1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Leaving money on the table....

Discussion in 'Tips' started by TotC, Dec 16, 2016.

1. TotC

TotC Active Member

I have decided to add some kind of tipping sign this weekend, as I do feel I am leaving money on the table so to speak.

I have received cash tips which are nice, and were not solicited in any way. They were just people handing me a cash tip.

If I offer any amenities, it would be a phone charger, and I do open doors for folks. I've thought about gum at least for the bar crowd, but I am still undecided.

I would like to start offering some way of a cashless tip, such as a Square reader, but until I can source one, that leaves me to find an interim option. I remember seeing something about using a QR code for Paypal transactions with a preset amount someone mentioned here. Does anyone have any info on this. My google-fu is failing me.

tohunt4me likes this.
  2. crazy916

crazy916 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    You can pick up a Square at most Best Buys, Walgreens or Rite Aids for $10 and you get reimbursed that money when you make your first transaction.

3. UberwithDan

UberwithDan Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    venmo app is an option. paypal.me is another one.

4. Shangsta

Shangsta Well-Known Member

Square reader is best. They swipe their card and move on. Its quick and they dont need to have paypal or type in their card number.

Tips should be quick and painless.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2016
    yeahTHATuberGVL likes this.
  5. crazytown

crazytown Well-Known Member

Gum will be stuck to the bottom of your seats and throw on the floor ,and nobody is going to use square, sure maybe once in every 100 rides , face it nobody tips with uber.

6. Mears Troll Number 4

Mears Troll Number 4 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    Taxi
    Square is da bomb... custom receipts can quickly relay them the contact info very very quickly.

I use it for backup processing for the taxi stuff.

I would make 1000% sure you have a line DIRECTLY ABOVE AND BELOW THE DOLLAR AMOUNT. THIS IS GRATUITY, NOT PRIMARY PAYMENT FOR SERVICES RENDERED. Then you have a signature line.

If you have someone canceling their uber payment after tipping you, you can forward along their info as well as the screen that the passenger sees when they pay.

If you don't they can call uber support and say that you had them paid by a third party app.. If the CSR believes them your out that much money, if it's clear as day apparent that it's gratuity, guess what?

the CSR won't touch it.

yeahTHATuberGVL, TotC and Shangsta like this.
  7. GalinMcMahon

GalinMcMahon Active Member

I've never had an Uber rider ask about alternative tip methods. At the same time I am tipped by about half of my Lyft riders through the app. F you Uber for not giving your customers that option.

TotC likes this.
  8. A_Driver

A_Driver Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    I had a guy write me a $10 check this weekend. I still haven't cashed it. Not worth going to the bank for $10. I'll cash it some day.

wk1102 likes this.
  9. TotC

TotC Active Member

Thanks for the advice.

10. wk1102

wk1102 Well-Known Member

I gave a guy a check for a tip once. locked my keys in my car, he sat in traffic for 45 minutes to pop my lock in about 10 seconds. I had no cash, (we were at SeaWorld ) . I made it for 25 because it was a check and the hassle of it all. he had his son with him.. 8-10. I said I'll makes it out to you or to your son...you decide. ultimately I left the name blank.

It took about 2 weeks for the check to clear but it did.

11. Shangsta

Shangsta Well-Known Member

I always try to cash my checks within a week. Some people live paycheck to paycheck and you cashing a check they forgot about can cause their account to go into the negative.

Trafficat, victorylane and tradedate like this.
  12. phacue

phacue New Member

Where in the Square Register can you put in your disclaimer? I want to make sure the disclaimer you mentioned is visible where the passengers sign.

Thanks!

13. TotC

TotC Active Member

I finally signed up for Square. If you haven't found this yet, sign into Square then go to Square Dashboard. Towards the bottom on the left, there is the option Accounts & Settings > then, a new screeen pops up. About halfway down, there is another option for receipts, click that and you can edit how your receipt will look.

14. Tamera

Tamera New Member

I am fairly new...well Since Dec..but sorry to tell you....I have gum and Candy and no they do not put the gum on the floor..seriously dude?

15. Jc.

Jc. Well-Known Member

Why offer candy and gum? Stop and desist.

Troll and Shangsta like this.
  16. Tamera

Tamera New Member

That's the way I roll...:) no really...I liked it when drivers had WHATEVER in the car when I was a PAX for 3 months. I think it's Sweet...it's my personality really...if you knew me you would understand. I like making people happy or laugh..anyway REALLY it's ALL from the dollar store and quite good really minus the water from Trader joes :) So it's all good :) I KNOW I don't HAVE to do that...but since my rating is av about 4.91 I think I will stick with my actions :)

17. Jc.

Jc. Well-Known Member

If I want them to be happy I just tell them a joke LOL

18. Trafficat

Trafficat Well-Known Member

Some pax have a poor sense of humor and bad breath.

But a mint can make them happy, and since I do not appreciate bad breath, it can help make me happy too.

19. senorCRV

senorCRV Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    This kinda makes you a &%$@!*, people hate when you hold a check.

Do you use Stoneage bank, because every bank I know of has an option to take a picture of a check to cash it.

Tenderloin likes this.
  20. Tenderloin

Tenderloin Well-Known Member

Bank of Sybiria