Late to pick up/drop off - Final Warning

Zenwave

This morning I woke up to a not-so-friendly email from UberEats saying:

"We are writing to let you know that last week, for the second time, you had multiple pickups and/or dropoffs that were significantly late. Unfortunately, if you have one more week with multiple arrivals that are significantly late, you’ll lose access to the Uber partner app."

Has anyone else ever had this message before?

Will I really be deactivated on my third strike or is it a scare tactic? I only have a total of two late complaints with over 100 deliveries. 91% satisfaction rate. I'm only a month in so I'm still fairly new.

What is the ETA that customers are given?

It's hard to be fast when restaurants are dragging their feet sometimes. I know I can just cancel an order if the wait is too long, but I've read that too many of those can also lead to deactivation.

It feels like I'm just going down a road that inevitably leads to deactivation no matter what I'll do.

notmyfavoritething

Probably. I was deactivated from doing deliveries (though they thought it was fine to pick up people) and then I had to go to the hub where they look at my ratings and my three complaints from the one guy with confusing instructions and try to figure out what that had to do with anything. They finally decided it was a glitch, but only after going online and finding four other people with similar problems. So, they fixed it and I went back to work.

I guess if I had actually done something they wouldn't have fixed it and they would have gone on without me cause they have plenty of other drivers.

I got another warning later that didn't make any sense, after I cancelled an order when my car wouldn't start. They wouldn't take that off of my record even after I brought receipts for repair work, but they said it was probably a bunch of other things after an audit. They didn't seem to think that the one warning was any big deal. Just try to do better. Like I can do better. I don't make the customers not answer their phones and such. Have the right address, complete address and gate codes and such, and answer your phone just in case, and you'll get your food unless my car won't start or I'm in an accident or I've been sent to the other side of Dallas or something. There is really nothing better to be done on my part.

Hit order not ready the moment you say you are with UberEats and not handed the food.

Contact the customer through the app as soon as you hit the pin on the map and no one is there to catch the food out the window.

App doesn't know or care about 10 mins sitting in a lobby or 5 mins circling around an apartment complex. It only knows you took 15mins longer than an algorithm said it should have taken.

uberboy1212

This morning I woke up to a not-so-friendly email from UberEats saying:

"We are writing to let you know that last week, for the second time, you had multiple pickups and/or dropoffs that were significantly late. Unfortunately, if you have one more week with multiple arrivals that are significantly late, you’ll lose access to the Uber partner app."

Has anyone else ever had this message before?

Will I really be deactivated on my third strike or is it a scare tactic? I only have a total of two late complaints with over 100 deliveries. 91% satisfaction rate. I'm only a month in so I'm still fairly new.

What is the ETA that customers are given?

It's hard to be fast when restaurants are dragging their feet sometimes. I know I can just cancel an order if the wait is too long, but I've read that too many of those can also lead to deactivation.

It feels like I'm just going down a road that inevitably leads to deactivation no matter what I'll do.
Ive never received a warning in over 1.5 years I dont understand how you get this after 100 orders. I feel like UE gives you the most leeway compared to the other gigs. Have you been running multiple apps together?

As a general observation of my neck of the woods, I think there is a huge shortage of Uber Eats drivers. (I can't imagine why.) So Uber now either can raise rates to entice new drivers - or - they can sit idly by and let the customer blame the drivers (either by downvoting or by withholding tips). Hmmm what would Uber do in this situation?

Mel78

I am also fairly new to Uber Eats (I really wanted to be an Uber driver but I only get pings for deliveries) and I also just received the dreaded lateness/cancellation/did not deliver to door message. This is what I don't understand and have made 2 inquiries to Uber so far: I work the evening/late night hours (7pm - 7am). 1. Many restaurants, especially the fast food establishments like McDonalds or Burger King, close their dining rooms/counter service at 12:00 am. This requires the driver to either wait on the drive thru line, which could be a nightmare depending on who's in front of you, or you are told at the order window to get off the line and wait on the side until they call you, which also could be a nightmare. Either scenario ensures that you will be late delivering. 2. Uber sends me to deliver in some neighborhoods that are scary to walk through in the daytime much less after hours. I will not walk into a tenement walk-up, with the broken front door, at 3:00 am to deliver a cheeseburger and 10 chicken nuggets to provide door side service. Call me a prude, but there are folks who hide behind staircases with the intention of inflicting bodily harm on delivery personnel under the assumption that they might have some money on them. Sorry, since my safety is worth slightly more than the $4 fee that I might make on this delivery, I'll wait for the customer to come down. 3. Can anyone let me know how long to wait for a customer to retrieve their order? When I get to the building, since it's late, I usually send a text notifying the customer that I have arrived. I wait 3-4 minutes. Then I call the customer. Many times I get their voicemail and I leave a message, but oft times either the voicemail box is full or it's not set up. In either case, if I don't speak to the customer, I hit the button on the app that indicates that you could not contact the customer and would like Uber to contact them. This activates the countdown timer (5 minutes). Now after the timer is done Uber gives me an option to cancel. By this time I've already been waiting 10-15 minutes or more. There were a few times where I have waited over 20 minutes and cancelled only to be penalized for doing so. I have now gotten a message from Uber alleging fraudulent use of the app and suspending quick pay privileges. Does anyone know what is the "accepted" waiting time for a customer without being penalized for cancelling. Subsequent activity pings will not be sent until you finalize the current one. I've asked Uber twice for clarification; the first response was a stock pre-packaged answer about how restaurants/clients depend on Uber...yadda yadda ya. Hopefully I'll get a better answer the second go 'round.

Sorry readers for the length of this post, but I'm sure I'm not the only one experiencing this dilemma. Oh, for those that are thinking "Why don't you just change your hours?" Uber Eats is my supplemental job.

Any suggestions/comments are always appreciated. Thanks.

notmyfavoritething

No, where would I find it?
Sometimes, I just see it while I am driving. If you go to the set a destination thing (which doesn't work, so don't actually try to use it) you should either see a car with a green circle around it and something like "open to all trips", or just part of a red circle that says "open to some trips." Mine is the part of a red circle, cause I only do UberEats. I turned off UberX. I did that on purpose. Sometimes I accidentally turn it on and get ride pings by mistake. So, if you are only getting delivery pings and you wanted ride pings, you might have accidentally turned off UberX and you need to reset. Hit the symbol that looks like a gear and check Uber X.

After you do that, later you can also uncheck the delivery option at whatever time you start worrying about the situation you described, and you shouldn't get anymore pings for restaurants and won't get stuck at McDonalds. And if you forget you can always cancel once you see them sending you to a McDonalds you don't want to go to. Then you just switch back to doing both the next day, if you want to do both.

If you don't see any of that stuff, you may have signed up for UberEats alone by mistake. I can't imagine that you would get absolutely no pings for riders if there isn't something wrong. Even I get one once in a while by mistake.

Not sure it is safe to pick up riders that late either, but at least you won't be going inside buildings you think are not safe.

Mel78

Ok, here's the response I got from Uber today (via Manuel):

"Regarding this matter, please be informed that you do not need to wait at the drop-off location for an extended period. Please wait at the drop-off location for 5 minutes and attempt to call at least 3 times. If you're unable to contact them, you can dispose of the food. Then, cancel the trip in the app and select "Unable to locate the eater", so that you'll still be compensated."

Well, that's what I did each time (one text, one call from me, one from Uber) and I was still flagged. We'll see.

I got this message like 2 weeks ago. Either take a break from UE or just start stealing the food on every order.
Thank's PoopingOwl. I needed the chuckle.

Sometimes, I just see it while I am driving. If you go to the set a destination thing (which doesn't work, so don't actually try to use it) you should either see a car with a green circle around it and something like "open to all trips", or just part of a red circle that says "open to some trips." Mine is the part of a red circle, cause I only do UberEats. I turned off UberX. I did that on purpose. Sometimes I accidentally turn it on and get ride pings by mistake. So, if you are only getting delivery pings and you wanted ride pings, you might have accidentally turned off UberX and you need to reset. Hit the symbol that looks like a gear and check Uber X.
Thank you for the info Notmyfavoritething, I will try what you suggested.