Kitsap?

Logger

I'm housesitting for my sister on Bainbridge for the next few days. Is there enough business to keep me busy between Bbridge, Poulsbo, Silverdale and Bremerton to make it worth my while? Thanks for any input.

AnfieldRiot

Very hit & miss. Long eta's for pick up's, lull's in demand and not having a pass to pick up on the bases is the major drawback of Kitsap. I used to take the ferry over once every two weeks to mix things up...sometimes it's an absolute goldmine on the regular platform but more often then not it's a very long stroll in the countryside.

Since it sounds like your doing it more for fun then for seeking an advantage over the masses, I'd say go for it. If the weather's nice, you'll have an interesting & scenic tour of Kitsap County. My tip, work the ferries and use the transit app to time your pick up's.

Logger

Very hit & miss. Long eta's for pick up's, lull's in demand and not having a pass to pick up on the bases is the major drawback of Kitsap. I used to take the ferry over once every two weeks to mix things up...sometimes it's an absolute goldmine on the regular platform but more often then not it's a very long stroll in the countryside.

Since it sounds like your doing it more for fun then for seeking an advantage over the masses, I'd say go for it. If the weather's nice, you'll have an interesting & scenic tour of Kitsap County. My tip, work the ferries and use the transit app to time your pick up's.

Thanks. Not doing it for fun, just trying to decide if I can stay out here rather than hassle with the ferry.

SKuber

I'm housesitting for my sister on Bainbridge for the next few days. Is there enough business to keep me busy between Bbridge, Poulsbo, Silverdale and Bremerton to make it worth my while? Thanks for any input.
North Kitsap can produce request a but the distance to the pick-up and the typical 5-10 mile ride you may find your driving two miles for every dollar you're paid. I try and avoid the north end of the county. I have noticed surges (not sure if they are real) during the BI ferry arrival times.

It is a 40 minute drive from BI to downtown Bremerton (longer if you get caught in the never ending construction at agate pass), or a 35 min ferry ride to seattle.

Bremerton and silverdale have become over saturated with lyft and uber X at times, you have to have a good understanding of central and South Kitsap to avoid the other ants and still make a buck. Surges are rare and used mostly to heard the ants into downtown Bremerton.

Ballard_Driver

Well, it probably won't be as good as over in Seattle, but after you factor in wasting your time traveling over here to work you may be better off just doing it over there. Give it a go and see what it's like. If it's so horrible you think it'll be worth traveling back and forth to work, then go for it.

Smashup

The population density is really just too low and so is the demand. If you only have a couple of hours to drive and you're already here, it's one thing. But if you're planning on driving all day, it's not worth your time.

Lyft was just offering to pay over labor day weekend $10 extra per ride for driving in Bainbridge, but that does nothing to actually create demand and there just is very little demand on Bainbridge Island except for an occasional Ferry rider wanting to go a mile or two home.

Smashup

Thanks for the input. Only way to really know is to give it a go. Bbridge is dead so far.

What I rarely see, are any promotional efforts by either Lyft or Uber to increase both demand and supply in any new area.

I am probably just unaware of it, but I don't see radio, billboard, media campaigns saying "Bainbridge, next month Lyft drivers will get to you in 5 minutes or less or the ride is on us!" or promotional discounts or anything while at the same time telling drivers "Head to Bainbridge on October for $2 extra per ride guaranteed!" And the same thing with all of the Olympic Peninsula.

They built it, but no one is coming. They should consider promoting it too.

Of course the real issue is that it's insanely dumb for most Olympic Peninsulans to take an Uber or Lyft.

All of these folks have cars and garages and pay for insurance, and it's 6 miles from the Bainbridge Ferry terminal just to get off Bainbridge, 13 miles to the Poulsbo Walmart and 20 miles to the Silverdale Mall. So $40 to get to the mall and back via ride share, or $3 for a gallon of gas.

Bremerton is a bit denser so the problem isn't as bad, but they still have to convince people who have cars, garages, free or cheap parking to give that up to take a ride share.

SKuber

It was pretty good out here for a while, the month of June brought an ant explosion for some reason. The USS Nimitz departed (those guys love thier uber) in the spring, the USS Stennis departed a couple weeks ago.

If you choose your hours and location wisely and luck into a couple seatac runs a week you can do ok. The bottom line is there are too many X cars in the county. Today at 10am (not a productive time to drive here) there were 16 cars between Silverdale and port Orchard. Demand can support about 5. No matter when I'm driving if I see more than 5 cars in the county I go home.

Surgeless in Seattle

It's worth your $$$ to go to Seattle. I live in Poulsbo. It sucked when there were hardly any drivers in Kitsap, it sucks now that there are more drivers in Kitsap, it just sucks.

You can work the ferry traffic (I'd suggest turning your app on before the ferry has docked). 9/10 rides in BI will be short, and just one shot from the ferry - that's why the cabbies drive minivans and load as many pax as they can into them - then deliver everyone like a school bus (yet charge full rate). You'll have better luck after the buses stop running, that's when the regular bus commuters are in a jam.

Uber pays more than Lyft out here.

If you buy the multi ride ticket the ferry's only $11.73 each way.

Logger

Last week, I parked my car in seattle and walked on. Which is a total pain, but it is too expensive to drive on. But at $11.73, it is much more doable. Today, I got two very short ferry runs (to the safeway), then headed out toward Bremerton and got one navy guy for a $15 ride. Then I quit. Today was an errand/rest day anyway after 9 days in a row. I suppose it could be possible to figure this area out, but I'm only here for about 2 weeks, so why bother. Looks like I'll be driving on. Thanks all for your comments, especially the multi-fare discount.

Surgeless in Seattle

The multi ride is a 20 ride pass. You can buy it online & just use a screenshot at the booth or get a ticket at the booth - if you opt for the latter definitely snap a photo of the ticket - that way if it's lost you're still fine. The pass is good for 90 days. If you don't think you'll use all 20 I bet your sister will probably buy the remaining rides ... if not, pm me.

Ballard_Driver

What I rarely see, are any promotional efforts by either Lyft or Uber to increase both demand and supply in any new area.

I am probably just unaware of it, but I don't see radio, billboard, media campaigns saying "Bainbridge, next month Lyft drivers will get to you in 5 minutes or less or the ride is on us!" or promotional discounts or anything while at the same time telling drivers "Head to Bainbridge on October for $2 extra per ride guaranteed!" And the same thing with all of the Olympic Peninsula.

They built it, but no one is coming. They should consider promoting it too.

Of course the real issue is that it's insanely dumb for most Olympic Peninsulans to take an Uber or Lyft.

All of these folks have cars and garages and pay for insurance, and it's 6 miles from the Bainbridge Ferry terminal just to get off Bainbridge, 13 miles to the Poulsbo Walmart and 20 miles to the Silverdale Mall. So $40 to get to the mall and back via ride share, or $3 for a gallon of gas.

Bremerton is a bit denser so the problem isn't as bad, but they still have to convince people who have cars, garages, free or cheap parking to give that up to take a ride share.

I think with these smaller areas it is 90% that rideshare just isn't useful for all the practical reasons you said, like you need to have a car anyway, trips are too long/expensive, parking is easy etc. It's hard to convince someone to do something that's completely stupid like waste their time and money to take an Uber in the middle of the day for 10x the cost they could drive their own car for. No matter how good your ad is it's not going to sell somebody on the idea. The only solid reason for anybody who isn't a total derelict (AKA doesn't own a car) to not drive is when they're going out drinking. Other than that maybe weird situations like your car is broke down, or bums who don't have cars or whatever SHOULD be your only rides in an area like that.

The other 10% is the lack of awareness though. Especially at rideshare rates you really need to have a higher density of riders for it to work for the driver. If you don't have enough density to support a lot of drivers then the pickup times suck, which encourages fewer rides, and it's all just a downward spiral. It's really just suited to bigger markets. They could/should advertise in those types of areas to see if they could hit a certain critical mass point to where it is at least workable... But I just don't think they care. Easier to just let them flounder along with little effort.

Surgeless in Seattle

I think with these smaller areas it is 90% that rideshare just isn't useful for all the practical reasons you said, like you need to have a car anyway, trips are too long/expensive, parking is easy etc. It's hard to convince someone to do something that's completely stupid like waste their time and money to take an Uber in the middle of the day for 10x the cost they could drive their own car for. No matter how good your ad is it's not going to sell somebody on the idea. The only solid reason for anybody who isn't a total derelict (AKA doesn't own a car) to not drive is when they're going out drinking. Other than that maybe weird situations like your car is broke down, or bums who don't have cars or whatever SHOULD be your only rides in an area like that.

The other 10% is the lack of awareness though. Especially at rideshare rates you really need to have a higher density of riders for it to work for the driver. If you don't have enough density to support a lot of drivers then the pickup times suck, which encourages fewer rides, and it's all just a downward spiral. It's really just suited to bigger markets. They could/should advertise in those types of areas to see if they could hit a certain critical mass point to where it is at least workable... But I just don't think they care. Easier to just let them flounder along with little effort.
There are those of us who already live here never intending to drive in these outlying areas - so no harm, no foul for the companies to cover outlying areas. Why not turn the app on out here?

The majority of my passengers aren't derelicts, rather they're bus failures (the bus doesn't run past 8 pm or holidays/Sundays). Sometimes I get drunks or the meth heads without a car, but I'm pretty far North for them.

Lyft/Uber is cheaper than the airport shuttle if you have a family going, those airport rides sure are unicorns ($100) but most people this far north take the 35 minute ferry to Seattle.

The most rides I get are Seattleites on the weekends in Bainbridge. Those I definitely call & qualify before I drive 12 miles to take them 1/2 mile. They never tip. Very often they've managed to make their way downtown from one of the outlying vineyards or breweries and don't realize they're a 5 min walk to the ferry (downhill even) and request rides from drivers 20+ minutes away.

With the way the water is I've actually received a request from Uber that was 31 miles away by road.

So the person that says expect to get paid 1 for every 3 miles.... hahaha! $1.50/mile doesn't make up for the dead miles, destination filter is a beautiful thing!

SKuber

No. There are simply too many drivers for the demand.

There is NOT enough parking in Bremerton for Ferry Riders, sailors and shipyard workers. People here need to get to the airport, they need to get to the bases, they need to get to the airport shuttle just like passengers in big cities. That hardly classifies them as deralicts.

The bus system in Kitsap County is useless for most of the residents .

After almost 1600 rides I have had one person (a meth head) that I wish would not have got in my car. Pretty good stat.

We make less since we drive farther for pickups and hardly ever ever enjoy a surge but I'm okay with that and enjoy driving at a slower pace with decent passengers.

As a retiree it is a nice supplement to my income but obviously not the place for someone trying to drive full time or use the money to pay bills.

I'm pretty sure an increase in advertisement would only increase the number of drivers. We don't live in caves out here we know what uber and Lyft are.

Smashup

There is NOT enough parking in Bremerton for Ferry Riders, sailors and shipyard workers. People here need to get to the airport, they need to get to the bases, they need to get to the airport shuttle just like passengers in big cities. That hardly classifies them as deralicts.

After almost 1600 rides I have had one person (a meth head) that I wish would not have got in my car. Pretty good stat.

We make less since we drive farther for pickups and hardly ever ever enjoy a surge but I'm okay with that and enjoy driving at a slower pace with decent passengers.

As a retiree it is a nice supplement to my income but obviously not the place for someone trying to drive full time or use the money to pay bills.

I'm pretty sure an increase in advertisement would only increase the number of drivers. We don't live in caves out here we know what uber and Lyft are.

I live nearish the area and mostly do not drive there except when I've time on my hands and heading to Silverdale. Then I'll turn on the app and let it lead me back and forth between Silverdale and Bremerton, and often I'll say at least 1 out of 10 pings is for a ride onto a base that I can't get on to.

I've had rides take me to the Southwest of Bremerton and rides take me up to Poulsbo, but unlike Seattle, I can't figure out any good places to just hang out and park waiting for a ride, except the Mall, and pings there are infrequent, or the Shipyard around 4 or so.

I think the best strategy is to Uber from your couch. (But I don't live in Bremerton.)

So if you don't mind my picking your brain in this area where there are already too many drivers, what is your strategy?

K-pax

Same with most outlying areas. Saturation can be 1 or 2 additional drivers. If there are 10 drivers in kent auburn or renton... not worth it unless passing through if you judt happen to get the request over the suckers sitting around trying to work the area as a strategy. 2 other drivers in the area and it can be profitable.