Let's talk about my plan ...

Mond

I need to survive. As a recent graduate, I need to become financially independent. I don't have car and I can't afford one right now so, I'm thinking to move to city where Uber or Breeze can give me a car. I live in small town in TN. It has limited opportunities so I'm thinking to move to a bigger city and more opportunities.

My options so far are

Seattle
or
Boston
or
Atlanta
or
Denver

Let's talk ..

tohunt4me

I need to survive. As a recent graduate, I need to become financially independent. I don't have car and I can't afford one right now so, I'm thinking to move to city where Uber or Breeze can give me a car. I live in small town in TN. It has limited opportunities so I'm thinking to move to a bigger city and more opportunities.

My options so far are

Seattle
or
Boston
or
Atlanta
or
Denver

Let's talk ..
Your plan ?

Is it "EVIL"?
(see condensed microscopic pic #1,*evil)

Does it involve minions ?
(See microscopic condensed pic #2*minions)

( insert implied bad word here ) YES ,IM IN !

Attachments

SEAL Team 5

My options so far are

Seattle
or
Boston
or
Atlanta
or
Denver

Let's talk ..
A little off the subject, but what was your major?

Teksaz

Let me guess, you graduated with a Theater Arts Degree with tons of student loan debt. Lol

Only thing I can do now is drive for Goober. (Become financially Independent) Hahahahahaha

"Well at least I can ACT like I know what I'm doing". (Get It) Lol

SEAL Team 5

Let me guess, you graduated with a Theater Arts Degree with tons of student loan debt. Lol

Only thing I can do now is drive for Goober. (Become financially Independent) Hahahahahaha

At least I'm asking what he majored in before I start to bash him. Your post will go down as one of my all time favs.

Oscarthegrouch

I would try to find a job in your field of study and then maybe drive to supplement your income. I would never recommend Uber as a sole source of income. The only real perk to Uber is the flexibility to work whenever you want to or not.

If you do decide to drive, buy a reasonably priced used car or van. When driving Uberx or xl you get paid the same if you drive a car worth 5k or 50k. Keep your expenses as low as possible.

Squirming Like A Toad

Don't discount your local market right away. Big cities are full of riders, and full of drivers. With the cost of moving to, living in, and owning a car in those cities it might be a very long time before you are better off than where you are. They also tend to have higher Uber standards for cars so you will have to buy a more expensive one and that's a killer.

You can do some research before you spend a dime. Download both the passenger and driver apps, see how many cars there are in these areas and how busy they appear to be. Look for surge pricing appearing on the map showing up in your area.

Then try going for an Uber ride, talk to the driver, see what the service is like and how long it takes him to get there, ask him how business has been, and he'll be happy to give you his referral code if you are still considering driving.

OC Lady Uber Driver

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think one of the requirements is that you must be a driver who's has at least one year of recent experience behind the wheel before you can work for either uber or lyft. If you don't have a car now and can't afford one, that may be a barrier for you to even begin to launch your career in transportation before you land your dream job in your chosen field. You may need to amend your plan to be something like:
1) get a job
2) get a car
3) get a better job
4) only drive for uber or lyft as a back-up plan.

SEAL Team 5

Damn, it's been 2 1/2 hours since I've seen this and I still can't stop laughing.

Dammit Mazzacane

I can't speak to the other places, but Seattle's rent is expensive. Think in terms of $1,200/month for a one-bedroom in the city... The suburbs run about $800 to $1,000/month, but you'd have to drive into the city to get immediate pings versus sitting in your driveway/parking spot in Seattle itself and getting a ping.

The rent cost while only earning from driving TNC full-time could eat you alive. Adding a leased car would indeed eat you alive. Make a budget first, and study the markets.

One positive: No snow affecting winter driving under most cases, just lots of rain.
Boston and Denver bring snow and you'd have additional challenges and risks driving around a light-weight FWD vehicle constantly driving around.

My options so far are

Seattle
or
Boston
or
Atlanta
or
Denver

Let's talk ..

Dammit Mazzacane

Two-thirds of Uber drivers only do it part time, according to a recent Washington Post story on earnings.

Uber fulltime with an apartment lease in a metro city and a leased car can and maybe will sent you into a hole.

UberHammer

Past Sponsor
What the hell are they teaching kids in school? This is why Uber can exploit so many drivers so easily!

"Move to Detroit! The rates are so low there you'll make a TON of fares!" - Uber Chief Something Something

Tequila Jake

B.S. in Kinesiology - Exercise Science
That's a great degree with a lot of career options. However, the best options are in the independent contractor realm and you'll need to build up your clientele to make a living. Physical therapy, personal training, and sports coaching all fit into that category.

Since that's the case, you should choose a location where you want to live for a long time. Moving again would mean having to build up that clientele from scratch again.

My recommendation would be to choose where you want to live first and where your career options are the greatest. Don't select your city based on rideshare options. You are not going to become financially independent driving for Uber or Lyft but it can help supplement your income while building your client base in your chosen occupation.

Good luck!

Mond

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
barrier
That's a great degree with a lot of career options. However, the best options are in the independent contractor realm and you'll need to build up your clientele to make a living. Physical therapy, personal training, and sports coaching all fit into that category.

Since that's the case, you should choose a location where you want to live for a long time. Moving again would mean having to build up that clientele from scratch again.

My recommendation would be to choose where you want to live first and where your career options are the greatest. Don't select your city based on rideshare options. You are not going to become financially independent driving for Uber or Lyft but it can help supplement your income while building your client base in your chosen occupation.

Good luck!