Legal Obligations

Ridiculous

Is there a way to contact legal at Uber? I am unable to find an email address or a way, thru the app, to send a message.

I have two questions:

1. If you pick up a passenger that is under 21 years old and they tell you they're intoxicated is there a legal obligation to report the incident to ________ ?

2. If you pick up a passenger who is clearly intoxicated and you drop them off at their car which they intend to drive home, is there a legal obligation to report them to ____________?

I feel like the duty of a driver is to pick up and drop off in a safe and efficient manner but does it end there? It is possible to sue a bar that overserves a patron. Can Uber or Uber drivers be responsible for passenger's actions after the ride has ended?

These are just hypothetical questions. While I'm thinking about it (and sure to be lambasted anyway), what's the story with teens? I read about Uber Teen accounts but not sure they're active in the Phoenix Metro area and I've seen teens picked up by rideshare in the past. Is there a rule for picking up non-adults?

Nasshan79

Is there a way to contact legal at Uber? I am unable to find an email address or a way, thru the app, to send a message.

I have two questions:

1. If you pick up a passenger that is under 21 years old and they tell you they're intoxicated is there a legal obligation to report the incident to ________ ?

2. If you pick up a passenger who is clearly intoxicated and you drop them off at their car which they intend to drive home, is there a legal obligation to report them to ____________?

I feel like the duty of a driver is to pick up and drop off in a safe and efficient manner but does it end there? It is possible to sue a bar that overserves a patron. Can Uber or Uber drivers be responsible for passenger's actions after the ride has ended?

These are just hypothetical questions. While I'm thinking about it (and sure to be lambasted anyway), what's the story with teens? I read about Uber Teen accounts but not sure they're active in the Phoenix Metro area and I've seen teens picked up by rideshare in the past. Is there a rule for picking up non-adults?
All interesting questions. Why report a teen who is drunk using uber? They made the right choice by using uber and not getting on the road.

We are never responsible for a riders actions during a ride or after a ride. Plain and simple.

You'd probably have to hire a lawyer and have him/her contact Uber legal dept. Good luck doing it on your own. And good luck getting them to give you any legal advice regarding those topics.

Ridiculous

Thanks for your insight. I feel like a lot of driving for rideshare is ambiguous and an happy to hear no one has has any problems in regards to minors or drunk drivers.

Phxdriver, name calling is unnecessary. I really don't care what anyone does unless their actions effect me which is why I'm asking.

happy to hear no one has has any problems in regards to minors or drunk drivers.

Not sure what you mean by this? Minors??? Both Uber and Lyft current policy is we are NOT to accept an unaccompanied minor. Uber no longer authorizes teen accounts. This info can be found in the online Help areas. And what do you mean by drunk drivers?

CarterPeerless

Not sure what you mean by this? Minors??? Both Uber and Lyft current policy is we are NOT to accept an unaccompanied minor. Uber no longer authorizes teen accounts. This info can be found in the online Help areas. And what do you mean by drunk drivers?

Drunk drivers - like when you pull a drunk out of a bar and drive them to their car parked elsewhere. I had that just a few weeks ago.

Harry Seaward

We are never responsible for a riders actions during a ride or after a ride.
I wouldn't casually make this assumption. There is a Phoenix Veyo driver that has been charged with negligent homicide because the passenger died of exposure (heat) after the driver dropped the pax at the intended destination.

Bar tenders/owners have also been found liable for wrongful death when their bar patrons kill people in auto accidents while intoxicated.

The way I see it, it's a very short jump from both of those scenarios to one where a taxi/RS driver is liable (criminally or otherwise) for not reporting someone they suspect of being intoxicated getting into the driver's side on a car. If course, if the RS driver doesn't admit to knowing the rider was intoxicated and seeing them get into a car, the prosecution would have to prove the person was clearly intoxicated to a reasonable observer, and that the RS driver saw the rider get into another car or otherwise knew the rider had intentions of driving.

BillyBob444

I wouldn't casually make this assumption. There is a Phoenix Veyo driver that has been charged with negligent homicide because the passenger died of exposure (heat) after the driver dropped the pax at the intended destination.

Bar tenders/owners have also been found liable for wrongful death when their bar patrons kill people in auto accidents while intoxicated.

The way I see it, it's a very short jump from both of those scenarios to one where a taxi/RS driver is liable (criminally or otherwise) for not reporting someone they suspect of being intoxicated getting into the driver's side on a car. If course, if the RS driver doesn't admit to knowing the rider was intoxicated and seeing them get into a car, the prosecution would have to prove the person was clearly intoxicated to a reasonable observer, and that the RS driver saw the rider get into another car or otherwise knew the rider had intentions of driving.

That was a taxi driver dude not a veyo driver

Harry Seaward

That was a taxi driver dude not a veyo driver
The only one I know about I'm pretty certain was Veyo. Might have been Discount, but he was for sure driving NEMT.

Either way, the same logic applies and you may face liability after the person leaves your vehicle.

Phxdriver

Thanks for your insight. I feel like a lot of driving for rideshare is ambiguous and an happy to hear no one has has any problems in regards to minors or drunk drivers.

Phxdriver, name calling is unnecessary. I really don't care what anyone does unless their actions effect me which is why I'm asking.
Some people are so dumb they are stupid. Before I rest my case I suggest you call the FBI, CIA, & Homeland Security each time you have an intoxicated PAX. Be especially carefully dealing with teens they are known to complain about driver navigation skills.

Dakidd

A person of 18 is not a minor

Dakidd

Here we go with the genius Again The V own driver probably left A less than healthy person out in the hot Sun without making sure they safely went in the house As far is allowing employers for the driver after leaving a bar that called dram shop law and a bar beers responsibility if they over serve or let and attacks of Hill person

Yulli Yung

I have two questions:

This makes me think of the guy who is looking for a problem to match up with his solution. It's called MYOB