, we all already know we are being robbed by those 2 crooked companies. We also know we cannot fight if we are not united. So, this is what I propose: Let's organize a LIFT/UBER UNION made of all DRIVERS!!
It is not hard to do. Let's create a list of petitioners, then let's organize an online meeting and get this thing started.
REMEMBER: THERE IS NO RIDE WITHOUT THE DRIVER and HIS/HER CAR.
Start the debate and let's get going!!!

In my state, if I get a TCP license (limo/charter license), I understand that Uber will give me 80% of the safe rider fee. That would add another $150 a week ( I'm calculating, though I could be wrong ) to the take, that would make it worth it.

How are you going to unionize a work force that is 1099?
Post automatically merged:

Free market when they control the rates? What's so free about that?

No, by "free market" he means "free to exploit".
Post automatically merged:

Maybe, or maybe not. That chapter hasn't been written yet

Of course they would, but if the rate was increased such that you would wind up with more money, then it's a good thing.
But, forcing Uber to raise the rate will result in losing customers. If your market is already saturated with drivers, you'll wind up losing money. Unionizing, in my view, would only make sense in a big city, like L.A. Seattle, etc

jcarrolld

Okay, LIFT/UBER Drivers, we all already know we are being robbed by those 2 crooked companies. We also know we cannot fight if we are not united. So, this is what I propose: Let's organize a LIFT/UBER UNION made of all DRIVERS!!
It is not hard to do. Let's create a list of petitioners, then let's organize an online meeting and get this thing started.
REMEMBER: THERE IS NO RIDE WITHOUT THE DRIVER and HIS/HER CAR.
Start the debate and let's get going!!!

wallae

Well, I just took my second ride with a nice girl on the edge of the ghetto. 2 dollar ride. She works at dominos so she knows what a tip is. She got a 3 and I will never see her again. That's a strike.
I took the next ride with a nice girl on the edge of the ghetto. 2 dollar ride and 1 dollar tip. She got a 5

MiamiKid

Well, I just took my second ride with a nice girl on the edge of the ghetto. 2 dollar ride. She works at dominos so she knows what a tip is. She got a 3 and I will never see her again. That's a strike.
I took the next ride with a nice girl on the edge of the ghetto. 2 dollar ride and 1 dollar tip. She got a 5
Have, simply, stopped picking up in those areas. Tips have improved significantly.

goneubering

Found this on Reddit. Interesting read and makes a big point:
"First let me say that I'm not a driver. I'm an asset manager at a large institution. Early last year a client requested to analyze Uber and Lyft and I was assigned the project. After months of analysis, including interviews with countless drivers, I submitted my report last month. Basically neither uber nor lyft can ever be profitable under their existing business plan. Both companies know it, but don't care. Just as investors don't care about profitability either. For now the only thing that matters is growth. Nevertheless, my report included a formula whereby by changing their businesses structure, both companies could be limitless profitable. But that's not what they want now. A change in their structure would provide Lyft, under their current production of 1 million rides per day with 1.4 million drivers, with net income of $1.9 billion. That's after compensation to drivers, cost of insurance, and marketing /promotions. Uber, with 15 million rides per day with 2 million drivers, low end net income of $21 Billion. Also after paying drivers, insurance cost, and marketing promos. The business plan provides drivers with almost triple their current earnings without any significant increase in fares to riders. Whichever company is first to implement the changes will make drivers adherent to it's platform and eliminate the need for bonuses to constantly recruit new ones. Either they don't care or are just clueless for not realizing what they need to do. However, both Uber and Lyft got to where they are because of drivers. Without drivers neither company can operate for now. When uber and lyft reach their goal of replacing drivers with autonomous vehicles, they won't need drivers. So drivers are the ones feeding the dragon who will ultimately burn them. Only the drivers can change the outcome. If you don't unite and force uber and lyft to change course and adopt a business plan such as the one I reported to our client, in few years none of you will be driving. Keep in mind that this forum, just as any other way you interact is infiltrated by corporate directed trolls. They will do whatever necessary to distract and disrupt drivers from uniting. So for your own sake unite and disrupt the current path of Uber and Lyft before it is too late. It's up to you."
You found it on Reddit??!! Indeed. :wink:

It’s fascinating how you “found” a post on Reddit but now you claim you created the system.

And now you claim Uber would have even higher profits. $21 billion in this post up to $24 billion in your other posts and finally you said $26 billion most recently. It’s all a fantasy.

I’m glad UP doesn’t allow you to delete your old posts. Busted.

Llib07

Without going into any of the related political, economic, legal, etc, debates surrounding the issue of unions, IMHO a union can only achieve its goals when there is some kind of unity and common goal between the workers. In the case of ridesharing, drivers come from so many different communities, demographics, classes, etc, and have so many different individual aims and goals, that I don't think it would realistically work. Maybe it could work on a local scale in some particular regions, but I don't think it would work nationally.
It won’t even work in the regions I can give you first hand info it won’t work.

Judgeetox

I say it all over and I’ll say it here too.
Do you want to strike? Ok, the first step is to read their contract/agreement/terms of use..etc

Where it says “agree” or “do not agree”, make sure you tap “Do not Agree”. There. You’re on strike now. That’s really how it works in any workplace, union or not. Simple. Can’t go on strike if you already agreed to the terms. Then you’d just look foolish.

Drivers in unison not accepting the contract as written OR changed (Remember, you have to AGREE to their rate cuts when they change the terms of pay), would force Uber to change the terms very quickly.

Last edited:

Kevin.G

Unions and strikes.... yes they do work, this is extremely well documented from the formation of the very first union in North America being "The Canadian Labor Union" in 1873 and "The Federation of Organized Trades and Labor Unions" (USA) in 1881 and all unions up to the current day.

Yes we can Unionize and no it's not impossible.... I would be interested in reading a proposal, and I am sure there are many others that would agree to reading the same.... I will also venture that the number of interested parties also outweighs those that choose to ignore the well documented benefits of being organized.

...haters will hate...

Judgeetox

Unions and strikes.... yes they do work, this is extremely well documented from the formation of the very first union in North America being "The Canadian Labor Union" in 1873 and "The Federation of Organized Trades and Labor Unions" (USA) in 1881 and all unions up to the current day.

Yes we can Unionize and no it's not impossible.... I would be interested in reading a proposal, and I am sure there are many others that would agree to reading the same.... I will also venture that the number of interested parties also outweighs those that choose to ignore the well documented benefits of being organized.

...haters will hate...
I know they work, I just feel the need to point out the first step in taking strike action is refusing to accept the ‘employers’ terms.

Ironically, I’m thinking the best way to take Uber on is for drivers organizations to call a truce with what’s left of the traditional taxi industry to take a untied stand against Uber and reshape the taxi industry into what was already pretty close to what Uber drivers are now demanding

Last edited: