1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Ladies... Some help here...

Discussion in 'Stories' started by UberAwkwardAcuraGirl, Oct 11, 2018.

1. UberAwkwardAcuraGirl

UberAwkwardAcuraGirl

Driving:
    UberX
    Ok, so here's some background. I'm a 32 year old single (but dating) female who drives a 2018 Acura, blah, blah, blah, I'm only 5 foot nothing and weigh a slightly overweight 135 lbs. Some see me driving for Uber / Lyft as a disaster warning to happen, but I actually enjoy it.

Last weekend I had a very nice male pax who I dropped off at a bar and as I pull up, the bouncer and another very drunk (see also: belligerent) are standing outside. The bouncer says "Uber?" as my pax steps out of the car & my first thought is "oh ****, here we go..."

First off, I'm not a cab, you can't just put this guy, who doesn't know what planet he's on in my car. Second of all, no. I hate these guys! The last one I had proceeded to touch my shoulder & after going back to pickup location for his lost cell (never again) got out of my car to drive HIMSELF home, but I digress.

Unbeknownst to me, I must have immediately made an honest facial expression that screamed "please no" because my pax being a Southern gentleman starts saying loudly "I'll get you another Uber". About this time, the bouncer & drunk guy walk up to my driver side window and drunk guy exclaims "I like your shirt!" in which he can barely see. I do believe what he meant to say is "I like your boobs & cleavage".

Long story short, my pax ended up saving my ass for me... not the bouncer!

So, I'm curious, how do you ladies handle situations such as these? Lie & say you have another ride? Ignore & drive off? I really don't mind the drunk ones - it's the absolutely belligerent ones that scare me!

3.75, tohunt4me and Rakos like this.
  2. Rakos

Rakos

Driving:
    UberXL
    Boy...32 and a 'Bama girl.....8>O

Girl....you just love a challenge...dont you..

Look up...smile real big....

And then STEP ON THE GAS....

By the time they realize what happened...

You will be three blocks away...8>)

Rakos
    m-amp-039-kay_c_1377359.jpg

3. MHR

MHR Moderator

Had you accepted the ping that this rider or bouncer sent out?

If you didn’t get the ping you were not their driver so no harm no foul.

If you had accepted their ping and arrived to find the guy too drunk you could have cancelled when you saw how drunk he was, rider made me feel unsafe, something along those lines. I don’t know what the cancellation options are lately.

Courtney M, Uber Crack, -JR- and 6 others like this.
  4. That situation is a common one all drivers face, and not really one of the many unique challenges lady drivers face.

Just be very clear, and lock your doors the moments your pax exits.
    “That’s not how it works. You guys need to request an Uber through the app.

Although I gotta say I love the shirt comment.
    I use it often and also always make a comments about anything the shirt might say.
    The best is when it has a lot of writing but I can’t finish reading it because it curves around around the boob.
    I assume they want me to read it so I make sure I do.

5. UberAwkwardAcuraGirl

UberAwkwardAcuraGirl

Driving:
    UberX
    Nope. There was no ping! Lol. I'm not sure either of them (the drunk guy or the bouncer) really knew how Uber worked. But I was just curious how others handled situations such as these.

And yes, I'm in Huntsville, Alabama. :)

Hahaha, I guess we ask for it when wearing a shirt with text on it. But I will clarify, this shirt did not have any text. Honestly, if it had been anyone else, he had actually been in my car, or he wasn't out of his mind drunk, I probably would not have cared. It was just obvious it wasn't the shirt that he liked, being at the angle he was. ;)

6. No ping, no worries: nobody should be getting in your car period. Immediately drive away from the drunk zone (and possibly go offline until safely far away).

7. Stop

Slightly off topic but a bit of advice for you and your 2018 Acura.
    -take a moment, maybe 5 min. Get inside, roll up the windows and just smell that fresh car smell.
    -Lay out on the backseat, feel the comfort
    -look at your reflection in the paint

You will get used to the smells of BO and vomit, the dings and scratches, the stickiness that just never unsticks....its all just normal wear and tear in the Gig, but its great to have the memories above to hold on to

8. NO WAY! The backseat is already infected with pax cooties and pax farts! :D

9. MHR

MHR Moderator

Absolutely spot on. You tell the bouncer or whomever that they need to request an Uber. Then you turn off the app so you don’t get the ping and drive away.

Or you say nothing and drive away. If they don’t know how Uber works it’s not up to you to explain it so you can get stuck with drunk pax.

10. UberAwkwardAcuraGirl

UberAwkwardAcuraGirl

Driving:
    UberX
    Don't you worry! My car & I spent a cherished 6 months enjoying life together before I started driving for Uber & Lyft so I've done all of the above and then some to last a fairly long lifetime.

I actually still keep her fairly clean (as much as you can driving this "job") but nothing like when I was hand washing & waxing once a week after immediately following my purchase and/or before I started 'driving'.

This will likely be my one & only new car purchase in my lifetime so I'm soaking it up as much as I can.

11. Uberest

Uberest

Driving:
    UberX
    Couple things:

1. No ping no ride. That’s for sure!

2. If ping accepted, you drive up and feel uncomfortable **for any reason** you have option to cancel always. You aren’t somehow “required” to do the ride.

3. Depending on the situation, you should feel free to say something like “I’m sorry I’m just not comfortable doing this ride” or a white lie such as “ my husband just asked me to come home”.

Some street sense is useful. Good luck!

Oops I just realized you asked “Ladies”, I’m not a lady lol.

12. Christinebitg

Christinebitg

Driving:
    UberX
    Last weekend, I had a woman climb into my car and ask me if I could take her home. I said that I was sorry, but I'm here to meet someone who has already arranged for her trip. (My actual rider and I had already made eye contact, and was crossing the street.)

"You have to book it through the app."

I don't have enough cleavage to get excited about, although I'm told there are supposedly guys who like small boobs.

Christine

-JR-, Pfestus, tohunt4me and 2 others like this.
  13. MHR

MHR Moderator

Neither are half the other posters however this scenario minus the chest gazing happens to both males and females :D

14. Christinebitg

Christinebitg

Driving:
    UberX
    And why are you using a 2018 for this? I drive an Acura RDX, but it's a 2010.

C

Yeah, I do too. :)

C

15. UberAwkwardAcuraGirl

UberAwkwardAcuraGirl

Driving:
    UberX
    It's a long story, but I didn't get the car to specifically drive Uber. But I have the car now & decided I wanted to make a little extra money & this is the only vehicle I own... sooo... Here I am, driving Uber in my new car. :D I will add, my car is paid for, so I plan on driving the wheels off of it whether I drive for Uber or not.

16. Christinebitg

Christinebitg

Driving:
    UberX
    If you got the car via a sad series of events, I am sorry for you.

I am, however, glad that you're not one of those people who come on here and say, "Should I buy or lease a new car to drive for Uber???" (Extra question marks intentional, as they're typically used in the original)

C

17. Go offline before saying 'All rides requested must be done on the Uber platform'. Then act surprised when you're not the driver. Illegal to take people outside of the app.

18. UberAwkwardAcuraGirl

UberAwkwardAcuraGirl

Driving:
    UberX
    Let's just say I hope I'm never on the bad end of a car accident that allows me the luxury of paying for a new car ever again. It's not all luxuries though. Not seeking sympathy, but that car accident's effects will live with me likely for the rest of my days & currently hinders my ability to get a 'regular' job as others have, or as I've had in the past.

With that being said, you guys stay safe out there & watch out for the idiots on the road - although some are simply unavoidable. o_O

This is all GREAT advice, though! Besides I'm admittedly terrible at lying... lol! I'm obviously going to have to work on that.

I did immediately go offline in hope's they would send a ping to someone else besides me. Drove the same pax I had dropped off at the bar home, and he said he tried to call (and pay for) drunk guy's Uber & he never would give up his drop off address, said he could walk home, and proceeded to try to start a physical altercation with him. *Sigh* I was glad I did get the opportunity to thank him for doing all of that, though.

Christinebitg, tohunt4me and MHR like this.
  19. HotUberMess

HotUberMess

Just an fyi, by law they’re not allowed to e-hail you (hailing off the street like this bouncer tried). There are actual stings out there depending on where you are, and the typical sting involves the rider begging you to take them, and if you agree, then you’re in for trouble.

They have to do it through the app

20. I mean given the choice, I might pick the larger ones.
    But I’m always ready and willing to take one for the team.

That’s just the kind of guy I am. Always putting others interests first.