Let's brainstorm a reasonable pay scale!

Chocoholic

We as drivers have been complaining bitterly about the rate changes/cuts by Uber and Lyft, especially since the change to 60 cents/mile. But have we seriously thought about an alternative that works for both sides? I think not. So, I propose this thread to come up with CONSTRUCTIVE ideas that will work for both sides.

Given that Uber's stated reason for the last change was that "it didn't have the intended consequences" of getting drivers to take more short hauls, what could work without hurting us so much, and at the same time, make short hauls just as desirable to drivers as long hauls? Or better still, make all trips equally attractive?

April 15th, tax day, gave me the core of an idea. I think that implementing a graduated scale for mileage might work. For this discussion, I am speaking only of UberX. Other classes should be scaled up appropriately.

The first mile should always pay a premium, say $5 for the first mile or fraction thereof, maybe $2.75 for the second mile or fraction, $1.50 per mile for miles 3 through 5 (actual distance), and $1/mile for all mileage starting at 5.00 miles. I'm thinking that this will make shorties more appealing, by making an hour with short trips likely pay over $20/hr, based on 3 shorties over 1 mile each, or the worst case, 4 shorties under a mile each.

Time can also be scaled similarly. But I'm thinking differently there. In exchange for higher mileage, time should be paid at a flat rate for time above the calculated time for a trip WITHOUT TRAFFIC OR OTHER DELAY. If the trip takes more time due to traffic, accident, or whatever, it should then pay $0.40 per minute extra. If it takes normal driving time (think no traffic driving at 4 am), or less, then no pay for time. I know this might not be popular, but to me, it seems like a reasonable compromise.

What do you think? Is this a workable concept? How would you adjust the numbers?
Do you have a better idea that helps us and yet helps Uber accomplish the goal of making all rides equally appealing?

OK, I've just thrown this out as an idea, just to get the concept out there. If you have feedback, another idea, an enhancement to this, please post.

BUT if you're just going to whine about how little we get paid, get some cheese to go with your whine, stuff your face, bite your tongue and don't say anything! I really want this to be a constructive discussion and see if we can come up with a good idea/solution rather than waiting for U/L to throw something we don't like at us again! ??

Let's be part of the solution and not just b*%#h about the problem!
:wink: :thumbup:

Fisfis

We as drivers have been complaining bitterly about the rate changes/cuts by Uber and Lyft, especially since the change to 60 cents/mile. But have we seriously thought about an alternative that works for both sides? I think not. So, I propose this thread to come up with CONSTRUCTIVE ideas that will work for both sides.

Given that Uber's stated reason for the last change was that "it didn't have the intended consequences" of getting drivers to take more short hauls, what could work without hurting us so much, and at the same time, make short hauls just as desirable to drivers as long hauls? Or better still, make all trips equally attractive?

April 15th, tax day, gave me the core of an idea. I think that implementing a graduated scale for mileage might work. For this discussion, I am speaking only of UberX. Other classes should be scaled up appropriately.

The first mile should always pay a premium, say $5 for the first mile or fraction thereof, maybe $2.75 for the second mile or fraction, $1.50 per mile for miles 3 through 5 (actual distance), and $1/mile for all mileage starting at 5.00 miles. I'm thinking that this will make shorties more appealing, by making an hour with short trips likely pay over $20/hr, based on 3 shorties over 1 mile each, or the worst case, 4 shorties under a mile each.

Time can also be scaled similarly. But I'm thinking differently there. In exchange for higher mileage, time should be paid at a flat rate for time above the calculated time for a trip WITHOUT TRAFFIC OR OTHER DELAY. If the trip takes more time due to traffic, accident, or whatever, it should then pay $0.40 per minute extra. If it takes normal driving time (think no traffic driving at 4 am), or less, then no pay for time. I know this might not be popular, but to me, it seems like a reasonable compromise.

What do you think? Is this a workable concept? How would you adjust the numbers?
Do you have a better idea that helps us and yet helps Uber accomplish the goal of making all rides equally appealing?

OK, I've just thrown this out as an idea, just to get the concept out there. If you have feedback, another idea, an enhancement to this, please post.

BUT if you're just going to whine about how little we get paid, get some cheese to go with your whine, stuff your face, bite your tongue and don't say anything! I really want this to be a constructive discussion and see if we can come up with a good idea/solution rather than waiting for U/L to throw something we don't like at us again! ??

Let's be part of the solution and not just b*%#h about the problem!
:wink: :thumbup:
The problem is nobody is asking for our opinion.

Sideslippy

Raise rates a few cents across everything minimum obviously but also think a keep higher option would be good.

Ie if Uber makes $80 and you don’t launghaul and get paid $40 then you get fare adjusted to be paid % of fare. I don’t understand why Uber must make 60%+ on min fares and even longer fares if drivers follow navigation blindly.

hulksmash

$6 minimum fare if ride is less than 5 minutes or less away, $1.20 a mile, .25c a minute. Any pickup 6-10 minutes gets and extra $2 added to the minimum fare. Keed adding an extra $2 for every 5 minute increment it takes to pick up. Pickup fee will be based on real-time traffic conditions. This will prevent purposely longhauling to increase the pickup fee, and will compensate appropriately for long pickup that go short distances.

Aerodrifting

I actually like your idea and I think it is reasonable. It makes short rides worthwhile and compensates for drivers sitting in rush hour traffic.
Uber is pretty much doing the samething right now in the form of consecutive ride bonus and weekly bonus, But Uber's method only benefits full time drivers and feels extremely manipulative.

Chocoholic

[email protected] and @UberLean If we do come up with something viable, they just might listen. Just yelling that they won't or that nobody asked us, well, that's exactly what I said.... would you like some cheese???? ???

Everyone else, interesting ideas so far. Let's keep it going. Opinions on these ideas? More ideas?

Remember, think about what works for us and for U/L. There has to be buyin on both sides or it goes nowhere.
Post automatically merged:

Raise rates a few cents across everything minimum obviously but also think a keep higher option would be good.

Ie if Uber makes $80 and you don’t launghaul and get paid $40 then you get fare adjusted to be paid % of fare. I don’t understand why Uber must make 60%+ on min fares and even longer fares if drivers follow navigation blindly.
OK, but can you refine it more? maybe give a clearer explanation and/or more concrete numbers? It seems rather nebulous, (almost sounds like a straight percentage) but that's ok. Next step is to refine it. How would this make all trips equally appealing? This appears to be a big problem for Uber - how to make them equally appealing to drivers.

$6 minimum fare if ride is less than 5 minutes or less away, $1.20 a mile, .25c a minute. Any pickup 6-10 minutes gets and extra $2 added to the minimum fare. Keed adding an extra $2 for every 5 minute increment it takes to pick up. Pickup fee will be based on real-time traffic conditions. This will prevent purposely longhauling to increase the pickup fee, and will compensate appropriately for long pickup that go short distances.
Good, this addresses both our driven distance to pickup and reduces longhauling - something that would appeal to U/L.

Last edited:

UberLean

[email protected] and @UberLean If we do come up with something viable, they just might listen. Just yelling that they won't or that nobody asked us, well, that's exactly what I said.... would you like some cheese???? ???

Everyone else, interesting ideas so far. Let's keep it going. Opinions on these ideas? More ideas?

Remember, think about what works for us and for U/L. There has to be buyin on both sides or it goes nowhere.

OK, but can you refine it more? maybe give a clearer explanation and/or more concrete numbers? It seems rather nebulous, (almost sounds like a straight percentage) but that's ok. Next step is to refine it. How would this make all trips equally appealing? This appears to be a big problem for Uber - how to make them equally appealing to drivers.

@Chocoholic Perhaps you and I should discuss this over dinner. It would create a better atmosphere to ignite my active listening.

Since I’m a lowly rideshare driver, I can only afford McDonalds. I’ll bring the wine and get the burgers and fries. You bring the cheese.

LoveBC

I didn’t read any of the above but I can make it reeeaaaally simple.

X is raised to Select rates
Select is Abolished
XL is set at halfway between new X rate and Black rate.

Chocoholic

I didn’t read any of the above but I can make it reeeaaaally simple.

X is raised to Select rates
Select is Abolished
XL is set at halfway between new X rate and Black rate.
That's what you'd like to see. (I would too.) How does that work for U/L? How does that make all trips equally desirable? As I see it, all that does is just raise prices across the board with no incentive for drivers to take short trips beyond what we have today. Based on history, that's a non-starter.

You've been driving for a long time and you're one of the senior members here. Surely you can think of something that works for BOTH drivers and U/L? Can't you? :smiles: :wink:

LoveBC

That's what you'd like to see. (I would too.) How does that work for U/L? How does that make all trips equally desirable? As I see it, all that does is just raise prices across the board with no incentive for drivers to take short trips beyond what we have today. Based on history, that's a non-starter.

You've been driving for a long time and you're one of the senior members here. Surely you can think of something that works for BOTH drivers and U/L? Can't you? :smiles: :wink:
I would point you back to my thread in which I asked the simple question.... “what do you want the minimum fare to be?”

Most of the answers fit the select minimum.

The problem of short trips is a problem with drivers attitudes. Not every trip is going to be perfect. If you want perfection go start your own livery biz and call it “$100 rides only”

@20yearsdriving can assist you in that disruption.

Another point you may want to think over is that if minimum fare increased the frivolous short trips would dry up to an extent.

Chocoholic

I would point you back to my thread in which I asked the simple question.... “what do you want the minimum fare to be?”

Most of the answers fit the select minimum.

The problem of short trips is a problem with drivers attitudes. Not every trip is going to be perfect. If you want perfection go start your own livery biz and call it “$100 rides only”

@20yearsdriving can assist you in that disruption.

Another point you may want to think over is that if minimum fare increased the frivolous short trips would dry up to an extent.
All true. And I even contributed to that thread. Here, though, I'm trying to come up with something appealing to drivers and to U/L. There needs to be something appetizing to both sides or its a non-starter.

As for drivers' attitudes, again absolutely right. But Uber trying to fix that gave us the 60 cents a mile. That's not going to work either, and looks to be the route they want to take, unless someone can come up with something better. The idea that financial incentive to make all rides equally appealing is good, but so far, the implementations have all been bad. If we don't want it to happen again, we need to at least try to come up with new thinking on how to do it.

Minimum fare trips drying up? There will be some of that, yes, but the higher fares should more than make up for it, both for U/L and for drivers! Anyone with a brain knows its better to make more with fewer trips than less with more trips - even Uber!

UberLean

Plain and simple, U/L can’t figure out a way to pay at least HALF of taxi rates?

All they’d have to do is start an advertising campaign comparing their rates to taxis. A side by side comparison showing a few trip scenarios. Give the public a chance to see how it still is a great deal.

Ridership will slip some...GOOD! All money ain’t good money. Let them broke paxholes catch the bus. Clean house of shitty drivers and shitty cars.

The current model is not sustainable. Something has to give and eventually will. I just think these bastards will go out of biz before anything changes for the better.

tarcham

Not to be negative, but supply and demand will always equal things out. If rates go up you will certainly get more per ride, but you will have less rides because the higher rates will attract more drivers. You would need to limit the number of drivers first. Of course if you limited the number of drivers one company could have that would open up opportunities for other companies. I think the gig is pretty much dead.

Alsace Struggle

Ok, but let's get back on track to brainstorming a plan that will work to get drivers better rates AND make all rides equally appealing.
I have an idea! It is called quiting. Find a job, start a career. Then feel sorrow and pity for your pathetic slave while they chauffer you around in the future for .20 cents a mile. Then when they drop you off at your office or building that you own, you can tell them that you were once like them, working for the man, driving 16 hour days, but a man that waits in line for the tap can never get his fill. Then wish them good luck and leave 5 dollar cash tip. That is the plan. Anything else is futile. If you or anyone actually had a plan that could work, they would be doing it already.

Chocoholic

Never fails. Try to do something constructive and what do we have?
"Just give up and quit."
"The business model is bound to fail"
"It ain't gonna work."

Exactly what I predicted. Instead of trying to come up with something new or useful, just roll out the complaints that are posted on 2/3 of the threads on this forum. Nothing new, nothing useful or helpful, just the same old crap. sheesh!