Last nights Wack Job!

OldUncleDave

Last night. Excuse me for the long story, but I really should set this up.

Pick-up is the end of a cul-de-sac. After waiting a minute, I text, "I've arrived" and the address. 2 minutes later (3 on the timer) I get the "I'm holding up my phone" message. WTF??? I look around, no one. The street is a block long, so I drive the block, and come back. Nope! Nobody!

One more minute ( 4 and a half on the timer) and the front door opens. Pax gets to the car and tries to open the door. "You need to have a mask" I tell him.

"It's in my pocket". He tries the door again.

" You need your mask on!"

"It's in my pocket!" He tries door.

"I reach for the phone, and say, " Put your mask on!"

He pulls out his mask and puts it on. I unlock the door, "You didn't have to yell".

" sir, I asked you 3 times for your mask. That was your last chance before I left."

On route, "Can you stop at 7-11?"

"Only if you add the stop on the app"

"Why not?"

"Because I don't get paid for stopping unless it's on the app"

He adds the stop. Goes in and buys a pack of cigarettes.

"Do you want a $100 tip?"

Sure

"Answer a question. Are you voting for Trump?"

"I don't want your money!"

Next 3 miles, he is badgering me, Answer the Question! Why won't you tell me! Are you ashamed?

I get to drop off, and he keeps talking. I finally reach for my phone and tell him I'm calling the police if he doesn't get out right now. He keeps talking until I hit the button, then he leaves.

I 1* him, I'm sure he 1* me also.

RideShare_Hustler

1602105554631.jpeg

Volvonaut

Weird, I had my rudest drunk in a while play this game with me too. Dangling a $25 tip to tell everyone I know vote for Trump! The old timer had me pegged for a liberal because my hair is too wild and despite surprising the hell out of him he was too drunk to accept my answer or me for that matter! Too drunk to tip in the app as well, just like all the rest. But what really hurt was he stuck his head in the door and said once more I need to cut my hair. You know to be taken seriously by his echo chamber. AND he didn’t stumble back out with my free MAGA hat.

bone-aching-work

Seriously considering a blanket policy of insta-cancelling and pulling over to eject pax if they try bringing up the election mid-ride.

For pete's sake I'm just a driver. We all have a list of personal problems a mile long, but so many people think they have The Answers to problems that vex society. @@@@ outta here.

losiglow

I was fine with political discussions a few months back but I've gotten exhausted. It's the same old garbage over and over again. At this point, I can't wait until it's over. Although I have my preferences and I'm still going to vote how I'm going to vote, I'm not even caring who wins at this point. I just want it to end.

Vote Libertarian and piss everyone off.

That's what I did in 2016. Voted for Gary Johnson. :laugh: Not necessarily to piss people off - just because I couldn't bring myself to vote for the other two. Most people (who were reasonable.....) understood where I was coming from when we had the choice of a wildcard, borderline unstable narcissist vs. crooked career politician.

Last edited:

34-Methoxyzacko

Actually i just have this theory that 99% Of the absolute insanity occurs between last call and 4:00 am.

I was just randomly guessing.

Oh, that is more than a theory. 😅
It gets weird, indeed.

Pre-corona, I would generate >50% of my RS income (on average) between 1:50-2:35AM and 3:55-4:25AM. It came with struggles, but when a combined 75min (w/adequate room for a break in the 3AM hr) would consistently perform that well, year-round (in all 3 major markets I’ve driven) it becomes a risk one may decide to take.

Post-corona (or I should say “Mid-Corona,” as we’re definitely still “there” in the US of A) has rendered a dynamic whereby my MO has been significantly altered for the first time since two specific changes were forced upon us, now long-ago:
1.) The % based PDB was taken
2.) Gryft stole the PrimeTime model

...and with the Corona-age comes a third:
3.) Any hopes for pre-accept trip data now carry the prerequisite of absolute fiscal stupidity.
**this was not always the case for me, as I simply utilized app-functionality to retain insight; such is no longer possible without making for a long, frustrating night, IMHO.

With the majority of my trips having been initiated/completed within said timeframe— my data says you are: CORRECT! 😅

It’s nutty during those hours. Nutty people are often desperate. As such, unicorns often originate in said timeframe, and are essential for those of us who simply cannot bring ourselves to go “full-ant” again, aiming to achieve more with less. 🤷🏻

Even still— of pax I’ve ejected, vomiters, and otherwise complete PITA-pax... these fall on the fringes, IME (11:20pm & 4:50am, admittedly a small sample). Pukers have tended to occur pre-1AM for me, and I’ve experienced more troubling/frustrating issues in the 10:30PM-1:30AM timeframe than any other, overall.
I also suspect there is market-dependence factored in as well, as is almost always the case.

The Gift of Fish

Last night. Excuse me for the long story, but I really should set this up.

Pick-up is the end of a cul-de-sac. After waiting a minute, I text, "I've arrived" and the address. 2 minutes later (3 on the timer) I get the "I'm holding up my phone" message. WTF??? I look around, no one. The street is a block long, so I drive the block, and come back. Nope! Nobody!

One more minute ( 4 and a half on the timer) and the front door opens. Pax gets to the car and tries to open the door. "You need to have a mask" I tell him.

"It's in my pocket". He tries the door again.

" You need your mask on!"

"It's in my pocket!" He tries door.

"I reach for the phone, and say, " Put your mask on!"

He pulls out his mask and puts it on. I unlock the door, "You didn't have to yell".

" sir, I asked you 3 times for your mask. That was your last chance before I left."

On route, "Can you stop at 7-11?"

"Only if you add the stop on the app"

"Why not?"

"Because I don't get paid for stopping unless it's on the app"

He adds the stop. Goes in and buys a pack of cigarettes.

"Do you want a $100 tip?"

Sure

"Answer a question. Are you voting for Trump?"

"I don't want your money!"

Next 3 miles, he is badgering me, Answer the Question! Why won't you tell me! Are you ashamed?

I get to drop off, and he keeps talking. I finally reach for my phone and tell him I'm calling the police if he doesn't get out right now. He keeps talking until I hit the button, then he leaves.

I 1* him, I'm sure he 1* me also.
You lost me at 4:30 on the timer.

Cdub2k

Excuse me for the short story,
Pick-up is the end of a cul-de-sac. After waiting a minute, I text, "I've arrived" and the address. 2 minutes later (3 on the timer) I get the "I'm holding up my phone" message. WTF??? I look around, no one. I wait 2 more minutes and collect my shuffle fee
Awkward ride adverted!