1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

?? L*FT vs. UB*R ?? Hmm... '17 mid year update...

Discussion in 'San Diego' started by MaddMaxx, Jul 28, 2017.

1. MaddMaxx

MaddMaxx

Screenshot_20170728-022247.png Screenshot_20170728-022312.png HAHA ... I'm back from excile.... tic, tic, tic til I go back once again. Ohh well...It IS what it IS....

Me?... Can't buy a L ride (due to endless new recruitment) unless I force myself to try (... GH seem to work OK if you double dip). U rides are non stop but rarely surge and tips are minimal as of yet.

Strange thing though... L rides have been very KIND with tips lately. IDK, what have you all seen.

Disclosure: Tips were during GH on ComicCon (Nerds don't tip I've always heard)... So, they were wasted as they just went towards the gauranteed hourly rate anyway. But, this was the week that U announced tips in SD... Hmm (btw, cash tips were also good on L over Geek Week), but the extreme "Over Saturation" of new L drivers had NOT been my friend recently

TonyG likes this.
  2. I had a few Comic-Con folks tip. They were $1 tips, but I can't really complain. If there is one demographic that I found that doesn't tip, it's the college kids at the universities. My guess: they are using mommy and daddy's accounts. Or that tipping isn't common in Chinese or Indian traditions.

3. MaddMaxx

MaddMaxx

Don't wanna bring race into the mix, but in general the UCSD demo won't tip, but they do love a cheap ride to Convoy St

4. Haha :D Exactamundo no better way to put it ^^^

UberEsq likes this.
  5. 7Miles

7Miles

I agree about Chinese or Indians not tipping . However upside of having to deal with Chinese students is that there are no special needs or questions or problems. Take them from point A to point B - boom , done. All they want is point A => point B.
    Indians are different in that regard, I noticed many of them question your rout and try to macro manage you . I think that is because it seems like in India they don't trust each other . I read an article couple years ago, India as a country wanted to borrow some money . They got the money but only after they ship their gold for equal amount to I believe Switzerland as a collateral. That tells you something.

zenkikat and Wombat7 like this.
  6. MaddMaxx

MaddMaxx

... AND they don't have emotional support animals that they try and pass off as "service animals".

7. I once had an AZN man sit in my passenger seat and asked me if I knew where I was going...with my phone's navigation CLEARLY in plain view between the both of us. He kept making left/right hand gestures and telling me to stop at stop signs o_O sat in the car with him for a 32 min ride. No tip :rolleyes:

8. OMG, I can't stand that. So many people get in the car and say "do you have the address / do you know where you're going?". Fool, you just requested the ride. It's usually required that you enter the address before you can request a car.

Another thing that drives me bonkers is, even while I have the navigation giving turn-by-turn directions, the passenger says "turn left, now turn right". It's getting harder and harder to bite my tongue from being sarcastic.

Any ride that's longer than 20 minutes, should be worthy of a tip. It seems like something like this would be common knowledge / sense / human decency that the passenger would have, at least once, pop into their head.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2017
  9. Blushark

Blushark

When I start the trip I always do two things...1) ask their name to verify who is getting in 2) confirm the address where we are going. Once they say yes to both I start the trip...anyone who gives me directions I always say we will go with the navigation as it shows us the fastest route. They rarely ever try to give additional directions and when we approach drop off I ask them where they would liked to be dropped off. Almost always goes smoothly.

10. RIGHT LIKE FML lol

11. Right there with you. Usually I just turn the music up or roll my windows down to let'em know I not listening to all that jazz their talking about. Usually something passive aggressive to let them know to stfu. I see your destination, no need to tell me how to get there. And of course I get a low rating & a professionalism warning the next day. Lmao!

Kevin4163, Brokedriver and SteveSD like this.
  12. Seinfeld

Seinfeld

Driving:
    UberX
    Students don't tip, leave race out of it bud.

UberEsq likes this.
  13. To be fair, it can be attributed to culture and the fact that they are students, often being that they are on a budget or on a plan with their parents. I know everyone today are walking on eggshells these days when it comes to the slight mention of race, but I would like to be clear that what I'm talking about are cultural differences some passengers may have when it comes to tipping etiquette.

Wombat7 likes this.
  14. NCRBILL

NCRBILL

Driving:
    UberXL
    There are many areas that don't tip. Germany AND Asian countries come to mind

Wombat7 likes this.
  15. MaddMaxx

MaddMaxx

Brazilians don't tip either... Ask any waitress @ Cafe Sevilla in Gaslamp. But, they are cute and gotta love the accent!

Just sayin....

Nothin but love here for my Central/South American amigos (Mexico included). Entitled Americans can learn a thing or two from our south of the border neighbors...

But the common theme is... Under 30 = No Tip.

Convention center, Little Italy, airport, and suburbs seems to be best tippers.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2017
    UberEsq likes this.
  16. The best tip I got was from a young Mexican kid who I picked up on not so rich area and dropped of to an even not so Richie rich area.. (The hood). He asked if I had change for a 20 cause he wanted to give me a 10.. Kid humbled me in a second.

Charlie2.0 likes this.
  17. ding, ding, ding if my ratings can't take a hit I stay away from UCSD

18. Sometimes UCSD surges pretty decent. So if I'm in the area, I'll take a surge pax. That's the only reason I'll actively pursue rides up there.

UberEsq likes this.
  19. Sueuber

Sueuber

There are people from all races they don't tip.It's ur luck whom u r picking.Don't be raciest but I agree 99% Indians don't tip. See there names just cancel it.

Erik The Ant likes this.
  20. Pointing out mere differences in cultures isn't "raciest" (unless you are an editor at Buzzfeed). However, if someone said that the German race was overall superior to the Indian race, then yes, that would be racist. I think the true definition of the term "racist" has gotten very blurred in the past few years. Thanks, universities, social media and identity politics...

Lorip73 and sospad like this.