• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Killing Yourself to Live (long late night story)

I only have about 6 or 7 rideshare stories worth telling. Here’s one of them. This one was partly my fault, but I was pretty green at the time and I’ve since made a few adjustments.

It was a Saturday night back in Jan or Feb, coldest night of the year. It’s around 2:30 am and I had been driving downtown all night. I’m making a drop-off in a suburb close to my house. Group of college age girls, I was already tired but then these girls decided they wanted to talk to me the entire ride. They were really nice compared to other groups, but I felt like I was on a job interview. A million questions. I had already decided I this was gonna be my last ride and their grilling me made me even more tired. As I’m dropping them off a ping comes in, I go to decline it and hit accept by mistake. Screw it, I’ll do one more (mistake #1).

So I pull up to this townhouse and this dude comes stumbling out of the house looking hammered and disgruntled. I should have cancelled and rolled right then (mistake #2). I was 43 at the time and this guy looked to be around 10 years older than me. I had been driving college kids around all night and had some contemporary pop/hip hop station on the radio (mistake #3). So this dude gets in and off we go. I’m taking him about 25 minutes away to this area that’s kinda out there. So he’s not talking and we’re driving through windy dark roads. Basically we’re in bumbletown.

About 5-10min into the ride

Dude: “rrrghh let me ask you something”

Me: “what’s up man?”

Dude: “rrrghh how old are you?”

By the way he said that I knew he wasn’t asking because he was genuinely curious. He wanted to start some shit. In my head I’m thinking OK here we go.

Me: “43”

Dude: “why are you listening to this (English cigarette) music, are you some kinda (English cigarette) or something, you must suck dick”.

Except he didn’t say English cigarette. You all know what he said. The song that was playing was “I cant feel my face” by The Weekend so yea, I shoulda known better than to leave the college kid station on. This goes back to mistake#1, I wasn’t on my A game, I was tired and it was the end of the night. I'm gonna stop counting mistakes because there are too many to count from here on out.

After this dude asks me this I’m pissed, but I keep my composure. Had this guy just asked me to change the station or even made a friendly ball busting joke about it I woulda been totally cool with it and put on whatever he wanted. But no, this dude wanted to be a jerk. It was game on.

Rather than flip out I keep my cool.

Me: “Oh my bad man, what kinda music do you like?”

Dude: “heavy metal”

Me: “OK hold up I have something you’ll like”

I switch over to Spotify, pull up my trusty Black Sabbath playlist, put on the song “Killing Yourself to Live” and crank it. Instantly his mood changes and he’s loving it. We’re pals now. He’s drumming on the back of the passenger seat, yelling “You’re all right man, this is what I'm talking about..rock n roll”. I let him bask in his glory for another 10 seconds. Then I pull the car over, turn the Sabbath off, turn around, look him in the eye.

Me: “Yea well you don’t get to listen to that because you called me a (English cigarette) and told me I suck dick, all you had to do was be cool and ask me to change the station but you had to be a jerkoff. So we’re listening to the (English cigarette) music the rest of the ride”

In the short time playing the Sabbath song I had already pulled up the same song we had been listening to earlier, so I put it back on. He looks shocked, then immediately starts cursing up a storm calling me every name in the book lol. The rest of the ride was spent trading jabs about how bad we were gonna kick each other asses when we got to his house and referring to each other as female anatomy. I knew the guy wasn’t gonna do jack shit. When I dropped him off he slammed my door and made a b-line to his house.

At the end of the day this dude was lucky I was his driver. The only reason I didn’t kick him out of my car is because it was 6 degrees out, he was fall down drunk, and we were in the middle of nowhere. I’m pretty sure had I kicked him out there would have been a good chance he would have frozen to death and I would have been on the news as the ass hole Uber driver at fault. As much of a dick as this guy was being I couldn’t do that.

Comments

O-Side Uber

That stuff is pretty common late night. Drunk pax are unpredictable. It sounds like you were about to get a tip for changing the station , but the decision to punish him made everything worse. Might as well have bounced him right there in the boonies when he threatened you with gay slurs.

I’ve certainly felt that overwhelming contempt for my passenger that’s giving me a hard time. Usually I start shutting things off, like the air and radio . I then begin to look for a good place to end the ride if necessary . I haven’t had to bounce anyone mid trip YET. Usually the annoying ones were shorties anyway.

mch

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
That stuff is pretty common late night. Drunk pax are unpredictable. It sounds like you were about to get a tip for changing the station , but the decision to punish him made everything worse. Might as well have bounced him right there in the boonies when he threatened you with gay slurs.

I’ve certainly felt that overwhelming contempt for my passenger that’s giving me a hard time. Usually I start shutting things off, like the air and radio . I then begin to look for a good place to end the ride if necessary . I haven’t had to bounce anyone mid trip YET. Usually the annoying ones were shorties anyway.
Nah, it was way too cold to bounce him in the condition he was in and we were out in the boonies. Seeing the look on the dudes face when I turned the Sabbath off was worth the $5 he may or may not have tipped me. Judging how hammered he was I highly doubt there woulda been a tip. Hell, Id pay $20 to do it again.

Also. 21 year old mch would have fought the guy, wether he wanted to or not.

Ive never bounced anyone either. Ive cancelled a few trips before they started but this guy was the closest ive ever came to giving someone the boot. Unless you count two ahole kids I ditched at a wawa in the middle of nowhere.

Last edited:

oleole20

I only have about 6 or 7 rideshare stories worth telling. Here’s one of them. This one was partly my fault, but I was pretty green at the time and I’ve since made a few adjustments.

It was a Saturday night back in Jan or Feb, coldest night of the year. It’s around 2:30 am and I had been driving downtown all night. I’m making a drop-off in a suburb close to my house. Group of college age girls, I was already tired but then these girls decided they wanted to talk to me the entire ride. They were really nice compared to other groups, but I felt like I was on a job interview. A million questions. I had already decided I this was gonna be my last ride and their grilling me made me even more tired. As I’m dropping them off a ping comes in, I go to decline it and hit accept by mistake. @@@@ it, I’ll do one more (mistake #1).

So I pull up to this townhouse and this dude comes stumbling out of the house looking hammered and disgruntled. I should have cancelled and rolled right then (mistake #2). I was 43 at the time and this guy looked to be around 10 years older than me. I had been driving college kids around all night and had some contemporary pop/hip hop station on the radio (mistake #3). So this dude gets in and off we go. I’m taking him about 25 minutes away to this area that’s kinda out there. So he’s not talking and we’re driving through windy dark roads. Basically we’re in bumble@@@@.

About 5-10min into the ride

Dude: “rrrghh let me ask you something”

Me: “what’s up man?”

Dude: “rrrghh how old are you?”

By the way he said that I knew he wasn’t asking because he was genuinely curious. He wanted to start some shit. In my head I’m thinking ok here we go.

Me: “43”

Dude: “why are you listening to this (english cigarette) music, are you some kinda (english cigarette) or something, you must suck dick”.

Except he didn’t say english cigarette. You all know what he said. The song that was playing was “I cant feel my face” by The Weekend so yea, I shoulda known better than to leave the college kid station on. This goes back to mistake#1, I wasn’t on my A game, I was tired and it was the end of the night. Im gonna stop counting mistakes because there are too many to count from here on out.

After this dude asks me this I’m pissed, but I keep my composure. Had this guy just asked me to change the station or even made a friendly ball busting joke about it I woulda been totally cool with it and put on whatever he wanted. But no, this dude wanted to be a @@@@@@@@. It was game on.

Rather than flip out I keep my cool.

Me: “Oh my bad man, what kinda music do you like?”

Dude: “heavy metal”

Me: “ok hold up I have something you’ll like”

I switch over to spotify, pull up my trusty Black Sabbath playlist, put on the song “Killing Yourself to Live” and crank it. Instantly his mood changes and he’s loving it. We’re pals now. He’s drumming on the back of the passenger seat, yelling “You’re all right man, this is what Im talking about..rock n roll”. I let him bask in his glory for another 10 seconds. Then I pull the car over, turn the Sabbath off, turn around, look him in the eye.

Me: “Yea well you don’t get to listen to that because you called me a (English cigarette) and told me I suck dick, all you had to do was be cool and ask me to change the station but you had to be a jerkoff. So we’re listening to the (English cigarette) music the rest of the ride”

In the short time playing the sabbath song I had already pulled up the same song we had been listening to earlier, so I put it back on. He looks shocked, then immediately starts cursing up a storm calling me every name in the book lol. The rest of the ride was spent trading jabs about how bad we were gonna kick each other asses when we got to his house and referring to each other as female anatomy. I knew the guy wasn’t gonna do jack shit. When I dropped him off he slammed my door and made a b-line to his house.

At the end of the day this dude was lucky I was his driver. The only reason I didn’t kick him out of my car is because it was 6 degrees out, he was fall down drunk, and we were in the middle of nowhere. I’m pretty sure had I kicked him out there would have been a good chance he would have frozen to death and I would have been on the news as the ass hole Uber driver at fault. As much of a dick as this guy was being I couldn’t do that.
You have some balls, I wouldn't do what you did. I would just play his favorite song or station, drop him off, give 1star and file a report.

mch

If I had a nickle for every-time at 2-3am i decide to take one more ride... and it turns out to be the worst one of the night?

I'd be rich.
Yep, that's one I don't think I'll ever learn from though. Because sometimes they also turn out to be the best rides
Post automatically merged:

You have some balls, I wouldn't do what you did. I would just play his favorite song or station, drop him off, give 1star and file a report.
This guy didn't intimidate me in the least. I had a guy once who scared the sh*t out of me. I stayed on his good side and we were buddies the whole ride but he was going from raging mad, to laughing, to balling his eyes out uncontrollably about some stuff that was going on with his girl. That whole ride I was praying to myself that he wouldn't turn on me. I could tell that guy was a bad mother@@@@er. The guy I pulled this on, I could tell wasn't. He was the drunk guy who gets his ass kicked at the bar. .

Last edited:

Donshonda

No you wouldn't. Even if you have been driving for 10 years and it happened every single night, you'd have $182.50. There can only be one per night that is the worst one of the night.
Thanks for checking the math for me. I guess my point is? It happens all the time... but most people read between the lines, instead of doing the math to prove someone wrong... when the math wasn't the point to begin with. But I guess that one got away from ya too.... Its a figure of speech, an old saying.... eh forget it.

doyousensehumor

Great story!

My notes below are for others reading this.
So I pull up to this townhouse and this dude comes stumbling out of the house looking hammered and disgruntled. I should have cancelled and rolled right then (mistake #2).
Saftey reasons is why we cancel pax like these.
Stumbling, and Anger, are a indication of a risk to the driver.
Instantly his mood changes and he’s loving it. We’re pals now. He’s drumming on the back of the passenger seat, yelling “You’re all right man, this is what Im talking about..rock n roll”. I let him bask in his glory for another 10 seconds.
Now that you are stuck with him, how the driver interacts with them, is how they will interact back.

I know the drunk who is easy to piss off, but easy to make up. That ride was salvagable. See how easy it is to manipulate him?
The only reason I didn’t kick him out of my car is because it was 6 degrees out, he was fall down drunk, and we were in the middle of nowhere. I’m pretty sure had I kicked him out there would have been a good chance he would have frozen to death
It's not about the pity for pax. Scratch that. Don't let pity stop you from doing the right thing.

What would be going on in my head, is how emotionally weak this pax may have been. Kicking out the pax would have enraged him, as opposed to completing the ride. Less of a hazard to complete the ride.

Unless you lose your bananas...

Past this, you lost it, and started messing with him.
You had a pax who was becoming predictable. Now he's unstable. This is the worst part of that ride.

Does noone else look at the way a pax behaves, and stratigically weigh risks, to make calculated decisions? It's like revenge and retalitation is more important for some of you.

mch

Great story!

My notes below are for others reading this.

Saftey reasons is why we cancel pax like these.
Stumbling, and Anger, are a indication of a risk to the driver.

Now that you are stuck with him, how the driver interacts with them, is how they will interact back.

I know the drunk who is easy to piss off, but easy to make up. That ride was salvagable. See how easy it is to manipulate him?

It's not about the pity for pax. Scratch that. Don't let pity stop you from doing the right thing.

What would be going on in my head, is how emotionally weak this pax may have been. Kicking out the pax would have enraged him, as opposed to completing the ride. Less of a hazard to complete the ride.

Unless you lose your bananas...

Past this, you lost it, and started messing with him.
You had a pax who was becoming predictable. Now he's unstable. This is the worst part of that ride.

Does noone else look at the way a pax behaves, and stratigically weigh risks, to make calculated decisions? It's like revenge and retalitation is more important for some of you.
Yea but he started it!😂

On a serious note I pretty much agree with everything you said. I definitely shouldn't have been so immature about it. I'm usually laid back and let things slide. I've let comments from pax go before without even giving them a second thought. But that night I drove home with a big shit eating grin on my face and don't regret a minute of it. Some of us older dudes still have a little bit of that @@@@ you streak in us that we had when we were in our 20s.

Plus this is now one of my go to stories when I get asked "Have you ever had to deal with any @@@@@@@@?" Pax seem to like it.

Clarity

Then I pull the car over, turn the Sabbath off, turn around, look him in the eye.
Haha nice. You got a lot of courage to handle it the way you did.

There was this passenger who kept moving in the back seat. I couldn't understand why he just wouldn't sit still, maybe he was adjusting his jacket or something. I gave myself a mental countdown. If he didn't stop after 10 seconds I'm gonna have to turn around to look at him to see what's going on. Sure enough after 10 seconds he didn't stop. At the light or stop sign I turned around and looked at him and he froze and looked back me a little startled. I turned back around and continued driving. He didn't make anymore noise for the rest of the ride.

Usually I start shutting things off, like the air and radio .
I've done that in the past to people who use their phone with volume too high. I have deliberately made it more awkward for everyone by making the ride so quiet and everyone has to listen to their phone. It works well if they have friends or family riding with them because they will feel so uncomfortable and finally say something or give them the stink eye.

Last edited:

mch

Haha nice. You got a lot of courage to handle it the way you did.

There was this passenger who kept moving in the back seat. I couldn't understand why he just wouldn't sit still, maybe he was adjusting his jacket or something. I gave myself a mental countdown. If he didn't stop after 10 seconds I'm gonna have to turn around to look at him to see what's going on. Sure enough after 10 seconds he didn't stop. At the light or stop sign I turned around and looked at him and he froze and looked back me a little startled. I turned back around and continued driving. He didn't make anymore noise for the rest of the ride.

I've done that in the past to people who use their phone with volume too high. I have deliberately made it more awkward for everyone by making the ride so quiet and everyone has to listen to their phone. It works well if they have friends or family riding with them because they will feel so uncomfortable and finally say something or give them the stink eye.
Hahaha you must have that no nonsense, im not @@@@ing around look