1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Lessons being learned

Discussion in 'Tips' started by ricks2524, Aug 11, 2017.

1. ricks2524

ricks2524 Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Rant for the day: I haul these waitress' back and forth and have yet to get a tip from them. I always leave tips for them. New policy, no more tipping at restaurants.

2. Julescase

Julescase Member

Can I please add to your rant with a similar subject rant? I just can't believe how obnoxious these servers and bartenders are; as a former server myself who tips everyone at least 20% (for the bare minimum) for everything whenever I go out, I have to wonder what the F is going through these peoples brains when they don't tip us !! Especially now that they don't get to use the excuse of not having cash and/or tipping not being an option in the app!

I Picked up a pax (bartender) tonight, helped her carry 5 huge, heavy, crates filled with liquor bottles from her porch down an entire flight of steep stairs to my car (after she initially stuck her head in my car when I arrived and complained (aka hinted) about "all of these heavy things she needs to get into my car" so I offered my help and she accepted immediately)...anyway, I then drove her through hideous Hollywood and West Hollywood traffic to the destination (a popular concert-type venue where we had to go through three different security stops and where I ended up spending an additional 10 minutes winding my way around just to get to the final drop off point). I then asked if she needed my help taking the boxes out of the car, (which of course she did) - I figured it would get me out of that place faster and I thought I was securing my *obvious* future tip from her, considering the fact that:
    1) she's in the service industry,
    2) I helped her with heavy boxes in AND out of my car, and
    3) I drove her to her difficult-to-reach location at the venue where I ended up having to wait at 3 security stops to get into, then 3 security stops to get out of, said venue for a total of about 20 extra minutes.....

Well, I've been checking the "Earnings" section of my driver app every 15 minutes and have not received a tip from her yet. maybe she just hasn't thought about it, but it's been a couple of hours and I am so annoyed! It really makes me want to stop tipping EVERYONE, everywhere, always! But I'm not that much of a b*tch and I actually enjoy making someone's night by tipping well.

What is wrong with people? They're getting a clean, safe ride for 1/4th the cost if a taxi (where a tip is always given if you're a respectable normal human being) and not a frigging dollar tip? The ones in the service industry are the absolute worst of them all, I mean, the little old ladies and the middle-aged financial stockbrokers and hedge fund managers who are clueless and don't give a tip a second thought can be given a pass, (not that it's OK if they don't tip, but they're just clueless).... The servers and bartenders though??!! They absolutely know better and it should be a non-issue: they should ALWAYS tip, I don't care if it's surging or not - they're still getting an almost-free ride compared to taxis, and they are totally hypocritical nitwits if they don't tip.

Thank you for letting me vent, I know some people might say that I'm in the wrong business or shouldn't be driving for Uber, but I've actually had some pretty good tips too and that evens out the a**holes. But the people in the service industry are the ones who really pissed me off - they have NO excuse.

Rakos and upyouruber like this.
  3. upyouruber

upyouruber Active Member

I would go to their restaurant and order all kinds of special request, more ice, water, my food is cold, whatever to make them run around like chickens with their head cut off and leave them a big fat $0 for a tip!!!

stoof, Laino and Abraxas79 like this.
  4. DRider85

DRider85 Well-Known Member

But not even a 5 stars?

5. Rakos

Rakos Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberXL
    Actually you need to leave 2 cents...

That leaves a message...

Rakos

Julescase likes this.

6. Uberfunitis

Uberfunitis Well-Known Member

They could be not tipping their Uber drivers because when Uber drivers pick up UberEats at their establishment they are always not tipped and returning the favor.

7. NoDay

NoDay Active Member

Driving:
    UberXL
    Tips are nice and I really appreciate those who do tip. I will not go out of my way to help you with boxes etc to get the tip. Now if they were to hand me $20 for helping upfront. That is fine. Otherwise show me where in my contract does it say anything about helping customers with their crap. Not in my contract. I typically will refuse to get out of my seat for any reason while on a run.

Julescase and Rakos like this.
  8. Abraxas79

Abraxas79 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Aren't they the most disgusting ? Especially the ones that brag about all the tips they received on their shift yet will not throw you a measly $2.00 tip.

Write on the bill they give you. $0.00 tip for the UBER driver ? Karma is a *****.

9. upyouruber

upyouruber Active Member

Good point, but that's similar to "don't kill the messenger!"

Rakos likes this.
  10. Laino

Laino New Member

Don't forget to 1 star in google yelp and everywhere else you can think of quoting the name of the waiter.

Abraxas79 likes this.
  11. Mista T

Mista T New Member

On a Saturday night around 2am I picked up a pax with a destination 160 miles away (yes, 160). With about 10 seconds to decide to accept or cancel, I said "I have to drive back for free, would you mind throwing in a little for gas?" She asked how much are we talking? I said I dont know, $20, or whatever you think is fair. She said okay.

When i dropped her off she said she had no cash and she would tip in the app. No problem, whatever.

I spent the next 3 hrs driving home, checking the app every 20-30 mins. No tip. Needless to say, I was pissed at being lied to. $20 wasnt that much to ask, the gas in my Honda cost about $40 round trip. I was pissed at being stiffed.

Next day was Sunday. I checked that pax's trip at the end of the day, and still no tip. That b****.

On Monday I went into Lyft to change the pax rating to one star, I was pissed about being lied to, its the principle of it all. They found the ride, and said "looks like she went online and gave you $25 at around 7am this morning". It was Monday, I hadnt given any rides yet, and my dashboard showed Tips of $25. But the individual ride showed nothing. They said that the ride only shows tips if done on the app, and within 24 hrs, online tips just show up in the dashboard.

Tuesday I got an email from Lyft saying that she had added anither $50 in tip for that ride. I almost s*** my pants.

Pleasantly surprised, hope y'all have similar luck in the future as well.

MHR, Uber Crack and Rakos like this.
  12. upyouruber

upyouruber Active Member

Not a bad strategy, however would you have been even more pissed if she cancelled on you at that point and just found another driver?

13. Mista T

Mista T New Member

No doubt I would have been seriously Fkn pissed. Especially since I started the ride just as the bars were closing, I sacrificed an hour of surge rides for her. Luckily, this time worked out.

14. Julescase

Julescase Member

OMG you hit the nail on the head, I've driven so many bartenders to their clubs, braving Hollywood traffic for 3 miles of non-moving traffic for a whopping 3.00 and ZERO GD tip. I want to go to their bars, order frozen margaritas all night, and leave zero tip. Cheap people suck monkey balls.

15. Aerodrifting

Aerodrifting Member

Driving:
    UberX
    I think you have all the right to rant. If this ever happened to me, I'd go to that restaurant the next day, Find out the name of that bartender / waitress, Name her for service (don't wanna hit any innocent), Asking all the service I can and not leaving a tip afterwards. Hell, Seeing that you are also in LA, Give me the name of restaurant and her name I'd do it for you. lol

Julescase likes this.
  16. Julescase

Julescase Member

I'd never do such a thing!! (but here's a close to IMPOSSIBLE-to- figure out hint: It's on the corner of two streets that MIGHT rhyme with Slunset Blvd and Smansfield Ave)