justaguy

I've been thinking about this a long time. I think I could take down the beast. Until recently, with the new payment breakdown, Uber had won a lawsuit that stated drivers were "independent contractors" and not employees. I know for a fact that Uber has been skimming off the top for as long as I've been driving (over a year). Drivers have agreed to take fares with Uber either taking, 20% 25% 30%. Uber shows drivers a price for the fare, but charges the pax more, so they take their percentage out of an already reduced fare. I know this happens each and every time. So based on Uber's language, I am an "independent contractor" with an agreed upon percentage taken out of the fare, and Uber is in breech of contract, or I am an employee that agrees to take rides that are offered to me from my employer. It can't be both. You see, if we are indeed contractors, the contract is the amount they claim to take out. We aren't aware of any price before we agree to drive, so this is the only contract possible. At the very least, it is part of the contract that Uber takes a agreed upon percentage minus the safety fee thing. I have been in many arguments with Uber over pay. They always give general responses that are vague. Every time I have asked them to clarify exactly why I was paid a certain amount, I send them a message stating, "write exactly why I was paid this amount, so I can take further action" and they have always paid me what I was asking. They know they are breaking laws.

d0n

That doesn't mean anything to me.
I've been thinking about this a long time. I think I could take down the beast. Until recently, with the new payment breakdown, Uber had won a lawsuit that stated drivers were "independent contractors" and not employees.

I know for a fact that Uber has been skimming off the top for as long as I've been driving (over a year). Drivers have agreed to take fares with Uber either taking, 20% 25% 30%. Uber shows drivers a price for the fare, but charges the pax more, so they take their percentage out of an already reduced fare. I know this happens each and every time.

So based on Uber's language, I am an "independent contractor" with an agreed upon percentage taken out of the fare, and Uber is in breech of contract, or I am an employee that agrees to take rides that are offered to me from my employer. It can't be both. You see, if we are indeed contractors, the contract is the amount they claim to take out. We aren't aware of any price before we agree to drive, so this is the only contract possible.

At the very least, it is part of the contract that Uber takes a agreed upon percentage minus the safety fee thing. I have been in many arguments with Uber over pay. They always give general responses that are vague. Every time I have asked them to clarify exactly why I was paid a certain amount, I send them a message stating, "write exactly why I was paid this amount, so I can take further action" and they have always paid me what I was asking. They know they are breaking laws.

justaguy

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
relax. Its not very long. if you want to nitpick, you made a paragraph break between sentences for the same argument.

justaguy

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
No. My comment is referring to your inadequate paragraphs. They are made haphazardly, to appeal to lazy readers. Look at all those scary words. Maybe respond to the issue at hand, troll.

Lr_fcb

It does if you want most people to read.
You read it well, so stop complaining

I've been thinking about this a long time. I think I could take down the beast. Until recently, with the new payment breakdown, Uber had won a lawsuit that stated drivers were "independent contractors" and not employees. I know for a fact that Uber has been skimming off the top for as long as I've been driving (over a year). Drivers have agreed to take fares with Uber either taking, 20% 25% 30%. Uber shows drivers a price for the fare, but charges the pax more, so they take their percentage out of an already reduced fare. I know this happens each and every time. So based on Uber's language, I am an "independent contractor" with an agreed upon percentage taken out of the fare, and Uber is in breech of contract, or I am an employee that agrees to take rides that are offered to me from my employer. It can't be both. You see, if we are indeed contractors, the contract is the amount they claim to take out. We aren't aware of any price before we agree to drive, so this is the only contract possible. At the very least, it is part of the contract that Uber takes a agreed upon percentage minus the safety fee thing. I have been in many arguments with Uber over pay. They always give general responses that are vague. Every time I have asked them to clarify exactly why I was paid a certain amount, I send them a message stating, "write exactly why I was paid this amount, so I can take further action" and they have always paid me what I was asking. They know they are breaking laws.
Interesting, we have to do something, im sick of this shit too

uberPutz

Why not go to P.A.C.E.R. website, sign up, get a pin code, and then for free, browse some of the hundreds of federal lawsuits Uber is already involved in, then you will have an idea of what was decided previously in the language with respect to things like contractors and previous driver ageements, then go from there.

Jagent

We are no longer independent contractors. As independent contractors, we are responsible for paying our own social security, we get no workman's comp, no unemployment insurance, etc... When Uber separated driver pay from passenger pay, they became an employer.

Example. ..

If I find work for you, in exchange for a percentage of your earnings, I am your agent and you are an independent contractor. This is how Uber previously treated drivers.

This also applies to:
Sports agents
Acting agents
Real estate agents
Entertainment booking agents

However,
If I charge for a service, then hire someone to do the actual work and pay them a flat fee that's unrelated to the price of the job, I'm now your employer. This describes Uber's new pay system.

This also applies to:
Temp Services
Automotive technicians
Roofing companies
EMT/Paramedics
Cable TV installers

Uber will eventually be noticed by Uncle Sam. Drivers are now employees. Uber is now responsible for withholding taxes, paying matching social security, workers comp, unemployment insurance, health insurance. .. Watch it happen.

uberPutz

We are no longer independent contractors. As independent contractors, we are responsible for paying our own social security, we get no workman's comp, no unemployment insurance, etc... When Uber separated driver pay from passenger pay, they became an employer.

Example. ..

If I find work for you, in exchange for a percentage of your earnings, I am your agent and you are an independent contractor. This is how Uber previously treated drivers.

This also applies to:
Sports agents
Acting agents
Real estate agents
Entertainment booking agents

However,
If I charge for a service, then hire someone to do the actual work and pay them a flat fee that's unrelated to the price of the job, I'm now your employer. This describes Uber's new pay system.

This also applies to:
Temp Services
Automotive technicians
Roofing companies
EMT/Paramedics
Cable TV installers

Uber will eventually be noticed by Uncle Sam. Drivers are now employees. Uber is now responsible for withholding taxes, paying matching social security, workers comp, unemployment insurance, health insurance. .. Watch it happen.
Makes sense. Would like to hear the counter argument by the legal team who allowed it to happen. I mean this isn't some willy nilly move, I would think it is a calculated move by Uber, so what is its argument

deee_sants

Uber are professional defendants. They steal, then settle for pennies on the dollar. A federal case and the CPUC need to get involved to get them nervous.