Leaving Black Out Drunks on the sidewalk or in their driveway.. any liability?

NHDriver

I had a black out drunk in my car on Friday night. Passed out 3 minutes into a 14 minute ride. Arrived at his destination, townhouse complex. Tried for almost 15 minutes to wake him and get him out of my back seat. He would not budge just moan a little. Pulled him out of the car and left him laying in his driveway.. Got a ping, left to pick up new pax.

Has anyone else had this experience? If so, is there any liability to the driver once you end the trip and leave them on their property?

And yes, I knocked on the door to his residence and rang the doorbell, nobody answered.

Last edited:

UberBastid

Had that happen to me once.
Wasn't far from a hospital, so I took him to ER and told the admitting clerk that I "have a guy in my car that's having trouble breathing." They took him out RFN. Gotta use the right terminology though. Not, "they guy is passed out drunk", but, "having trouble breathing."
She asked me to come in for paperwork, I said, "sure, as soon as I park" then got back on the road.
Easy peasy.

PS: Same thing for 911. If you gotta call for a cop, tell them you think your pax has a gun, or tell them YOU have a gun ... they'll be there pronto. Otherwise ... yer on your own. Make it sound worse than it is.

JimKE

lol, this was not a medical emergency this was a drunk.
Based on what you learned in medical school?

How do you know it was not a medical emergency? How do you know it wasn't an opiod overdose, or a stroke, or a seizure, or diabetic emergency, or cardiac problem, or respiratory emergency? Did you do a legitimate patient assessment?

Just call 911 and let professionals handle it.

Leaving an unresponsive pax on the sidewalk is just plain stupid.

Rakos

I had one of these...

I called the police and reported...

That I left a drunk passed out pax...

Ask them to do a "welfare check"on him...

I also gave them my number...

And asked them to call back...

And let me know he was ok...

They responded...and I got called back...

They said I handled it perfectly...

They said it took a cop...

And two paramedics to get him in the house...

End of story...

Pick up a drunk pax...

You ARE responsible...

Do the right thing...Whatever it is...8>)

Rakos

ShinyAndChrome

Why would you assume they are going to die? lol, this was not a medical emergency this was a drunk.
Believe it or not people can die from booze. I remember people going to the ER for stomach pumps in college.

I think 911 is the way to go right off the bat. You also get the added satisfaction of knowing how hilariously embarrassed that fool would be when the cops are called on him.

Guy chokes on vomit. Police will investigate. If they connect the dots you physically moved the body. Longshot police connect anything, but on
Actually it's not a long shot at all! The cops will wonder how he got there, find out from his friends who say he ubered, now they know you dropped him off and they interview you about his condition.

Rakos

Don't let black-out drunks into your vehicle in the first place. Problem solved.

Yes...it was a mistake to let them...

Put him in my car...

Bartenders and bouncers will do that...

If you let them...

In my defense...I knew him...

Had given him rides before...

Just didn't expect it...

To go the way it did...

Rakos

Nick781

Never do that ever again.

Yell there name loudly get them to wake up if they don't especially that long call 911 for help...

NHDriver

Based on what you learned in medical school?

How do you know it was not a medical emergency? How do you know it wasn't an opiod overdose, or a stroke, or a seizure, or diabetic emergency, or cardiac problem, or respiratory emergency? Did you do a legitimate patient assessment?

Just call 911 and let professionals handle it.

Leaving an unresponsive pax on the sidewalk is just plain stupid.
Because he was have a slurred conversation before he nodded off. And because I was an EMT for 4 years.

Don't let black-out drunks into your vehicle in the first place. Problem solved.
He got in my car on his own just fine and started talking to me for a few minutes. Then passed out. Not the first pax that has passed out in my car after we start chatting a bit.

SEAL Team 5

Has anyone else had this experience? If so, is there any liability to the driver once you end the trip and leave them on their property?

Research the Long Beach CA case of a wrongful death lawsuit against Uber driver Festus Okoh for the negligent homocide of Uber pax Ryan Anderson. Okoh dropped off a visibly impaired Ryan close to his home. Inebriated Ryan gained entry into a wrong home and was shot dead by the homeowner.
Even if Okoh is found 0% responsible I'm sure his legal fees will be in the tens of thousands. By the way, Okah ended the ride when he dropped Ryan off and was not covered by Uber's insurance.
So the answer to your question of you being liable? Yes, you are part of a multi billion dollar company. Every one wants a piece of that pie.

NHDriver

Believe it or not people can die from booze. I remember people going to the ER for stomach pumps in college.

I think 911 is the way to go right off the bat. You also get the added satisfaction of knowing how hilariously embarrassed that fool would be when the cops are called on him.

Actually it's not a long shot at all! The cops will wonder how he got there, find out from his friends who say he ubered, now they know you dropped him off and they interview you about his condition.
I dropped him off officer, he got out of the car and I left officer.

KK2929

Research the Long Beach CA case of a wrongful death lawsuit against Uber driver Festus Okoh for the negligent homocide of Uber pax Ryan Anderson. Okoh dropped off a visibly impaired Ryan close to his home. Inebriated Ryan gained entry into a wrong home and was shot dead by the homeowner.
Even if Okoh is found 0% responsible I'm sure his legal fees will be in the tens of thousands. By the way, Okah ended the ride when he dropped Ryan off and was not covered by Uber's insurance.
So the answer to your question of you being liable? Yes, you are part of a multi billion dollar company. Every one wants a piece of that pie.

Interesting -- why would driver Okoh be responsible for a passenger that went into the wrong house because he was drunk ??
It is not a drivers job to make certain a paxs - drunk or sober - enters the correct address. I dont see a case here but he will still have to hire an defense attorney, which starts at $1000 and only goes up.