Latest Promotion: Incentive to Not Drive?

Jinxstone

Everyone knew the guarantees wouldn't last forever and most thought they'd disappear soon after Uber reached a deal with City Council and Uber didn't waste any time. Earnings Boost is nowhere near as good as the guarantees were but they can at least do something if you live and drive only in the city. For those of us who start work in the suburbs this is a disaster. Even with the guarantees suburban drivers got pulled into the city and there really was no place to hide, even out here. Some days you got Uber with the guarantee and other days Uber got you and you drove all over but now Earnings Boost doesn't make it worthwhile to drive the suburbs. It's time to go back to the old strategy of looking for airport or city runs and then work Chicago. That will hurt service in a lot of suburban areas as drivers concentrate on wealthier suburbs like Naperville, Oak Brook, Lake Forest, Winnetka and others while ignoring pings from places like Round Lake, Wheeling, Prospect Heights and other working class suburbs. The chance of getting a Pool ride from a suburban mall just disappeared. Why pick up someone you know is likely going a short distance when you have a better chance of getting into Chicago and making decent money from somewhere else? After all the shouting Uber did about providing service to the South and West sides they excluded those areas from Boost so people there better update their bus passes. Same goes for the morning commute in the suburbs. Who in their right mind would come out and accept Pool rides to the train station or office? It's time to only work mornings on good airport days again and screen requests in order to take ones from more affluent neighborhoods while ignoring the apartment complexes. There's no knowing how long Earnings Boost will last but it looks like there are some grim days ahead for drivers and riders. Boost might be acceptable if it covered the entire metropolitan region but as it stands this will likely reduce the number of drivers and negatively impact most riders in the region.

Sure

Everyone knew the guarantees wouldn't last forever and most thought they'd disappear soon after Uber reached a deal with City Council and Uber didn't waste any time. Earnings Boost is nowhere near as good as the guarantees were but they can at least do something if you live and drive only in the city. For those of us who start work in the suburbs this is a disaster. Even with the guarantees suburban drivers got pulled into the city and there really was no place to hide, even out here. Some days you got Uber with the guarantee and other days Uber got you and you drove all over but now Earnings Boost doesn't make it worthwhile to drive the suburbs. It's time to go back to the old strategy of looking for airport or city runs and then work Chicago. That will hurt service in a lot of suburban areas as drivers concentrate on wealthier suburbs like Naperville, Oak Brook, Lake Forest, Winnetka and others while ignoring pings from places like Round Lake, Wheeling, Prospect Heights and other working class suburbs. The chance of getting a Pool ride from a suburban mall just disappeared. Why pick up someone you know is likely going a short distance when you have a better chance of getting into Chicago and making decent money from somewhere else? After all the shouting Uber did about providing service to the South and West sides they excluded those areas from Boost so people there better update their bus passes. Same goes for the morning commute in the suburbs. Who in their right mind would come out and accept Pool rides to the train station or office? It's time to only work mornings on good airport days again and screen requests in order to take ones from more affluent neighborhoods while ignoring the apartment complexes. There's no knowing how long Earnings Boost will last but it looks like there are some grim days ahead for drivers and riders. Boost might be acceptable if it covered the entire metropolitan region but as it stands this will likely reduce the number of drivers and negatively impact most riders in the region.
It is possible to make the south and west surge more, as most drivers will be in the zone now? That's what happened in downtown LA, they put all those drivers in a box, and the rest of those areas outside that box seems to surge now. I'm not saying it's going to happen, but it's possible.

But I completely agree with you, as soon as Uber got is way, they screw the south and west. Just wish the stupid aldermen would have seen that coming, I'm not even surprised at the speed in which Uber made the move.

mkxr

I'm in the same situation, in the burbs. The guarantees made it easier to work in the burbs, and even with guarantees you could earn more per hour, as you often can get a morning ohare trip. Over the last few weeks I've picked up/dropped off many passengers in Montgommery, Waukonda, Woodstock, etc. Now I'm going to avoid trips to the far burbs, as the demand is low there. With the hourly guarantee at least you felt like you were still getting paid to drive back into a zone with demand, and I've heard so many great comments from riders like: "it's great that you guys are out here," but it seems now we are enticed to drive to the 'boost' zone. The problem with the boost zone is that everyone will head there, and the suburbs will again be under-served. It does seem like Uber wanted drivers to make more money during last few weeks, so that we would lobby against that new proposed ride-share ordinance, and now that that's over, our voice is no longer needed.

antisoshal

IM a little confused. I opted into 30$ an hour for this weekend through Tuesday, then got the notice about the boost thing. I figured they were coincident and the boost only applied if you didnt get the hourly. I didnt really even understand what the boost thing was talking about.

antisoshal

This is pasted from the email I got and opted in to:
Week of June 27th
Your hourly guarantees
06/27 $33/hour
Monday 6am—10am
06/27 $30/hour
Monday 3pm—12am
06/28 $30/hour
Tuesday 6am—10am
06/28 $30/hour
Tuesday 3pm—10pm
06/29 $30/hour
Wednesday 6am—10am
06/29 $30/hour
Wednesday 3pm—12am
06/30 $30/hour
Thursday 6am—10am
06/30 $33/hour
Thursday 3pm—12am
07/01 $30/hour
Friday 6am—10am

antisoshal

Looking at the two, I suspect the hourly will continue for us, and the boost will be a way for them to start charging more to the pax?

75drive

This is pasted from the email I got and opted in to:
Week of June 27th
Your hourly guarantees
06/27 $33/hour
Monday 6am—10am
06/27 $30/hour
Monday 3pm—12am
06/28 $30/hour
Tuesday 6am—10am
06/28 $30/hour
Tuesday 3pm—10pm
06/29 $30/hour
Wednesday 6am—10am
06/29 $30/hour
Wednesday 3pm—12am
06/30 $30/hour
Thursday 6am—10am
06/30 $33/hour
Thursday 3pm—12am
07/01 $30/hour
Friday 6am—10am
That blows my guarantee was $38 Monday and $35 with the exception of Thursday night $38. The weekend guarantees are lower this week but I suspect it'll be easy to make more anyway. It well be interesting to see the weekday guarantees for next week.

antisoshal

App is borked agsin. Was online for ab hour but no pings and it was showing no surge in the loop on friday at 5. Restarted phone and now it wont sign on let alone go online

RexLongs

I'm not into Uber conspiry theories, but last night I sat in Wicker Park, surrounded by people...no pings for over an hour. And this was from about 9:15pm-10:30 pm. This was just enough to make sure I missed the hourly guarantee by two rides. I carry two phones and I signed into my Uber Rider app to see if I could see my vehicle on the map. It was there. I had full bars and full data service. Very frustrating, but there is nothing I can do to prove some shady stuff was going on here. Pings were coming in hot and heavy before 9:15pm and then came to a screeching halt. Then they started back up around 10:30pm, with unusually long rides. Oh well...my days with Uber are nearing an end too. Driving for Uber is like dating a very immature girl that never gives you a straight answer and is very hard to trust. It's a shame because I used to really enjoy doing this. Oh well, this was just a income source while I was in training at another job. Thank god my other job is taking off and going extremely well. I like the extra cash aspect of this so I might check out Lyft though after the summer. They have the sign on bonus of 4 weeks of $1,500 weekly guarantees for a month. After that, i'll probably retire from the business unless and honest, more consistent company comes around.

PRC

Boost might be acceptable if it covered the entire metropolitan region but as it stands this will likely reduce the number of drivers and negatively impact most riders in the region.
What you have just described here is called "price increase". Yes, and we all would love to see it here. :smiles:

Tommy San

I worked the guarantee out in the suburbs for seven hours. $32 per hour and I took the absolute minimum rides. I cancelled two out of fourteen. One was a pool, waited two minutes: cancel. The other cancel was some dumb ass teenagers in Arlington Heights who put their pin in the middle of a festival. Drove around the thing twice while they are calling me saying they are at some garage. I say I don't know where that is and they tell me to google it. I say, "sure." I cancel and state wrong address. Do cancelling in these situations count against your acceptance for guarantees? I don't think they do, but just curious.

pizza guy

Holidays can be a pain in the ass. Better tips but more difficult riders. I hope they get screwed by reducing the guarantee. People working holidays deserve to earn more.

Sure

I worked the guarantee out in the suburbs for seven hours. $32 per hour and I took the absolute minimum rides. I cancelled two out of fourteen. One was a pool, waited two minutes: cancel. The other cancel was some dumb ass teenagers in Arlington Heights who put their pin in the middle of a festival. Drove around the thing twice while they are calling me saying they are at some garage. I say I don't know where that is and they tell me to google it. I say, "sure." I cancel and state wrong address. Do cancelling in these situations count against your acceptance for guarantees? I don't think they do, but just curious.
They shouldn't count against you, but sadly, I think they do. Because Uber sucks.

SomeDrivingGuy

They shouldn't count against you, but sadly, I think they do. Because Uber sucks.
They won't. It is equivalent to a rider no show, wrong address, or other.

Cancelled on my last rider during a guarantee. I knew they'd rerequest so I hit go offline, it asked if I was sure. Waited a bit, the request returned, hit "sure go offline", and ping avoided while my guarantee was paid, with a small cancel fee. I know it gets in the way, but I can use it on top of the incoming ping, or maybe got lucky.