LA times story on Uber / Lyft getting closer to LAX pickups

JaredJ

Granted, having a pickup at arrivals after putting someone out at departures would be nice, but does anyone else think this is the last straw before cabbies lose their shit? I feel like we have a contemptuous balance right now. Rideshares dominate everywhere but LAX arrivals. I say let them keep it so we can keep doing our thing relatively unfettered. This is just going to lead to more regulation and cost.

Not to mention... People drive horribly at the airport. Even Neanderthals lasted for a while alongside homosapiens. Let cabbies die out on their own through attrition.

20yearsdriving

Granted, having a pickup at arrivals after putting someone out at departures would be nice, but does anyone else think this is the last straw before cabbies lose their shit? I feel like we have a contemptuous balance right now. Rideshares dominate everywhere but LAX arrivals. I say let them keep it so we can keep doing our thing relatively unfettered. This is just going to lead to more regulation and cost.

Not to mention... People drive horribly at the airport. Even Neanderthals lasted for a while alongside homosapiens. Let cabbies die out on their own through attrition.
Yes sure..........

Optimus Uber

This is what I got last night from there: Western/Imperial, Marina del Rey, Manhattan Beach, W LA, and border of LA/BH. Seems like all the long trip has already left the building as far as taxi is concerned.
How much would that net on an uberx? Probably a whopping $100 if that? Gas alone was $22.
Okay, I also got return trips from Westchester to LAX that came $9 but paid $15, and from La/BH border..
I wouldn't touch lax pickups. You'll end up dropping them off on century. Only if it surges, only if it surges.

UberComic

LAX pickups will turn even the noobs into bitter taxi drivers when they get a fare to El Segundo.

Wait hours... get $5.00

Uber On!
I've don't those you gotta be kidding me trips from Enterprise to El Segundo. At that point they should have taken a cab or UberBlack opted into Plus.

RogerJS

Picked up a Pax in Pasadena today, gorgeous home.. First stop was to drop off some things for his 35 ft sailboat in Marina Del Rey then on to LAX ... He was so excited because he thought he could get a Uber X to pick him up at the airport! When I told him he's out of luck for awhile anyway he says " oh well I'll just take the hotel shuttle and get my Uber from there " amazing

GooberX

LOL.....you haven't studied the rules.

You will drop off, then drive to the staging area (if you are one of the cars authorized), wait till they burn through the 40 cars in the lot, and then, and only then, drive through and pick up the rider....(I'm guessing 30-40 minutes)...who is perhaps going to Manhattan Beach for a nice $6 fare. Perhaps you will wait and get one to OC for $50/60, but eventually you will deadhead it back home.

If it happens, remember, YOU asked for it.

GooberX

I've don't those you gotta be kidding me trips from Enterprise to El Segundo. At that point they should have taken a cab or UberBlack opted into Plus.
I actually had one that I picked up at Terminal 6 who just wanted to go get In and Out, then headed back.

SIGH........at least it was $15, not $5.

groovyguru

LAX is a total waste of time for x drivers. Drop them off and high-tail it out of there. That whole area sucks for almost anything but $5 rides. That's hourly net for those of you who can do math, after real costs, like the kind the IRS says you are incurring. But then, x drivers pretty much just get $5 rides anyway...

Not Me

LOL.....you haven't studied the rules.

You will drop off, then drive to the staging area (if you are one of the cars authorized), wait till they burn through the 40 cars in the lot, and then, and only then, drive through and pick up the rider....(I'm guessing 30-40 minutes)...who is perhaps going to Manhattan Beach for a nice $6 fare. Perhaps you will wait and get one to OC for $50/60, but eventually you will deadhead it back home.

If it happens, remember, YOU asked for it.
Spot on, GooberX ! All drivers that want to pick up at LAX need to go to the staging area. First in, first out. 40 drivers in front of you, even on the busiest of days, will take about 40 minutes for you to get a request. Then, it's a catch-22; you either get a $5, $10, or $30 ride. Don't expect the long rides as 99 out of 100 pax come from nearby, not OC or DTLA. Probably most will be pissing off to Venice and Santa Monica for a $15 ride - commission - gas. Puts you back at under minimum for waiting at LAX.

Like I always say, don't believe us, just do it for yourself one time and you'll learn quickly.

Eat.Sleep.Drive

I predict frequent flyers who live near LAX will have very low ratings if they don't already.
You 'll be surprised by the amount of riders who live in the Venice-Redondo Beach corridor. Also, Culver City! Sometimes it feels like groundhog day. Even SM is a relief for a cab driver if it's by fwy. Otherwise, add that to the list too.. haha