1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Last Night -- Palm Springs UBER IMPERSONATOR

Discussion in 'Inland Empire & Riverside County' started by Don Oldenburg, Sep 12, 2015.

1. Don Oldenburg

Don Oldenburg Active Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Had something happen last night that didn't sit real well with me, So I dug deeper....

Last night, I had a pick-up request for UberX at the Ace Hotel in Palm Springs. I arrive, and turned on my illuminated trade-dress. I have one of those UBER logos that illuminates. Not because I wanna be a GEEK, but in Palm Springs -- there are very few street lights. So, the residents can enjoy the desert nights -- stars, mountains, etc... Picking up can be hindered. So, I got one of these signs, and I text the PAX i'm the car with the brightly lit Uber symbol. Works Great -- even in well lit busy streets.

An SUV pulls up, and drops off a group of girls. The driver gets out of the car and comes over to my car and says "Hi, I'm Gary, I work for UBER" (Very pleasant and professional) -- and proceeds to tell me my lit UBER symbol needs to go. He's all official and makes it sound like he works for UBER as an Exec or someone besides a driver. He tells me if "Zane" was out here and saw my sign I would be written up and likely terminate my contract.

He's sharply dressed, clean shaven, So, I'm treading lightly. I told him I'd stop using it. He indicated he had been passing out the emblems all night, and was out of them--or he would give me one. I asked him if he had a business card (he seems helpful enough--thought having his contact info may be useful down the road), and this appeared to catch him off guard. And he said no, not with him. THIS DIDN'T SIT WELL WITH ME.

You're out representing UBER as an EXEC, and you have no business cards. I was stressed about this the rest of the night. Was he? Wasn't he? Am I in trouble? Am I going to go home and find an email saying "YOU'RE CONTRACT IS TERMINATED?"

This morning, I wrote in to UberSupport -- and asked to confirm who GARY was. Told them the situation that had happened, told them why I had the illuminated sign in the first place., and assured them I wouldn't use it any more.

LITERALLY within 10 minutes, my phone rang from an 800 number. A man named Christian, from UBER was calling. He was obviously in a call center, and he was located in Phoenix (during the conversation he told me he was in Phoenix). He had a supervisor standing at his shoulder and he was repeating my conversation to the supervisor, and the supervisors comments back to me.

Bottom line -- THERE IS NO GARY THAT IS ANYTHING MORE THAN A DRIVER! -- He was able to look at all of my records with UBER, and we discussed the emblem, and indicated it was completely acceptable. He did comment that in some jurisdictions lit or flashing lights are illegal to have in the window while driving. I don't drive with it turned on--so that isn't an issue. It's purely a pick-up tool for me.

I inquired about a feed back issue that was on my report this week, and he read too me some of the comments from my feed back -- and told me my feed back is impressive and I have absolutely nothing to worry about with what I am doing, or the procedures I've adapted. I asked him to email me a follow up to my conversation with him so I have a record of him telling me the emblem was acceptable.

I have to tell you -- I was very impressed with the way he reached out. The fact a supervisor was brought in to this that they took this "Impersonator" issue seriously. And they are going to follow up and track down "GARY" -- I really hope that is the guys real name -- it shouldn't be to hard to find "GARY" that was operating as a driver in Palm Springs last night from their records.

MY REASON FOR WRITING THIS IS TO BRING IT TO THE ATTENTION OF ANYONE READING THIS -- If someone claims to be anything more than an UBER driver -- call them on it and follow up with UBER. Don't be a dick to him -- you just never know if he is who he says he is. Probably wouldn't hurt to jot down his license plate. I certainly will be doing that in the future.

And Gary -- if your in this forum and reading this -- Good luck keeping your contract with them. Supervisor was rather heated and I'm sure this isn't going to just be 'noted' somewhere. Christian said they will get to the bottom of this.

Oh, and YES -- I most certainly stored that 800 number. I don't know if it will accept incoming calls or whether it will actually lead anywhere helpful -- but next time I have a big enough issue, I'll try and call it and see!

Feeling a bit liberated after talking to Christian -- THANK YOU CHRISTIAN!

chi1cabby likes this.
  2. Don Oldenburg

Driving:
    UberX
    Here is a screen grab of Kristian's reply -- I noticed it came from UBER OPERATIONS also -- which, all of my other support stuff comes from UBER SUPPORT.

Attached Files:

chi1cabby likes this.
  3. jaimeritchie

jaimeritchie Active Member

Driving:
    UberX
    uber doesnt have many rules. accept most requests, stay alive. thats it basically. the way you wanna run your uber car is on you. he didnt like the competition in front of him. there are many *******s like this out there. if anyone tells you what you need to do with ur uber driving, tell them to **** off cuz they are liars and trying to thin you out of the industry. remember that ;)

4. Don Oldenburg

Driving:
    UberX
    If this ever happens again -- I'm going to grab my phone and snap his picture! LOL... the sad part is -- I took out my dash cam yesterday morning -- had some custom length cables made for it, and needed to re-wire it... LOL... so no recording last night...

I'll keep my eye open for him... All I remember about his car was it was a TAN SUV.

ROFL...

5. jaimeritchie

Driving:
    UberX
    that wud be awesome if u ran into him again, went up to him, and started recording asking for his uber info for your lawyer and his to discuss. he wud **** himself lol!!

6. Don Oldenburg

Driving:
    UberX
    LOL... Yeah! You can be sure -- this guy is on my radar... I just hope that Kristen knows what he's talking about. I'd hate for it to be the CEO of UBER or something, and a low level CSR didn't know who it was... ROFL... That did cros my mind. WHich is why I asked him to send me the reply. LOL.

7. Don Oldenburg

Driving:
    UberX
    But for right now, I want to think of Kristen as my hereo!!!!

8. jaimeritchie

Driving:
    UberX
    hey if hes legit, he would have proof on him. if ur a big wig at a multibillion dollar co. ur gna have atleast cards on you. if hes legit, hed be happy to be recorded knowing hes right, ive known MANY big wigs and they all pretty much have the same habits. ur good! keep an eye out cuz only god knows how many drivers hes messed with.

9. Don Oldenburg

Driving:
    UberX
    Thanks Jaime, Ritchie, JaimeRitchie.
    LOL

jaimeritchie likes this.
  10. RogerJS

RogerJS Well-Known Member

Don, you sound like a nice guy but very gullible, your not an employee, Uber can't void your contract like that. By the way where did you get the light up Uber sign? Also on the LA forum someone did post a letter from Uber that the light up signs weren't to be used any longer

11. Don Oldenburg

Driving:
    UberX
    I'm not at all gullible -- This guy was professionally dressed and convincing.

And yes, employee or independent contract they can cancel your contract/employment or relationship -- JUST LIKE THAT! As easy as I can say "I am not going to drive for uber any longer" -- they can say "Don won't be driving for UBER any longer!".

If we are an IC, they can void the relationship for any reason -- nothing that says they have to let me be an IC for them. If my ratings fall below 4.6 they can terminate the relationship, or for any thing they don't like about what I do. -- whether employee/employer, or vender/client -- Both sides are in this "AT WILL"

And I'm not in the LA market -- and now I've got a letter from UBER that says I can in fact use the sign. So clearly i'm not gullible. This guy was not your typical driver... he was dressy, carried himself well, dress jacket, and looked "important" -- I haven't been doing this long enough to know whether or not they actually send management into the field or not... So, I treaded lightly -- then contacted uber... and got to the bottom of this. Clearly you and I have different ideas of what GULLIBLE is.

And the sign came from Ebay. Which I will continue to use now that I've got the "go ahead" from UBER.

12. Amsoil Uber Connect

Amsoil Uber Connect Well-Known Member

I highly doubt any driver would be approached by an Uber Exec. Unless in La Qunita for a round of Golf.

PS is not that big of a place as I use to live there in the mid 70's. If you run into them again, log off, take pics, follow and possibly call the PD?.

Funny though I had a similar thing happen to me and a high school friend back in 76 in PS. Got pulled over by a couple of guys impersonating an officer, they hand a red light and badge. Fortunately nothing came of it accept a good scare since we did have open containers and under age at the time.

13. elelegido

elelegido Well-Known Member

Obviously Gary is real, and he really is an Uber manager.

Your emails and phone calls are being monitored. Your outbound email to support was intercepted and you were contacted by an impostor pretending to be from Uber. "They" are watching you, and you have been targeted because of your use of the illuminated sign; they want to lull you into a false sense of security about using it. If I were you, I'd watch my back, especially when "lit up".

RogerJS likes this.