Lazy insurance holder needs advice

Derp Derp

So, I was never supposed to do this Uber thing for very long, and I'm pretty much a "path of least resistance" kind of guy. Don't judge.

A few months after I started, my auto insurance caught wind of the fact and wanted ALL the details and probably to drop me for whatever you full-timers use. Instead, being a particularly bright person, I lied to them and said I was only doing it for the initial windfall, and I'd already stopped. I resolved to "be careful".

So, having driven about six or seven days since January, it was bound to come due, right? Early evening yesterday, I got rear-ended by a teenager with three young, female passengers in the car. No obvious damage to either automobile, but we exchanged information, and I said I'd make a determination on my own. I gave my personal number to the passengers, one of which called me today with back and neck pain.

How screwed am I if this goes to Uber? Anyone know the consequences? I think all involved wouldn't have a problem just reporting this as if they were little chums of mine instead of paying customers. Just hoping for some info on how best to handle it.

Tedgey

First of all, no idea. Spoiler alert: the duck is clueless.

This is a common complaint among me. I haven't got a clue what the procedure is, who I should contact, etc. in case I'm in an accident. Maybe if Uber had a TELEPHONE NUMBER it might help.

Derp Derp

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I know every ride has a "help" section where you can fill out an accident report. That's the easy part.

I also know the rules are different depending on what phase of the ride you're in. Just to clarify, we were driving on fare, and continued the same ride after information was exchanged. I dropped them off at their destination without further incident

Chrisdrhjh

I haven't read all this but here, https://newsroom.uber.com/insurance-for-uberx-with-ridesharing/

I think that since you were in the middle of the ride it's covered by Uber, but since you didn't immediately notify them it might make things more complicated. I'm going to read up on it and get back to you cause this is ugly information that we all should know. ..

Uber might try and work with the people that hit you's insurance, since you were rear ended they should pretty much automatically be at fault and the teen's liability should go directly to you and your pax. .... Maybe when/if you do eventually talk to someone with Uber you can say you thought that since the other driver was at fault you didn't have to get Uber's insurance involved.... Try and play dumb x)

sekani

The other driver is at fault. You and your passengers will need to file a claim with the other driver's insurance. You won't even need to talk to your own insurance company if fault was admitted.

If the other driver decides to fight it, however, you'll need to file a claim with James River and have them go after the other driver.

Either way, your personal insurance likely will not need to be involved.

(I was in an accident three weeks ago under near-identical circumstances and this was my experience. I actually do have a TNC endorsement on my policy, but my insurance told me straight out that they didn't need to get involved.)

Derp Derp

I can do that, I just want to make sure that if I'm using their insurance, they aren't going to contact my personal insurance. It's pretty much a given that there's nothing to be paid for on my end here.

Chrisdrhjh

google "what to do in a rideshare accident". Sounds like Uber (James River) might pay u and your pax first, then collect from the other guys insurance. You should email your uber office and they're supposed to assist you in starting your JR claim. You will probably be deactivated until you can prove there is no damage.

Good luck, keep us posted I'm very curious how your situation turns out. Sounds like your pax is just looking to milk some money out of this so be careful.

bowlertgb

Okay, good to know. Thanks guys.

Same thing happened to me last month. I hired an accident attorney right away and I'm clean and everything is now cleared up now. I would def recommend the firm I went with as this has been a really smooth transition. Message me if you would like the firms contact info

Derp Derp

Same thing happened to me last month. I hired an accident attorney right away and I'm clean and everything is now cleared up now. I would def recommend the firm I went with as this has been a really smooth transition. Message me if you would like the firms contact info
I dunno... I mean this is so clearly not my fault. I'm not sure what the point would be of dragging in legal help. Just a straight-forward, minor rear-ender.

Jbeck

First of all, no idea. Spoiler alert: the duck is clueless.

This is a common complaint among me. I haven't got a clue what the procedure is, who I should contact, etc. in case I'm in an accident. Maybe if Uber had a TELEPHONE NUMBER it might help.
You had me at "the duck is clueless"!