Last ride of the night

twobucca2

Obviously this is for those who don't have the destination filter yet. Do you ever call pax and see if they're going in your direction? And if they're not, you cancel the trip and tell him/her to request another Uber?

sekani

One night I trying to log off near the North Hollywood Metro station, I accidentally accepted a ping. I took it, because why not, and it ended up being a trip to Agoura Hills, 30 minutes in the wrong direction.

I learned my lesson. I don't care where anyone is going, when I'm done, I cancel everything.

Tedgey

Obviously this is for those who don't have the destination filter yet. Do you ever call pax and see if they're going in your direction? And if they're not, you cancel the trip and tell him/her to request another Uber?
No. If I'm done driving I log off and go home. I've taken I don't know how many Uber rides, 15 or so not a ton, but I can't imagine how irritated it would make me to have somebody call me and tell me they don't want to drive me where I'm going. Then why'd you accept the job then? And I understand how it works. A lot of these pax have no idea how this works and I think that kind of thing would come off as clownish to most people, even more seasoned riders.

Having said that I think everyone would be better served if Uber would just tell us the destination with the ping. Yes drivers would cherry pick rides but there are so many different opinions on what the best types of rides are, there are so many different drivers living all over Southern California with so many different incentive plans, if I don't want to pick somebody up for a 1 mile ride, it won't be long before they find somebody who does. And if a driver doesn't like leaving the core can just not accept the ping rather than telling the pax that at the pickup and the cancelling, all the better.

LASAC_BER

Same. I have ridden enough to know i'd be irritated by a call with a decline after it as well, i know ideally that's how the ridesharing platform should work, but we all know we are really employees...

I just log off and head home.

eman1122

Same. I just log off. I don't know how many times I've left the app on as I'm wrapping up and I get a ping, accept it, and I'm headed deeper back than I was before. When you're sure you're done, just log off.

twobucca2

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Same. I have ridden enough to know i'd be irritated by a call with a decline after it as well, i know ideally that's how the ridesharing platform should work, but we all know we are really employees...

I just log off and head home.
Right. But it's not like they're ever going to know who you are. As far as they know, you're just some random driver.

twobucca2

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
No. If I'm done driving I log off and go home. I've taken I don't know how many Uber rides, 15 or so not a ton, but I can't imagine how irritated it would make me to have somebody call me and tell me they don't want to drive me where I'm going. Then why'd you accept the job then? And I understand how it works. A lot of these pax have no idea how this works and I think that kind of thing would come off as clownish to most people, even more seasoned riders.

Having said that I think everyone would be better served if Uber would just tell us the destination with the ping. Yes drivers would cherry pick rides but there are so many different opinions on what the best types of rides are, there are so many different drivers living all over Southern California with so many different incentive plans, if I don't want to pick somebody up for a 1 mile ride, it won't be long before they find somebody who does. And if a driver doesn't like leaving the core can just not accept the ping rather than telling the pax that at the pickup and the cancelling, all the better.
I agree with this latter statement 100%. God forbid we are actually on rides we want to take. Not sure what the harm in knowing where the rider is headed is.

Having said that, I refuse to get pulled out of core for my last ride of the night. I feel stupid when I let this happen to me. Especially knowing that all I had to do was give them a quick call. And if it's at night, they typically aren't in some crazy rush. If they are in a hurry, tough. There are very few ways the system looks out for the rider. If I can work an angle, while somewhat shady, to make life easier on myself, why not do it?