Laguna Beach Uber Attack

arto71

Driver felt uncomfortable ,cancelled the ride and asked them to exit the vehicle.
Means trip was thru the app.
Why authorities are hoping video would help them to catch suspects?
Can't they contact uber?

Last edited:

Ccrunner62

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I haven't really got clarification on weather we can carry or not so im assuming we can

Adieu

This is why you carry a weapon. If not a pistol (cause CCW permits are hard), then mace, or a taser, or a Louisville Slugger.
Louisville Slugger? How are you planning to use THAT inside your vehicle?

For blunt striking weapons:

1) hammer - more concerned about life-or-death situations, recommended: Stanley Antvibe

2) rubber mallet - nonlethal, more concerned about liability, and can be more easily justified as "being on hand for a non-weapon purpose" (door or dash panel pops out from heat sometimes or something)

groovyguru

Regarding weapon of choice, first the foot, applied directly to the gas pedal, harshly. Drive off (and over if need be) aggressive attackers before they pull you out of the car. Second, the door of your car, slammed hard into and on the attacker over and over again. Third, a knife. SOG makes a really great fast opening knife, the SOG Twitch XL, http://www.sogknives.com/twitch-xl-wood-handle.html Pull it out and shove it into the gut of the attacker. Might as well kill the bastard, and doing it with a legal carry knife of legal size will save you some legal grief. You won't have the space to fit a baseball bat and may not have the time to pull a gun out of a hiding place, unless you do like a friend of mine did and have a finger print box installed under your drivers seat on a spring loaded opening system so the gun slides out on a tray between your legs. And just for fun, another friend of mine designed a perforated panel packed with explosives that installs on the door and blows out with the push of a button. It has just enough kick to blow a dumba** across the street, but is directional so the driver is safe. He never built it, of course, but it would make a great accessory for an uBer driver. (I kept a boot knife in the tray in under the front driver's seat in my E350, and a Destroyer drywall tool in my trunk, and some mace in the side door, and carried a knife, and had a Glock in the trunk for when things got long term out of hand. This is perhaps overkill, and perhaps negative in the attitude department, and probably why many of you would be happy to know that I don't drive anymore.

Last edited:

sekani

Y'all forgetting that some of your assailaints are likely to be IN your car????
If you're trying to fight a pax while sitting in the driver's seat, I think you're doing it wrong.

Pull the vehicle over, exit with your self-defense tool of choice in hand, open the rear door and order them out. Depending on the severity of the situation you can either call 911 and report an attempted carjacking or you can defend yourself from a drunken assault.

Then you can close your car door yourself to keep them from slamming it in anger.

UberLaLa

If you're trying to fight a pax while sitting in the driver's seat, I think you're doing it wrong.

Pull the vehicle over, exit with your self-defense tool of choice in hand, open the rear door and order them out. Depending on the severity of the situation you can either call 911 and report an attempted carjacking or you can defend yourself from a drunken assault.

Then you can close your car door yourself to keep them from slamming it in anger.
EXTREMELY BAD ADVICE...

Unless passenger/s have some kind of weapon, you will be charged with assault with a deadly weapon, or at minimum deactivated for threatening a passenger/s.

NEVER EVER DO THIS...

sekani

EXTREMELY BAD ADVICE...

Unless passenger/s have some kind of weapon, you will be charged with assault with a deadly weapon, or at minimum deactivated for threatening a passenger/s.

NEVER EVER DO THIS...
At what point is the driver assaulting anyone? I have a legal right to kick anyone out of my personal property. There is no violence unless they want to start some.

And duck whatever Uber thinks.

groovyguru

EXTREMELY BAD ADVICE...

NEVER EVER DO THIS...
What are you supposed to do, LaLa? I told three guys (in my car) who threatened me with death once that I would just speed up to 130 and wreck the car and kill us all. They settled down after that. Usually, when a bad person begins to fear they may suffer injury or death, they back off. It is no longer worth it to them. I think they gave me a one star.

UberLaLa

At what point is the driver assaulting anyone? I have a legal right to kick anyone out of my personal property. There is no violence unless they want to start some.

And duck whatever Uber thinks.
We can only match whatever violence we are threatened with. If they attack with hand we can match that, but if there is more than one of them, and no video evidence (as there luckily happened to be in this story) the majority of them can conspire and say we started the violence. : o

I have Pepper Gel right next to me at all times....I don't need to open any compartment to access it. Pepper Gel is not a weapon. Will I be deactivated by Uber for having to use it? Probably, but I stand a better chance of not being injured or arrested.

If a passenger brandishes any type of weapon (knife, gun, anything in their hand they threaten physical violence with) all bets are off....pull out any weapon you might have - well any weapon that is legal to possess, that is.

Last edited: