Lease and Enterprise Rentals now in Orlando

Batch

Not an Uber driver yet. Not sure if I will be. A lot of negative views on here have me worried I wouldn't make enough money to live on and prosper ... debating between Uber and Lyft, Mears, and a couple of other cab companies.

But since I have been seriously considering Uber, I have been looking into options for getting a car. And after my various research jags had convinced me that neither the lease option nor the Enterprise rental option were available in Orlando, today I got confirmation that both -should- now be available here.

I spoke with the business rentals team of Enterprise for Orlando today, and they confirmed this was now available here (or would be within days), though I am trying to verify some of the details.

And I was just approved for an Uber Xchange and given the names of the two current participating dealerships here ... so unless it is the same problem someone else mentioned somewhere on the forums of being approved for another program only masquarading as the leasing program, that option should now be available here, as well.

Just passing on the information.

The Mollusk

Can you work a 12hr shift? Go with Mears. You'll make between 700-1200 a week.

Can only work 3-4 hours a day? Go work the dinner shift at subway. You'll make $200 a week.

Batch

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Again, I was only providing information on the options seemingly reaching Orlando, now.

I am considering Mears.

Can you help me out in my considering? If I am willing to work the graveyard shift and want to drive a Checker (so as to have Disney area options, and still get to do some runs to the airport in the mornings) how bad is the leasing going to be?

2Cents

2Cents

image.png
Not an Uber driver yet. Not sure if I will be. A lot of negative views on here have me worried I wouldn't make enough money to live on and prosper ... debating between Uber and Lyft, Mears, and a couple of other cab companies.

But since I have been seriously considering Uber, I have been looking into options for getting a car. And after my various research jags had convinced me that neither the lease option nor the Enterprise rental option were available in Orlando, today I got confirmation that both -should- now be available here.

I spoke with the business rentals team of Enterprise for Orlando today, and they confirmed this was now available here (or would be within days), though I am trying to verify some of the details.

And I was just approved for an Uber Xchange and given the names of the two current participating dealerships here ... so unless it is the same problem someone else mentioned somewhere on the forums of being approved for another program only masquarading as the leasing program, that option should now be available here, as well.

Just passing on the information.
Can you survive off .01 ?
If so, you have your answer.

The Mollusk

Again, I was only providing information on the options seemingly reaching Orlando, now.

I am considering Mears.

Can you help me out in my considering? If I am willing to work the graveyard shift and want to drive a Checker (so as to have Disney area options, and still get to do some runs to the airport in the mornings) how bad is the leasing going to be?
Night rates are somewhere between 60-75 ish, some people love checker, some people don't. For your first two months you get baby rates so you can safely check out all the fleets and find the right one.

Shine'ola

here's the deal, Uber X pays 65 c less 25% =49c , if you only average having a passenger half of the time you are around 24c for every mile put on the car, let's just say the minute rate plus base covers gas and some car washes / vacuums . It will take 400 miles to get to $100. 400 miles not stoping going 50mph takes 8 hours. On the Enterprise lease if you go over the miles they charge 20 cents a mile and you are only getting 24 cents, sign up today and get $100 bonus for referring a friend !

Batch

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
OK. I want to be clear about this. First off, I will admit, I am less than happy, reading about the latest price drop. It makes it more difficult to try and make money with this as a business, and to me does show a lack of concern for it's 'partners' by Uber. I am not trying to defend Uber or say they are an absolutely incredible way to make money.

But it seems to me, the other side kind of stretches things, as well, and seems to want to mis-speak and make things seem worse than they are.

I don't know if we're talking about two different things, but Enterprise clearly says on their web site that the Uber -rentals- are $215 a week for -unlimited- miles, so how can there be overage miles? Now if Enterprise is doing both rentals -and- leases, then obviously the leases could have different terms.

Secondly, I have a friend who is a current Uber Orlando driver, and he says he is making between $150 and $250 a day, working roughly eight hours a day, depending on the day. Of course, he has a quite nice car, and is a real people person who probably manages more in tips than most drivers would, but while wear and tear and depreciation mean he'd not getting rich, it certainly isn't .01 a week, either.

Finally, it seems like several people on here are calling Uber a scam. From what I can see, by the true definition of the word, Uber is no scam. Unless almost every other kind of job out there, these days, is also a scam. Uber is a business that makes money for it's owners, while offering others a chance to make some money, too. And like every single other business out there, it may be right for some people and wrong for others. It may not be one of the best options. And you may have to think and reason through the details to figure out the honest amount of value it has.

PLEASE, keep warning people about the down sides, and make them aware of the dangers. But also try and keep it on the level. Obviously there are some folks for whom Uber works, and is a viable option. Though I am becoming more and more convinced it is not as viable an option for me.

Last edited:

Buckiemohawk

Biatch: At what time, have you not read on this forum or elsewhere that it is insane to rent or lease a car and drive it for Uber, Lyft or any of these companies. You have an accident and your at fault. There goes your house. Your livelihood. Everything you known. There is no money in this game. Orlando is hitting a wall with drivers and best to stay out.

Mars Troll Number 4

Finally, it seems like several people on here are calling Uber a scam. From what I can see, by the true definition of the word, Uber is no scam. Unless almost every other kind of job out there, these days, is also a scam. Uber is a business that makes money for it's owners, while offering others a chance to make some money, too. And like every single other business out there, it may be right for some people and wrong for others. It may not be one of the best options. And you may have to think and reason through the details to figure out the honest amount of value it has.

PLEASE, keep warning people about the down sides, and make them aware of the dangers. But also try and keep it on the level. Obviously there are some folks for whom Uber works, and is a viable option. Though I am becoming more and more convinced it is not as viable an option for me.
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/scam

a dishonest way to make money by deceiving people

Let's see if THIS applies to uber shall we...

https://fee.org/articles/do-uber-drivers-lose-money/

THIS site however calculates the cost of driving for uber at about 16c per mile. This is from a page that debunks the "Uber drivers lose money" statement.

Let's do some fancy mathamatics at the rate of 16c per mile as it applies to the Orlando market.

The worst thing about the Orlando market is the insane number of dead miles that all vehicles for hire drive. A "Dead Mile" is something that needs to be explained to people who have never worked a job like this. It applies to any mile that you drive empty. If this sounds like something stupid that you would never ever do and can easily be avoided... well your wrong... so so so wrong.

In Orlando everyone doing this sort of thing for a living has to drive dead miles, it can't be avoided. The best example I can give you is that you can drive someone to the airport from touristland as it were, and being an uberX driver you have to turn around and head back to touristland from the airport because you can not pick up there.

Another example is if you were to drive someone from downtown to winter park at 1:45 A.M your best bet is to turn right back around and head back downtown.

You drive someone from a hotel to a themepark at 8:00 am you have to turn right back around because no one gets a ride from the magic Kingdom at 8:00 am...

The examples are never ending, unlike most cities the flow of passengers is laregely 1 direction. Another perfect example is theoretically the airport. There are TONS of fares going to the airport from 4:00 am to 12:00 pm but relativly little going out. A mix between 12:00 pm and 5:00 pm, and lots going out but not in between 5:00 pm and 1:00 am.

So how many of your miles end up being paid miles in Orlando?

Years of experience tells me that working Dispatched fares/trips your lucky to get 33% paid miles, if your working the themeparks... maybe 50% at best.

So let's use uber X at the best case scenerio for the sake of the argument.

50% paid miles with a cost of 16c per mile is a total expendature of 32c per mile out of your 48c payout per mile plus 8c per minute.

I average something like 8 paid miles per hour, and something like 10-15 minutes of passenger time per hour. YES THATS IT.

So for a new uberX driver that comes to like...
$1.28 in paid miles after expenses
$1.20 in paid time per hour

Is this a scam to be getting paid that little?

But in a taxi it comes to like

$10.00 per hour in expenses.
and like $20-30 an hour in revenue after tips.

Mars Troll Number 4

Ok let's use some of my averages to show how much i'd expect to earn in a night of driving,

In Orlando I never hit more than about 80-100 paid miles in 10 hours of driving... and probobly 1/4 of the time or less do i have a passenger so in 10 hours.

150(a lot more than i expect to get) in paid miles is $24 in profit
4 hours (A lot longer than i would expect to get) of passenger time is $19.20 in profit

totally $43 for 10 hours of work or $4.30 an hour.

I rest my case.

UberIsAScam

Secondly, I have a friend who is a current Uber Orlando driver, and he says he is making between $150 and $250 a day, working roughly eight hours a day, depending on the day.
What day/time does he/she drive?
In that 8 hours, how many miles are put on the vehicle?
How much gas is spent?
Is that $150-$250 AFTER Fuber's cut?

Fuber drivers are notorious for reporting inaccurate numbers. My guess is it makes them feel better about themselves.

What the poster above me laid out is pretty spot on. The majority of miles driven are non-paid. I find it impossible to believe you have a friend that, on a regular basis, pulls in a PROFIT of $15o-$250 per 8 hours driven. This is coming from someone that used to drive. And no, I'm not a Taxi driver. I'm here to expose what a terrible company Fuber is and do my best to warn people to stay away.

Keep in mind, if you spoke to someone that lives in a city that pays $1 plus per mile, you'll hear a different story. But the rate in Orlando is simply too low and things are spread out, thus creating so many dead miles.

And yes, Fuber is a scam.

The Mollusk

Batch, I actually want you to drive. Try uber for 2 weeks , then try Mears for 2 weeks. Neither company requires you to make a commitment.

autofill

I think you guys are making it too complicated. For the Orlando market, you get 50 cent per mile minus gas and tolls if you are an efficient driver who doesn't wonder around driving aimlessly between pickups. So this just means if you want to make $100 a day, you'll likely have to drive 200 working miles.

If you are not an efficient driver, then you might have to drive 300 working miles a day to make $100.

Any drivers who claims to make $200-$250 a day have to drive at least 400-500 miles which is hard to believe in a 10-12 hour shift.

Mars Troll Number 4

$100 a day in REVENUE is 200 PAID miles.

If half your miles are paid (good luck in Orlando).... And your cost per driven mile is 16c. Your profit margin per paid mile is 16c plus 8c a minute.

200 paid miles with 200 unpaid miles is 400 total miles with $100 in revenue and $64 in expenses, or $36 in profit. This is nowhere near $100 in profit, and I am using very generous numbers.

The reality is that the taxis have only pulled maybe 100-125 paid miles max in a 12 hour period.

And also remember there were a lot fewer cars to go around.

If you having a good day consists of stats they blow the cabs numbers out of the water, you are delusional.

Shine'ola

let's just say a ride takes you to St Cloud, you have to get out of there=dead miles just like Cleremont, MTN4 said it best, at certain times all rides are one way, to the parks in the am, to the restaurants at 6-7, then back to hotels at 10-2. I had a couple a$$ clowns trying to tell me what a great gig Uber is and I had to correct them that there are dead miles, they said no you should be able to get a ride from our hotel after you drop us off, as we pulled in to the MWC I said nope, no one goes out at 1 am, maybe a call girl going home but she won't take Select

Mars Troll Number 4

let's just say a ride takes you to St Cloud, you have to get out of there=dead miles just like Cleremont, MTN4 said it best, at certain times all rides are one way, to the parks in the am, to the restaurants at 6-7, then back to hotels at 10-2. I had a couple a$$ clowns trying to tell me what a great gig Uber is and I had to correct them that there are dead miles, they said no you should be able to get a ride from our hotel after you drop us off, as we pulled in to the MWC I said nope, no one goes out at 1 am, maybe a call girl going home but she won't take Select
I've been doing this long enough to know better.

I get asked if uber is hurting us "cab drivers" about every other fare.

I started just saying "I feel bad for the uber drivers"

It's about the best way to get my point accross of just how bad of a gig uber really is.

Last night I took out a Mears ride for a 6:00 pm shift, (the dispatch only fleet no cab stands allowed)

84 paid miles 194 total miles, 19 fares total. ($2.25 in tolls and zero in airport fees)
$105 in lease
$13 in gas
$2.25 in tolls
$6.83 in munchies and caffeine
$127 in total expenses after 12 hours to a total cost per mile of $.63.
Total revenue $250 on the meter $65 in tips, for $315 in total revenue after credit card processing.

$188 profit in my pocket.

The cut the "evil exploitive cab company" got was only a shade over 33% of the revenue I generated. The way uber is going they will be taking 1/3 of their drivers revenue soon.

Averaging 4.4 paid miles a fare. Translating that to uber money that would come to way less than $10 a fare. I actually only had 2 fares that were over $25 on the meter all night.