• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

LAX car impounded

exotour

Yesterday I got my car impounded by LAX police for dropping off a rider without U decal on my windshield. Now I'm desperately waiting for a phone call from CPUC official. I called them and left voice mail for callback for getting cited for 5411/5371 No authority to operate and 9400vc no commercial fee. I'm kinda nervous how much I'll end up paying.

Please give me some feedback what I can expect my next step will be. Most concerning thing is that heavy fine. Is there any way to pay off the fine on installment? Paying the citation is a big problem but also I have to pay storage of impound fee which will cost me $270+ plus $45+ per day. I don't know how soon I can get my car back.

Viera Uber

Yesterday I got my car impounded by LAX police for dropping off a rider without U decal on my windshield. Now I'm desperately waiting for a phone call from CPUC official. I called them and left voice mail for callback for getting cited for 5411/5371 No authority to operate and 9400vc no commercial fee. I'm kinda nervous how much I'll end up paying.

Please give me some feedback what I can expect my next step will be. Most concerning thing is that heavy fine. Is there any way to pay off the fine on installment? Paying the citation is a big problem but also I have to pay storage of impound fee which will cost me $270+ plus $45+ per day. I don't know how soon I can get my car back.
Contact Uber support - make sure you put urgent in the subject line. As long as you were operating on their guidelines (like they didn't tell you not to go there) they should provide assistance, possibly legal representation.

LAuberX

Contact Uber support - make sure you put urgent in the subject line. As long as you were operating on their guidelines (like they didn't tell you not to go there) they should provide assistance, possibly legal representation.
He was not displaying the PUC required "U" in the windshield... so he was out of the guidelines here in California.

exotour

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I just read the email from Uber regarding Airport drop offs. It's a bit confusing since you have to have your U sign on windshield for LAX but on dashboard for Bob Hope. I had my U sign but on dashboard. They said it has to be visible from 50 feet away.

Viera Uber

I just read the email from Uber regarding Airport drop offs. It's a bit confusing since you have to have your U sign on windshield for LAX but on dashboard for Bob Hope. I had my U sign but on dashboard. They said it has to be visible from 50 feet away.
Email support anyway...maybe they can at least offer some guidance on what to do now.

exotour

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I emailed Uber right away. 3 times. Till now I still haven't got any response from Uber. I'll email Uber again with Urgent title and see if they respond.

LAuberX

WOW that is chicken shit... a cop walked up to your car and saw the "U" and still towed you? B.S.

Kingo9

Did you get out of your car? Unless you left it there, I've never heard of anything besides just a ticket. Thats crazy if you didnt.

sidewazzz

So did someone walk right up to your window and ask if you were UBER? How about claiming to Ube you had no idea about the U?

Optimus Uber

That is bull shit. Makes me want to play bumper cars with those motorcycle cops.

If it's on the dash it's good enough. Sounds like you got a dick cop

JLA

Yesterday I got my car impounded by LAX police for dropping off a rider without U decal on my windshield.
You mean you didn't have the U displayed or just not in the right position ie the windshield. I have mine on the drivers side dash which is easily seen. However, maybe I'm doing it wrong.

In any case, this is Uber's responsibility.

KGB7

Got to Uber office and get a dozen U stickers. Then slap them all over your car.

Walkersm

Funny thing is this is such a gray area. Even in the rules it does not mention that the trade dress can even be in the windshield. Doors, roof or grille were the only areas detailed.

From the Rulemaking Document:
h. TNC vehicles shall display consistent trade dress (i.e., distinctive signage or display on the vehicle) when providing TNC services that is sufficiently large and color contrasted as to be readable during daylight hours at a distance of at least 50 feet. The trade dress shall be sufficient to allow a passenger, government official, or member of the public to associate a vehicle with a particular TNC (or licensed transportation provider). Acceptable forms of trade dress include, but are not limited to, symbols or signs on vehicle doors, roofs, or grills. Magnetic or removable trade dress is acceptable. TNC shall file a photograph of their trade dress with the Safety and Enforcement Division.

But whats funny is on the PUC site they have an example of the lighted UberU at night as the example of trade dress.
http://www.cpuc.ca.gov/NR/rdonlyres/E3010094-EA63-4141-998F-D9415B6270CF/0/TNCTradeDress_Rasier_dbaUber.pdf

If you had it on the dash just not propped up I sure hope Uber would help you with this one. That is a fine line of a law that is gray to begin with.

Walkersm

The PUC official at LAX will give you an "Offer in Compromise". First time offenders get this. You pay the $1000.00 fine and take the proof of payment to the impound yard and pay the $300.00 to get your car back. This dismisses the court case. No payment plans at LAX. They want all their money now.

Then submit all your proof of payments to Uber. All you can do is make a case that they are responsible because they did not give you enough information to follow the rules.

The 9400vc citation will most likely be disregarded as the DMV has said TNC do not need a commercial plate. Cops still writing for it anyway.

sidewazzz

The PUC official at LAX will give you an "Offer in Compromise". First time offenders get this. You pay the $1000.00 fine and take the proof of payment to the impound yard and pay the $300.00 to get your car back. This dismisses the court case. No payment plans at LAX. They want all their money now.

Then submit all your proof of payments to Uber. All you can do is make a case that they are responsible because they did not give you enough information to follow the rules.

The 9400vc citation will most likely be disregarded as the DMV has said TNC do not need a commercial plate. Cops still writing for it anyway.
Fight it... you don't have to pay the fine to fight it now. And base it one the grounds that we don't need commercial plate.

Walkersm

Fight it... you don't have to pay the fine to fight it now. And base it one the grounds that we don't need commercial plate.
True you do not have to pay for the fine to fight it but you also do not get your car back until you win or pay the final decided fine. At $45 a day that can add up as your court date is probably 30 days off. That's why everyone takes the offer in compromise on their first citation. After that you get no more offers and most loose their vehicle to the auction process after their court dates. That's one reason you never see any really new bandit taxis around town.

sidewazzz

True you do not have to pay for the fine to fight it but you also do not get your car back until you win or pay the final decided fine. At $45 a day that can add up as your court date is probably 30 days off. That's why everyone takes the offer in compromise on their first citation. After that you get no more offers and most loose their vehicle to the auction process after their court dates. That's one reason you never see any really new bandit taxis around town.
Totally get that but considering the citation code 9400 is very specific to commercial only. Which UBER has already been cleared as NOT COMMERCIAL. also the $1000 fee seems way off as fees are calculated by weight. And the only way $1000 fee would be applicable is if the Op was driving a semi according to the code.

Also this is copy and pasted from that code

(2) This subdivision does not apply to vehicles used or maintained
for the transportation of persons for hire, compensation or profit,
and tow trucks.

Now that right there already exempts us under this code.

There is no reason to not fight this ticket.

Last edited:

observer

Totally get that but considering the citation code 9400 is very specific to commercial only. Which UBER has already been cleared as NOT COMMERCIAL. also the $1000 fee seems way off as fees are calculated by weight. And the only way $1000 fee would be applicable is if the Op was driving a semi according to the code.

Also this is copy and pasted from that code

(2) This subdivision does not apply to vehicles used or maintained
for the transportation of persons for hire, compensation or profit,
and tow trucks.

Now that right there already exempts us under this code.

There is no reason to not fight this ticket.
The 1K fine is for not displaying trade dress properly.

Also, drivers can be fined anywhere for this not just at airport. Trade dress must be displayed app on to app off.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
RUSSREED2.0 Los Angeles & Orange County 12
TifoowAlegna Los Angeles & Orange County 2
M Los Angeles & Orange County 17