Uber Drivers Forum banner
  • If you have joined UberPeople.net because your Uber account was hacked, you've likely been taken in by a scam. Please read this before starting a thread on this subject.

Last Night's Drunk Guy Just showed up at my front door!!!

24K views 334 replies 105 participants last post by  Rakos 
#1 ·
I can't believe what just happened.

Bastard drunk paxfrom the last ride of the night just used "find my phone" app and shows up on my doorstep unannounced to collect his phone from in between seats.

This is not cool. I have young kids here and don't want random drunk people just showing up knocking on my door.

#2 ·
Yeah that's crazy! To prevent that from happening, I always check the back seats or wherever the pax was sitting after I drop them off, that is if I'm in a safe zone to do that. Always make sure that your pax has left nothing behind. Definitely contact Uber about that situation, I don't know how much they would do but I think showing up at a driver's personal house is fair enough for a suspension. That's not cool at all.

#7 ·
I'd be ok if the passenger would need to get a new phone. I wouldn't be ok if one showed up at my door unexpectedly. My family's safety is way more important than this pax's temporary inconvenience going without a cell phone. You would hope pax would be sensitive to that, but obviously it's not the case.

A stranger can go to your front door anytime, it doesn't have to be a pax. However, if that can be minimized, the safer my family is.

#10 ·
This is not cool. I have young kids here and don't want random drunk people just showing up knocking on my door.
I can understand why this might be a surprise. But he's not exactly a random drunk person. You gave him a ride in your car for some period of time last night. So that established a relationship, like it or not. If I left my phone in an uber I'd have done the exact same thing.

#11 ·
That's bullshit. A 20 minute drive is not a substantive relationship, and it is certainly not an open invitation to visit MY HOME where young children live.

Drivers should have a reasonable expectation of privacy. Would you go over to your mail carriers house if you thought he had something of value that wasn't delivered??? Would you chase down the UPS guy at his house?

I wasn't aware that my home was Uber's place of business. Didn't remember reading that in the Terms.

#14 ·
That's bullshit. A 20 minute drive is not a substantive relationship, and it is certainly not an open invitation to visit MY HOME where young children live.

Drivers should have a reasonable expectation of privacy. Would you go over to your mail carriers house if you thought he had something of value that wasn't delivered??? Would you chase down the UPS guy at his house?

I wasn't aware that my home was Uber's place of business. Didn't remember reading that in the Terms.
His phone was in your car. He wanted it back. You're really over-reacting.

#12 ·
Wow. Thank you for posting this. I am fortunate this has not happened to me. Nobody has a right to show up at your house. Not cool. They should contact Uber and go through the appropriate process for lost items.

The phones that have been left behind in my car are usually found when they start ringing. I immediately turn them off. Not so the person can't track their lost phone, but so they don't show up at my other job or home.

I will be sure to check in between and under seats when I get home from now on. Also, I don't answer the door if I'm not expecting a visitor but mostly to avoid political door knockers canvassing.

#19 ·

Bastard drunk paxfrom the last ride of the night just used "find my phone" app and shows up on my doorstep unannounced to collect his phone from in between seats.

This same thing happened to me. Except he was with 2 buddies. Told him that it was strange for him to just show up unannounced. I now check my car before I get home and turn off any phones I find.

#20 · (Edited)
Interesting comments. Some really dense people out here.

Not over-reacting. I just prefer people contact me through the app rather than show up and harass my family at my house.

It is the principle of the matter. I am happy to give a LOST phone back if they contact me through the app. I'd even drop it off to them free of charge.

But they shouldn't just show up on my doorstep and expect me to hop to at their insistence. Not a good move.

#23 ·
Intersting comments. Some really dense people out here.

Not over-reacting. I just prefer people contact me through the app rather than show up and harass my family at my house.

It is the principle of the matter. I am happy to give a LOST phone back if they contact me through the app. I'd even drop it off to them free of charge.

But they shouldn't just show up on my doorstep and expect me to hop to at their insistence. Not a good move.
How do they contact you, their last uber driver, through their app in their phone that's in your car? iPhonesa could cost $600 out of pocket, yea Im gonna go get it...

#25 ·
next time JD1 , thoroughly search your car for any random items when you're done driving.

I understand how you feel because I sure as hell wouldn't want some obnoxious and hungover idiot on my doorstep either.

Do what I do: if you find a lost item just discard it. Doesn't matter if you drop it off at the police station, or on the side of the street somewhere. Beyond the transaction (ride) it's not your responsibility to babysit careless pax and their lost 'toys'.

#318 ·
where in the post did he say the pax was OBNOXIOUS AND HUNGOVER OR AN IDIOT? OMG, that's insane how things get twisted around. THAT'S OBNOXIOUS. The guy wanted his phone, didn't make a scene, had no other reason to be there except to pick up his phone, and I'm sure he left within 30 seconds of ringing the doorbell and getting his phone. What is the big deal about saying "yes, I found it, I'm glad to be able to give it back to you" and then ask him "did you have a good night?" Keep it light, and move one. Geez loueeze. People are so up tight. I'm not feeling some of the responses on here. I never saw this as a safety issue. If you worry about this, you must be worried about the car that breaks down in front of your neighbor's house one day. Are they stalking out the area for a break-in? HE RAN OUT OF GAS!

#27 · (Edited)
I appreciate everyone's advice. Some good ideas here.

Yes, obvious now after the fact that the best way to prevent is to do a thorough check of the car. I would guess that a majority of drivers do not do this simple thing. Sometimes dark phones go into dark holes though, which is what happened here. I have an all black interior, so stuff disappears easily.

I've done 1300 trips, had probably 15 lost items in my car, including several phones. I've always worked it out with people over the phone, and met them at a safe location to return lost items. Never would consider throwing a piece of property in the lake/river/harbor/ocean - bad karma and bad for the environment.

So I guess we should all just accept this new public-facing reality. Uber should make it easier for pax and their buddies to come on over, and just go ahead and share our home addresses with everyone. That way, anytime someone wants, they can drop by our homes. We all, and our families, have a "relationship" with them, so that makes it perfectly justafiable.

#30 ·
So I guess we should all just accept this new public-facing reality. Uber should make it easier for pax and their buddies to come on over, and just go ahead and share our home addresses with everyone. That way, anytime someone wants, they can drop by our homes. We all, and our families, have a "relationship" with them, so that makes it perfectly justafiable.
The only way the person can track the whereabouts of his phone is through apps such as "find friend" or "find my iPhone". The pax probably acted quick before the battery goes dead and who knows what else. I don't like defending Uber for anything, but Uber probably never told the guy about any of your contact information. Uber protects our privacy and wouldn't simply hand out our names and addresses to whoever wishes to obtain them. There are laws and you can sue and win if this ever happens. Also, you are not so paranoid when these drunks are in your car, in a small space with you but you act like this is so horribly wrong if they come and knock on your door requesting their lost item? I don't get it.

#28 ·

Still better than pax acting like a jerk, demanding that you bring the phone to his house and then not tipping you for all your efforts.

Was the pax sorry that he had to do this? Did he act like he accepted that this was his mistake and he was fixing it? Did he apologize for having to come to your house? If yes, I don't think there is anything bad to complain about. Our phones are very important and many of us cannot do without them.

#34 ·
UberXTampa

But Uber should really just go ahead and volunteer our personal information, including our home address. Whats wrong with people coming over to the house right? We should be fine with it.

While they are here, might as well have them come inside for a coffee and introduce them to the family. It would be the well-mannered thing to do after all. And if they are hungry, get them a slice of your wife's peach cobbler and offer to shine their shoes while they are at it. It is part of the deal and we should all just lay back and take it.

#36 ·
If the OP had refused to answer his door I guarantee you that would not have been the end of it. The guy would come back and keep pursuing it, probably with the police. Give him back the stupid phone and be done with it.
Bringing the police would have been smarter. Then there's less chance for an altercation. PAX is a complete ass.

If you leave something in a cab or Uber car, there's a simple procedure for reclaiming it. First go through the cab company or Uber. Secondly, go through the local police.

#38 ·
You're really going to waste the time of a police officer in order to retrieve your phone you left in an Uber?

I'd be more offended if a PAX decided they needed to bring law enforcement with them to retrieve a device they left in my car that I wasn't aware of.

What a waste of tax dollars...

The passenger obviously had access to a computer or another phone because he was able to track his lost phone. I think either of those two devices could be used to contact support and report the lost item.
Our phone are part of our lives. It not only has credit card information, it has personal information, banking information... personal and business emails, important contacts... how long are you expected to have to wait to go through Uber lost and found when you have an ability to use the lost phone tool to retrieve it immediately?

I'm sorry, I would not be offended if a pax tracked down their lost phone to my house. It's better than me finding it and having to go out of my way to give it to someone. If I lost my phone, I'd done the same thing...

#37 ·
Some people are really getting paranoid now a days. Someone lost something in a persons vehicle and there is a way to locate it. If you're really worried about every knock on your door then answer your door every time with one of these.
People think everyone is out to get them these days.

We pretty much live in the safest time this country has even known and people are frightened of their own shadows.

#40 ·
UberXTampa

But Uber should really just go ahead and volunteer our personal information, including our home address. Whats wrong with people coming over to the house right? We should be fine with it.

While they are here, might as well have them come inside for a coffee and introduce them to the family. It would be the well-mannered thing to do after all. And if they are hungry, get them a slice of your wife's peach cobbler and offer to shine their shoes while they are at it. It is part of the deal and we should all just lay back and take it.
WWJD? Or for that matter Abraham inviting the traveler into his home, not realizing the latter was The Lord?

Do you rant at Jehovah's Witnesses, Girl Scouts, Census takers, and political lobbyists coming to your door?

Actually, Uber's place of business IS your house. You're their contractor. Your place of business is where you, your car and phone are located.

You make it sound like the mafia shot up your house where, as Michael Corleone ranted in The Godfather, "my children play with their toys."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.