• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Lawmakers Move Forward On Uber, Lyft Regulations

Maven

Here are updates in the local news recently. Legislators are reviving last year's debate over regulating ride-hailing companies like Uber and Lyft.
For a discussion in this forum for what rideshare drivers would like to see in the legislation
https://uberpeople.net/threads/draft-legislation-for-connecticut-rideshare-regulations.143177/#post-2140488

What was actually discussed last year in the Connecticut State Legislature
https://www.cga.ct.gov/2016/rpt/pdf/2016-R-0011.pdf

Transportation network companies (TNCs), like Uber and Lyft, have disrupted the transportation status quo and presented a regulatory challenge because their services do not fit neatly into most existing regulations. TNCs use mobile applications that allow users to request rides from drivers listed on their app, most of whom use their own cars to give people rides. Taxi and livery companies view TNCs as a threat to their operations because they do not incur the same overhead and regulatory costs. TNCs contend that they provide a service people want

—a convenient, affordable ride
—and taxi companies are trying to block legitimate competition.

History

Uber began operating in Connecticut in 2014. Last year, the legislature considered a bill (sHB 6683 <https://www.cga.ct.gov/asp/cgabillstatus/cgabillstatus.asp?selBillType=Bill&which_year=2015&bill_num=6683>) to regulate TNCs. The bill passed the House but was never taken up in the Senate. The legislature may consider TNC regulation again this year. It may also consider how to incorporate ideas from other states (more than half of states have passed TNC legislation, many in the past year). It may also modify previous proposals to respond to changes in the TNC market, such as new carpooling features offered by some TNCs and ridesharing-specific policies offered by insurance companies.

Read OLR’s report:

2014-R-0173 <https://www.cga.ct.gov/2014/rpt/pdf/2014-R-0173.pdf>, Uber’s On-Demand Car Service

Atom guy

One of the things mentioned in the Courant article was limiting surge pricing in emergencies like storms and terrorist attacks. Well meaning, but this shows a total lack of understanding of how Uber works. Limiting surge in dangerous conditions will only limit the availability of drivers, putting more people in harms way.

One of the things mentioned in the Courant article was limiting surge pricing in emergencies like storms and terrorist attacks. Well meaning, but this shows a total lack of understanding of how Uber works. Limiting surge in dangerous conditions will only limit the availability of drivers, putting more people in harms way.
Good point. I will use that when talking with my senator about this.

Atom guy

Good point. I will use that when talking with my senator about this.
If anything there should be a minimum surge. I didn't go out on that last snow storm because the surge came and went all day, and I wasn't going to get caught taking regular fare rides in the snow. Perhaps an option for a customer to offer a bonus for an unattractive ride (like long distance pickups).

zerostars

This is an great point

In the last snow storm I drove for lyft

Why ?

Because with no surge price with uber in effect I figured I could at least hope to get some tips with Lyft - which I did

I got fewer rides but that was OK with me

Finally at the end I got a big non surge uber ride to Boston

At the end of the day if it is snowing there needs to be a surge to justify the risk of crashing your car and the added time needed to complete the rides

With all the new drivers on the road surge is nearly totally eliminated anyway

Now they have 2001 and newer cars and ex cons driving

Believe it or not - they have some dude in a bicycle delivering hot food on uber eats like 5 top 10 miles - I kid you not - "Hey customer your meal is stone cold but if you are a tree hugger you just saved 3 carbon credits and I burned 200 cals on the ride over"

Blunt power