Knowing when to call it quits

LyftRus

Alright so I'm sure most of us have a breakpoint when it comes to driving and not making money.

When does one stop and realize it's time to head home.

- No pings within 30min to an hour
- averaging under $10/hour 4-8 hours

Or does one set a limit on driving for example 8 hours and whatver happens/what've i make is what ill deal it.

Driving in from suburbs to the city in hopes of having somewhat of a decent day and or night. You have to factor in 40-50 miles if not more rountrip to the city and back.

Knowing when to drive blah blah I don't need to hear. It's the luck of the draw I've been doing this long enough.

If I'm 3-4 hours in and barely getting pings and with only $30 made so far is where I reach my breaking point.

You can only drive around so much and park and sit so long.

Idk how some of you deal with situations like this but it's easily to get frustrated.

Maddhouse

In Myrtle Beach, I went hours on end without a ping, but most trips were $20-$30 so while it was frustrating sometimes it was worth it. I imagine in Chicago now like you said you might average $10 an hour but is it worth all the expenses you're paying. Some drivers don't have anywhere to turn for a job which I understand completely. My breaking point was I couldn't provide a steady source of income and week by week it was getting worse. Just an perspective from a different market. I haven't driven in Chicago in 2 years. Luckily I got my old job back which allowed me to quit Uber.

Whatevs

I'm usually about 30 to 45 minutes with no pings, I go home. But I also don't rely on making money with Uber, if I do it's just extra for me.

DaCoach

Alright so I'm sure most of us have a breakpoint when it comes to driving and not making money.

When does one stop and realize it's time to head home.

- No pings within 30min to an hour
- averaging under $10/hour 4-8 hours

Or does one set a limit on driving for example 8 hours and whatver happens/what've i make is what ill deal it.

Driving in from suburbs to the city in hopes of having somewhat of a decent day and or night. You have to factor in 40-50 miles if not more rountrip to the city and back.

Knowing when to drive blah blah I don't need to hear. It's the luck of the draw I've been doing this long enough.

If I'm 3-4 hours in and barely getting pings and with only $30 made so far is where I reach my breaking point.

You can only drive around so much and park and sit so long.

Idk how some of you deal with situations like this but it's easily to get frustrated.
The market is saturated! ! They keep putting more and more cars on the street!! That's y u will keep getting less and less as time goes by!! It's a big fat DEAD END buddy!! Time to fold up the tent!! It's just reality!!

BigHurt35

Depends on your financial situation. If you need money there seems to be never ending demand in the city, albeit not always at one trip after another and less and less increased rates.
If you need/want to work just sit back anywhere from south loop up to wrigleyville and you will get a ping usually within 20-30 minutes max. I dont sit in suburbs or even north of wrigleyville waiting for a trip bc no telling how long that will be. I'll usually accept though if i am in the area.

LyftRus

Depends on your financial situation. If you need money there seems to be never ending demand in the city, albeit not always at one trip after another and less and less increased rates.
If you need/want to work just sit back anywhere from south loop up to wrigleyville and you will get a ping usually within 20-30 minutes max. I dont sit in suburbs or even north of wrigleyville waiting for a trip bc no telling how long that will be. I'll usually accept though if i am in the area.

How would u feel being in the city from 3-9 and making $30?

20-30 min pings sometimes do not exist sometimes even in the hot spots.

Last edited:

Hazmat

I raked in $8.78/hr for 3.5 hours today. All idle time between 4 trips because I never deadhead to the city on a Friday because of heavy dead miles. Last Friday I did really well but it rarely happens 2 fridays in a row for me. Saturday and Sunday I'll bite the bullet and make the trip. I'll run the 8-10 hours unless I continuously run into idiots with too many riders (the last 5 idiots in Lake Bluff sealed the deal to head home tonight), or end up in the cesspool known as Midway without stacking.

I'm hanging with my dear friend Sam Adams at the moment. He gets me.

Juggernaut

I usually have a route that I drive and if I don't get a long on that route then I end up home. So it's a big O. Irving Park rd to Lake shore Drive to North Ave or Michigan Ave (depending on traffic) then over to Wicker Park and back home. But I usually get pings before I get home.

DaCoach

That's y I'll never do it and I just can't understand y anyone does!! The only people who benefit r the passengers because they get in these nice cars and get a free ride because their cheapasses who don't give 2 craps about u people! !

BigHurt35

In that case I probably would head home. I didn't work today but I saw quite a bit of surge going on downtown around 12ish and again around 2-3. More then likely all the newer drivers/vultures saw this and raced out to get part of the action.

DaCoach

They stay in these 1000 dollar a night hotels and they get into x cars. How cheap is that seriously?? I guess they can't afford anything else! ! Ridiculous! ! And then you wonder y they don't tip and don't respect you!! They r freeloaders who use you people and you continue to accommodate them!! I mean 25 dollars to go to ohare and 1000 a night hotel! ! What's wrong with that picture? ?

LoveTheBlues

That would suck and I'd be out of there. I don't drive all that often and tend to drive busy times I guess. But I've generally been able to maintain 20 an hour plus with incentives. I fall much below that and I call it a day. Are you driving both platforms?

quesie

Really sorry you're having a bad day. I don't know what horseshoe I swallowed today but I managed $171 for 6.5 hours online. All on Lyft. I've been out since 2 but had some offline time. 3 trips out of Ohare, 1 took me to Highland Park, then from there to North Chicago where I got 2 more good short trips taking sailors back to base. Plus $26 in tips. Only reason I had to stop was cause I was starving. Going back to see if I can maybe hit another $100.

mags2K

I raked in $8.78/hr for 3.5 hours today. All idle time between 4 trips because I never deadhead to the city on a Friday because of heavy dead miles. Last Friday I did really well but it rarely happens 2 fridays in a row for me. Saturday and Sunday I'll bite the bullet and make the trip. I'll run the 8-10 hours unless I continuously run into idiots with too many riders (the last 5 idiots in Lake Bluff sealed the deal to head home tonight), or end up in the cesspool known as Midway without stacking.

I had my share of 5 idiots last weekend going from a downtown bar to Rosemont hotel. I tell them my car can only take 4 Pax then this idiot insisted that his GF can sit on his lap. I refuse. He tells me no worries man and tries to get into the trunk. I say no go but he argues that he has done it before on other Lyft rides. Anyways I proceed to cancel the ride then the other Pax panic and ask him to get off and find another ride. Lol

emdeplam

180 days is too good...too many abtz coming. Need -270 days of cuts. Can't complain just cuz your breeder than the other drivers in line

Hazmat

I had my share of 5 idiots last weekend going from a downtown bar to Rosemont hotel. I tell them my car can only take 4 Pax then this idiot insisted that his GF can sit on his lap. I refuse. He tells me no worries man and tries to get into the trunk. I say no go but he argues that he has done it before on other Lyft rides. Anyways I proceed to cancel the ride then the other Pax panic and ask him to get off and find another ride. Lol

Haha. They knew its trespassing at that point, that's why.

Wil_Iam_Fuber'd

Sam and I are good friends also. We're gonna hang tomorrow. Tell him I said hello!!

Hazmat