kms you drive to make $100

x'ing

Hi Guys,
I am driving about 140-160kms to make $100. Does this sound about right? I am thinking if this is too high compared to everyone else I may need to modify my strategy (as I want to keep my kilometres to a minimum)

Avenig

I try and only drive if I can make more that $1 per km. But I am in Sydney and not too far away from core areas. Predicting and catching surges helps as well.

UberDriverAU

Hi Guys,
I am driving about 140-160kms to make $100. Does this sound about right? I am thinking if this is too high compared to everyone else I may need to modify my strategy (as I want to keep my kilometres to a minimum)
For a start of, what do you mean by "make $100"? $100 in fares, a $100 payout, $100 after all expenses and taxes?

LevelX

I try and only drive if I can make more that $1 per km. But I am in Sydney and not too far away from core areas. Predicting and catching surges helps as well.
Little harder in Melbourne to do, as we are only $1/km which is a lot lower than Sydneys $1.45 km base rate.

LevelX

I see. That makes sense then.
Yeah you guys get it good time up there....

uberX Sydney
  • Base Fare: A$2.50.
  • Per Minute: A$0.40.
  • Per Km: A$1.45.
  • Cancellation Fee: A$10.
  • Service Fees: A$0.
  • Minimum Fare: A$8.
compared to us

uberX Melbourne
  • Base Fare: A$2
  • Per Minute: A$0.32
  • Per Km: A$1
  • Cancellation Fee: A$10
  • Service Fees: A$0
  • Minimum Fare: A$6
So yes, lower per km and per min and our min is even lower :frown:

UberDriverAU

You seem to have all the answers, so you tell me...
No I don't. I'm just pointing out that highlighting a single headline rate ($/km) in isolation of everything else doesn't tell you much about how profitable operating in each city is. Operating in Melbourne might be more profitable than operating in Sydney despite the lower rates, but without all the relevant data it's not possible to tell. All operating costs need to be taken into account, insurance, rego, etc. What's good in Perth or Sydney, might not be good in Melbourne.

Bob28

My average is $1.19 per km gross fare including surge or $0.91 per km driven gross fare after uber fees
After GST and expenses $0.42 per km 0r net pay $11.70 per hour before income tax
Average driven 27.5km per hour Surge component is 11% of takings or 24.53 per hour online gross
Per hour
Fare km 16.4
Dead Km 11.1
In my case $100=109.9Km driven or 4 hours online
New driver still figuring out the system

Last edited:

Tom2828

I see. That makes sense then.
I'm sitting usually on 1.2+$ per km, usually 20-40% of my paying is surge and since my average speed is 28kmh the time is also a factor.

This number include all my private use as well

My average hourly rate after Uber cut is 35-40 now. Was 40-50 in 2015 !!

Paultl

Also, what's the average dead kms in each city? You need to know that if you want to make an accurate intercity comparison.
Just did calculations based on my 13 trips today, excluding surge or tolls, purely based on Base fare, km travelled and time. Vic = $204, NSW = $273, 34% higher.

Bob28

Hi Guys,
Don't except long pings and try to be in more passenger dense area dont chase surge